Thread: upstart shutdown script / unload radeon module KMS

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

upstart shutdown script / unload radeon module KMS

I have an HP tx2500z laptop running Xubuntu 10.04. It has a Radeon HD3200 (RS780) GPU. I am using the free driver (see attached xorg.conf) and it works great, except the computer does not poweroff on halt. Turns out, this is because it is unable to unload the Radeon module when KMS (kernel modesetting) is enabled. I can verify this by adding "radeon.modeset=0" to my grub command line, which disabled KMS, and then it shuts down properly. I submitted this launchpad bug about it https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/569271

Well, I have come up with a sort of workaround. I created an init script, which I called "uloadradeon" (attached), put it in /etc/init.d, and ran "update-rc.d uloadradeon stop 80 0 ." to create symlinks in /etc/rc0.d so that it will run at shutdown.

So far so good. I tested in first in recovery (single-user) mode, just calling "shutdown -h now" and it shutdown perfectly (it wasn't able to do so before I added that script).

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end. It still was unable to shutdown when I was in normal mode. I am still not entirely sure what is causing this, but I suspect it is related to upstart, although I think upstart should still run the old sysv init scripts when changing runlevels, I am not sure, and I haven't been able to find any good documentation on upstart, particularly how to get a script to run at a certain point during shutdown.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cak3; April 26th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: upstart shutdown script / unload radeon module KMS

I figured out how to do it. I created an upstart job to do it, and placed it in /etc/init

the job file is attached, if anyone is interested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi - got your PM.
    I don't have the same problem - I was trying out kernel 2.6.34 and possibly didn't install it correctly. Fresh installed 2.6.32-21 and it's fine now.
    The shutdown fault somehow burned my Asus Expressgate software which is stored in solid state memory on the motherboard and I have yet to see if it will reinstall!
    A vivid and creative mind characterizes you.
    ATI Radeon HD6850, E7300 Core2duo, Asus P5Q

Beans

Cak3,

I have a an hp tx2000 tablet and I am not able to shut down the computer either. I downloaded unloadradeon.conf file. I am not able to paste it in the /etc/init directory.

I am very new to linux. Could you please help me out?

Thanks

Beans

I got it.

Thanks for the script. It works for tx2000 tablet as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the file, put it in the correct directory, and the first time the shutdown worked. Ever since then, it has hung on shutdown again.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Interesting. Each time I replace the file in etc/init/ the unloader will work exactly once and shutdown is flawless. When I reboot, it runs fsck and then shutdown hangs again as it did previously.

Beans

The problem I encounter is that composition and 3d aren't supported by the free radeon driver. (At least that's what the wiki says and I am observing with my system. "2D Modesetting")

I run a hp tx2500 with the ati hd3200.

Are there any solutions similar to yours in regards to the fglrx driver? (I like my eyecandy damn it!)