Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 not booting after upgrade

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu 10.04 not booting after upgrade

I was having Ubuntu Karmic installed on my laptop with Vista as the alternate boot. Yesterday, I downloaded the alternate CD for Version 10.04 for performing an upgrade. I mounted the iso image, which was in my home folder, to /media/cdrom0 and ran the upgrade command from console. The upgrade went fine till the computer was restarted. After restart, when I chose the newly installed Ubuntu from grub menu, blank screen with blinking cursor was displayed and it refused to boot. After a few unsuccessful attempts, I decided to reinstall Karmic again. So, when I pop in the live CD and boot the computer I get a I/O error message.
    I am sure that there is no problem with either the live CD or the CD drive as the live CD works fine with other computers and the CD drive works fine in Vista.

Now, are both problems interrelated ?
    What is the way forward?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 not booting after upgrade

not an expert on this but...

i would use the live cd to diagnose the problem and try reformatting the ubuntu partition then try installing again
    "If you were made king, who would replace you?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by garyedwardjohnston View Post
    not an expert on this but...

i would use the live cd to diagnose the problem and try reformatting the ubuntu partition then try installing again
    That's right, but as I mentioned in the post I am unable to boot from the live CD also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What do you mean it refused to boot? I had a similar problem with upgrading from Karmic to Beta 1, where I had a blank screen with the blinking cursor, before the screen went completely black. Ubuntu was boot up fine, but the problem was that it didn't detect my monitor. This was fixed with the release candidate though (which was a bit buggy, but installing nvidia drivers fixed this).

If you downloaded it yesterday, then it should be the RC, but I'm guessing you have a different kind of problem.

What is the I/O message from the Karmic CD?
    Last edited by bville09; April 26th, 2010 at 05:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bville09 View Post
    What do you mean it refused to boot? I had a similar problem with upgrading from Karmic to Beta 1, where I had a blank screen with the blinking cursor, before the screen went completely black. Ubuntu was boot up fine, but the problem was that it didn't detect my monitor. This was fixed with the release candidate though (which was a bit buggy, but installing nvidia drivers fixed this).

If you downloaded it yesterday, then it should be the RC, but I'm guessing you have a different kind of problem.

What is the I/O message from the Karmic CD?

I get a message "Error Reading Boot CD" and there is a button for Reboot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 10.04 not booting after upgrade

I would definately try to remaster the ISO-image burning it at a lower speed in a CD (or DVD - for some reason I get better results if I burn an CD-ISO into a blank DVD)and using md5sum after downloading it.I don't think there are too many other options for this I am afraid.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pradeepbp View Post
    I was having Ubuntu Karmic installed on my laptop with Vista as the alternate boot. Yesterday, I downloaded the alternate CD for Version 10.04 for performing an upgrade. I mounted the iso image, which was in my home folder, to /media/cdrom0 and ran the upgrade command from console. The upgrade went fine till the computer was restarted. After restart, when I chose the newly installed Ubuntu from grub menu, blank screen with blinking cursor was displayed and it refused to boot. After a few unsuccessful attempts, I decided to reinstall Karmic again. So, when I pop in the live CD and boot the computer I get a I/O error message.
    I am sure that there is no problem with either the live CD or the CD drive as the live CD works fine with other computers and the CD drive works fine in Vista.

Now, are both problems interrelated ?
    What is the way forward?
    I am not an expert at the newest version, but I think that it is still the beta version, it may be having more issues. I suggest that you wait until the launch of 10.04
    Feel free to contact me at cuberts@gmail.com if you have any questions. Also, Irssi is RAD!~