Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install Firefox tar.bz2 file after extracting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How to install Firefox tar.bz2 file after extracting

Hey there Folks...I'm pretty noob-ish but I did manage to right-click the Firefox tar.bz2 file and choose to 'extract here'...now I've got the new extracted folder on the desktop but I'm lost as to how to run the installation of the 3.7 alpha 4 release. Any help would greatly be appreciated (!)

9.10 Wubi with XP until 10.04
    Google Chrome
    Widmer Drifter Pale Ale
    Tommyknocker Pick Axe Pale Ale
    1992 Davies Washburn N4 w/ Suhr SSV/DSH+ pups
    Jazz and Prog Rock, Dream Theatre & Porcupine Tree
    (I couldn't fit it all on my license plate so...)

Thanks !

Beans

Re: How to install Firefox tar.bz2 file after extracting

change directory into the folder it extracts. Generally there is a configure file in there. If there is type "./configure"
    That will create a make file. Then you will need to type "make"
    and then "sudo make install"
    Which will put everything in the appropriate folders.
    If it fails you might be missing a package called "build-essentials" which you can get through apt-get

Hope that helps.

Beans

With firefox you can probably just run the firefox executable from within that folder; also search these forums for lovinglinux, he has some threads on how to install firefox versions on ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchin View Post
    change directory into the folder it extracts. Generally there is a configure file in there. If there is type "./configure"
    That will create a make file. Then you will need to type "make"
    and then "sudo make install"
    Which will put everything in the appropriate folders.
    If it fails you might be missing a package called "build-essentials" which you can get through apt-get

Hope that helps.
    No, no, no. Just because a file is a tar.bz2 it doesn't mean it needs to be compiled. Mozilla releases both source code and ready-to-run binaries as tar.bz2. The only difference is that the one that needs to be compiled has ".source." included in the file name. The OP doesn't specify, but most likely he/she got the ready-to-run binaries and just want to launch Firefox. Anyway, when we are not sure about which file the user has, is better to ask first instead of giving compiling commands. Besides, compiling Firefox is not that simple, although it is not a nightmare. See info here.

Quote Originally Posted by VCoolio View Post
    With firefox you can probably just run the firefox executable from within that folder; also search these forums for lovinglinux, he has some threads on how to install firefox versions on ubuntu.
    Indeed

See the Installing Other Versions section of Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    No, no, no. Just because a file is a tar.bz2 it doesn't mean it needs to be compiled. Mozilla releases both source code and ready-to-run binaries as tar.bz2. The only difference is that the one that needs to be compiled has ".source." included in the file name. The OP doesn't specify, but most likely he/she got the ready-to-run binaries and just want to launch Firefox. Anyway, when we are not sure about which file the user has, is better to ask first instead of giving compiling commands. Besides, compiling Firefox is not that simple, although it is not a nightmare.
    I could not remember if it needed to be compiled or not. You are right in this particular instance it is much more difficult to find the source tarball than the binary version (IE the primary download is binary and you actually have to look for the source package) In any case please do not criticize suggestions. If the OP has trouble with a suggestion or it does not work they will post for additional guidance or direction.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchin View Post
    In any case please do not criticize suggestions. If the OP has trouble with a suggestion or it does not work they will post for additional guidance or direction.
    Sorry, but I disagree.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I also disagree. In 99.9999% of cases in which people want to know how to "install" Firefox from the .tar.bz2, the compressed file contains a precompiled binary and not source code.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the suggestions...I even tried to make sure the right libraries were in place..Mozilla's development center says to :

apt-get build-dep firefox

apt-get install mercurial libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libnotify-dev libxt-dev libiw-dev mesa-common-dev autoconf2.13

but everytime I do the ./configure, I get a configure: error: --enable-application=APP was not specified and is required...as a last entry..so I'm still working on it

Beans

This guy had the same problem as you:

http://www.errorhelp.com/search/deta...nd-is-required

I am not sure what the .mozconfig is that he mentions. Perhaps one of these other bright fellows know the answer.

this page says something diff: http://mmszuto.blogspot.com/2007/09/...g-firefox.html

he suggests you just need to add the argument it is complaining about to your ./configure
    Last edited by overlordchin; April 28th, 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Riffronan View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions...I even tried to make sure the right libraries were in place..Mozilla's development center says to :

apt-get build-dep firefox

apt-get install mercurial libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libnotify-dev libxt-dev libiw-dev mesa-common-dev autoconf2.13

but everytime I do the ./configure, I get a configure: error: --enable-application=APP was not specified and is required...as a last entry..so I'm still working on it
    Do you really want to compile Firefox? If you are just looking for installing it, then see this. If you really want to compile it, ignore all previous suggestions and see this (please I'm not criticizing, just pointing the right direction).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast