Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot - No CD-Drive

Beans

Dual Boot - No CD-Drive

I am currently using an Eee PC 1005HA with Ubuntu installed. I'd like to dual boot with Windows XP. How can I do this without a CD drive? I have an external hard drive that I used to install Ubuntu in the first place and a Windows XP install CD with key.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dual Boot - No CD-Drive

OK, the wubi reference mystifies me because, from what I can tell, the OP wants to install XP, not Ubuntu inside XP...

If you have the ability to boot from USB, you could try migrating the XP files to an USB stick and boot using that.

But, since you can't install MS Windows from inside Ubuntu, I don't have any other solutions.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

You could do this, I've used it many times, works fine (only tried with 32-bit installs though...)

Flash drive Ubuntu install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    OK, the wubi reference mystifies me because, from what I can tell, the OP wants to install XP, not Ubuntu inside XP...
    You are in fact right. Don't know how I missed it. My apologies.
    As far as I am aware, Windows requires at least a CD drive (external, virtual or otherwise) to install.
    Last edited by labinnsw; April 28th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Beans

Sorry, upon re-reading your post, I now realize you are wanting to install XP after Ubuntu, which I haven't done, but I've seen is not as straightforward, especially with the bootloader, you'd want to keep Grub, but I've never installed in this order, so can't tell you how straightforward that is.

Here is a help page detailing how install windows after ubuntu:

windows after ubuntu

But, you'd still want to make a usb install drive for xp. I Googled, and there is a bewildering array of ways/opinions, here's just one:

XP USB install

Good luck

Beans

You know, if you have an external drive and want to actually install xp and have both systems on the hard drive, (versus having xp on a usb drive and always booting into that when you use xp), you could install from that, just on booting, go into BIOS, change boot priority to external device, reboot with external drive attached and xp install disc in, and you should be able to install it. I would have all partitions already set up and know where I'm going to install xp (I'd think after the Ubuntu partition, or partitions will get renumbered and Grub may not know where to find things, but I've never done an install of Windows after Ubuntu, so....)

Then reboot, go to BIOS, reset boot priority to hard drive, and cross fingers. First, read the help page from previous post on installing Windows after Ubuntu and dealing with bootloaders......

Beans

Ignore last post, thought you had and external CD/DVD drive, not hard drive........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Deleted.
    Last edited by labinnsw; April 28th, 2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Deleted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To the Admins/Moderators,

Why don't you people introduce a feature like "Automatically saving drafts" while a user is trying to answer a post?
    I just wrote almost a whole length of tutorial before the power-cut ditched me.

Damn, i've to do it again !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast