Thread: seeking a linux-friendly isp in denver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

seeking a linux-friendly isp in denver

is anyone aware of a linux-friendly isp in denver? every time i have to call comcast because my internet connection is down (which has been quite a lot lately) i have to put a windows xp image on the one computer i still have that has a windows license. otherwise, the tech throws up his hands and says "ewww! linux! not supported!" when he arrives.

i'm not sure how much longer the old laptop with the xp license is going to last, and besides, i hate having to resort to installing windows to get things fixed. when i replace this laptop, it will probably be with something from system76, so i'd like to get an isp that doesn't panic when it hears the word "linux." not having my internet connection go down every few weeks would also be good.

Beans

Re: seeking a linux-friendly isp in denver

I've been in the Denver area for a couple years now, and I would highly recommend using your modem to show them that the issue starts at their neighbourhood hub. I was a with Comcast for a couple months, as I needed two internet connections, and finally just called Qwest back and got a second line run to my home. I never have problems with Qwest.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I run with Qwest DSL as well and no issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Comcast.

It was pretty frustrating when they wouldn't accept my modem because I had used it with another company in Missouri, but after some persuasion they flipped on my modem. I was pretty forceful when they started going through the

"And what type of computer do you have, is it a Windows or a Mac?"

*Facepalm*

I just kept repeating "I am at the login page I just need my confirmation number"

Until finally she gave it to me.

Other than that My dad has Qwest (Now Century Link).. I test his connect between 1-2mbps up and 0-1mbps down

i am 26-29mbps up and about 4mbps down...

the number speak for themselves,

Being lucky enough to be a co-owner of a structured cabling company I just pulled all new cat6 under the house and replaced the cable coming in from down the street. Haven't seen any downtime what so ever, Even put some Fluke testers on the cable in the house, it passed!!!

So my experience with Comcast has been great, plus who wants DSL anyway... Just thinking that my Internet is going over a Cat3 (phone) cable makes me cringe.

But yeah, we use Linux, we are the minority. I have even told them that I use windows, and when they walk me through the steps needed, I just do the Linux alternative, they would never know better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

i hadn't checked this thread in a while, but thanks for the replies, everybody. i just got my new dell inspiron 15r laptop yesterday, wiped windows 7, and installed natty. everything seems to be working, but it just occurred to me that i probably should have grabbed an image of the hard drive with windows 7 installed just so that i can reinstall it temporarily and ensure no problems with my ISP next time i need to move to a different apartment.