Thread: What's wrong with my bootchart?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What's wrong with my bootchart?

Hi

I installed bootchart and pybootchartgui today. I had a feeling my machine was booting a bit slower than it should. The boot time was 1:01.77. Over a minute! This is on a Intel i5 CPU with 8GB RAM.

Now, I don't understand the bootchart to much, but it looks like it is just sitting there for 25 seconds (from 20 - 45).

My bootchart is attached, could someone have a look at it? What could I do to make it faster?

EDIT: Bootchart is here (better quality)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by .nedberg; April 24th, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans

Re: What's wrong with my bootchart?

Just over a minute, eh? Well, you should just see my XP-desktop with 7 Transformation Pack installed, then! (Uninstalling that mother improved boot by a good two minutes, at least. 3 GHz CPU, 3 Gb RAM.)

I don't have any of those bootcharting things installed, so I can't help you. One thing that stands out to my untrained eyes, though, is that kdm appears to be launched twice.
    All I can think of that might actually have any degree of significance, though, is that it's doing some hardware-detection. (udev-glitch?) Just do NOT assume I know what I'm talking about. 'Cuz I don't.

By the way, I'm currently on a laptop taking just over 40s to boot.
    And, well, since Lucid's release is just around the corner - schedule says next week - you could consider just letting this slide and see what the new release brings.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What's wrong with my bootchart?

*bump*

I have now upgraded to Lucid, but the situation is the same. The machine boots a bit faster, but only about 2-3 seconds. Same problem with about 25 seconds where it is doing nothing.

Could it be mounting NFS and SAMBA shares?
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP