Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate MP3's, How do I get rid of them easily?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Duplicate MP3's, How do I get rid of them easily?

I found an old hard drive which had a bunch of Mp3's and decided to merge it with my current hard drive;s collection. Well because I had a good deal of the same tracks, and I'm lazy, I need to deletes out all the doubles, without searching every file. I have about 40GB of music, probably 12GB of redundancy.

It will take hours to sort them by hand, and because Whatever windows program I used to scan these into my system named them differently than the program I used in Ubuntu, I now have multiples of the same tracks with slightly different names or even file sizes.

for example:

Code:
    01 Kryptonite.mp3
    3 Doors Down - 01 - Kryptonite.mp3

Anyone have an idea of what I can do? I rather keep the higher bit rated versions if possible, if that helps.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Duplicate MP3's, How do I get rid of them easily?

sudo apt-get install easytag
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How is easytag going to get rid of duplicates?
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This might seem like a lot of work, but I would install songbird. Just for the fact that you can import just that extra hard drive of music. You will be able to:

-Organize the mp3's into folders like Artist/Almbum/Song.mp3
    -Write the metadata straight to the mp3, along with cover art.
    -Remove Duplicates ( Using the Add-On called The Exorcist)

After that you can then just copy the .mp3 files and put them with the rest of your library.

That's just how I would do it .. if you are looking for a more nerdy command line way, then I'm sorry deff don't know that one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have songbird installed so I'll try the exorcist add-on...

the music is already in folders, and when I copied the music over, some of it was already in my library (I recently re-ripped all my CD's). So now I have duplicates many with semi different names but maybe this will help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK so songbird exorsim app only take it out of the library, not my file system. And songbird nearly crashed in the process, not cool.

All easytag did was rewrite the metadata, which doesn't help either. I think I now have more issue because of it.

So now I guess I'll have to re-create my playlist (I'll use banshee this time around because I know it has a delete option and its a bit more stable), mark all the doubles by hand and delete them permanetly.

Beans
    Distro

Songbird acts like iTunes. If you don't have in the options to copy files to songbird when you import them, then yes it will just remove them from the library and not the file system.

Songbird wont touch any files on the file system that is not within its domain. So if you go to options and look for an option to organize your music into folder and stuff, it will not only copy songs to songbird when you add them to library, but it will give songbird the green light to modify delete as you see fit with out any problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LuisGMarine View Post
    So if you go to options and look for an option to organize your music into folder and stuff, it will not only copy songs to songbird when you add them to library, but it will give songbird the green light to modify delete as you see fit with out any problems.
    I activated the organization of my collection and gave "the exorzist" a try in order to get rid of my duplicates. He found a lot of duplicates but when I selected "Exorcise the clones!" He asked my whether he is supposed to delete them from the library.
    (I confirmed, but Songbird crashed anyway...)

Could you please explain (step by step) how to delete the duplicates from the disk with SB?

Or recommend any other app that does not only compare file size and names?
    I'm quite desperate as I did not find any Ubuntu-Tool to get this job done. Considering to start MediaMonkey in a XP-Vbox to do this, but I would rather prefer a Linux solution....

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Pifilatakanemu; January 18th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

It could be a bug with SB. Try again, if not you might have to check to see if their is a bug with that add-on in the new songbird 1.4. Unfortunately I no longer use SB since it completely stopped working with my iPod.

You are doing all the right steps, it's just SB not holding up to their end of the deal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    for example:

Code:
    01 Kryptonite.mp3
    3 Doors Down - 01 - Kryptonite.mp3

Anyone have an idea of what I can do? I rather keep the higher bit rated versions if possible, if that helps.
    How about a Python script that descends into each subdirectory and keeps track of uncommonly occuring words (such as Kryptonite) and saving the results to a Mysql database, and later using the SOUNDEX function to find words that sound the same to make a match?

Also you'd have to keep track of the bitrate, too.

You can also use full text search to see if a substring of one filename occurs anywhere else in the database.

Sounds like a project in itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast