Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy-peasy minimal install script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Easy-peasy minimal install script

I love the Minimal ISO, but the main question i've got from people when bigging it up is: "How do I know what packages I need to install?"

So i've written a script that will reduce all the messy package witchcraft to a series of yes/no questions.

Download

Perfectminimal

NB: This script has been tested, but not exhaustively. Consider yourself a tester if you wish to use it at this stage.

How to use it

1. Install a command line-only system using the Minimal ISO
    2. Get the file
      Code:
      wget www.andyduffell.com/perfectminimal
    3. Make it executable
      Code:
      sudo chmod +x perfectminimal
    4. And run it:
      Code:
      ./perfectminimal

Why bother? What does the minimal ISO do?

From a single tiny (~12MB!) image you can install any flavour of Linux. My script supports minimal and full installs of Gnome, KDE, XFCE, and LXDE, plus Myth TV (just for fun).

Installing from the minimal means your packages are up-to-date as soon as you install (very handy on older LTS releases). The script supports Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic and Lucid.

Why is this script asking to install lots of big fat desktop packages?

Because it's a shameless ripoff of a great script by Robbie Ferguson called Perfectbuntu. Perfectbuntu is designed to automate installation of a smorgasbord of popular desktop software. I've retained all that functionality and extended it to the minimal environment. Even if you're installing ubuntu-desktop and tons of desktop software, there is still some benefit to starting from a minimal install.

I want more info/I want to help/I've found a bug/I wish to direct a stream of abuse at you

More info is here. Definitely keen to hear about bugs, or any general comments on your experience. I've got a lot of ideas about ways to improve this script, but i'm sure you've all got better ones, so fire away.
    Last edited by Paqman; September 8th, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Beans

Re: Easy-peasy minimal install script

Any chance this can be updated for maverick and/or natty? Or is the intent on sticking to LTS? I did an install on a laptop last night and ended up winging it. I'm doing another friend's laptop tonight, so I'm going to get the 10.04 minimal iso on a usb stick for them so I can try the perfectminimal script.

Thanks!
    Chris
    Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cacycleworks View Post
    Any chance this can be updated for maverick and/or natty? Or is the intent on sticking to LTS?
    It always supports all currently supported versions of Ubuntu, so it will currently work on Lucid, Maverick and Natty. The new version for Oneiric will be up shortly, check the link in my sig or for more info go to the project page on my site.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    It always supports all currently supported versions of Ubuntu, so it will currently work on Lucid, Maverick and Natty. The new version for Oneiric will be up shortly, check the link in my sig or for more info go to the project page on my site.
    Currently, the link in this thread doesn't include maverick and natty, only goes as far as Lucid, however the link on your project page for v.1.1.1 does
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Hidden!

Didn't read the whole script by I have some of suggestions if you don't mind.

The syntax of if is:
    Code:
    if <COMMMANDS>
    then
        <COMMANDS>
    elif <COMMANDS>
    then
        <COMMANDS>
    elif ...
    else
    fi
    So you could do something like:
    Code:
    if grep "10.10" > /dev/null 2>&1 
    then
        echo "10.10"
    elif grep "11.10" > /dev/null 2>&1
        echo ...
    else
        echo "can't detect version" >&2
        exit 1
    fi
    `COMMAND` is used in old-style command substitution. The $(COMMAND) syntax is recommended.

You should consistently use [[ .. ]] to test strings or files, (( .. )) to test numbers or arithmetics and ''if ..'' to test commands. Do NOT use [ .. ] in bash, only in sh.

Add more error checks, you have to handle the case when one of the commands fails.

Always QUOTE YOUR VARIABLES!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Does your script download anything? Becuase I've never been able to configure my internet on a minimal install.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Does your script download anything? Becuase I've never been able to configure my internet on a minimal install.
    Yes, it downloads all the packages to install. Tbh, if your network adaptor doesn't work straight away then doing a minimal install is probably not the path of least resistance.

If you're using wifi you might want to plug straight into your router and make sure you select the "graphical package management tools" option in the script. Then once you're booted into a desktop you'll be able to use the Additional Drivers tool to get your wifi drivers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Didn't read the whole script by I have some of suggestions if you don't mind.
    Don't mind at all. I don't really know anything about bash, I've just adapted someone else's script and hit it with a hammer until it worked.

`COMMAND` is used in old-style command substitution. The $(COMMAND) syntax is recommended.
    Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean here. Can you give an example?

Do NOT use [ .. ] in bash, only in sh.
    Any part9cular reason, or is it just a convention?

Add more error checks, you have to handle the case when one of the commands fails.
    Definitely a good idea, will do.

Always QUOTE YOUR VARIABLES!
    Can you give an example? I'm not sure what you mean.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If I used the script on 11.04, will it install Unity or GNOME Session? I think you should add the option to ask which shell to install for Natty and Oneiric using the grep suggestions by sisco311. Oneiric can have three options (GNOME 2.3x can be installed on it, right?)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    If I used the script on 11.04, will it install Unity or GNOME Session?
    You can choose from several DE's, for 11.04 those would be:

• Ubuntu desktop (Unity)
    • Gnome core
    • Kubuntu desktop
    • Xubuntu desktop
    • XFCE4
    • Lubuntu desktop
    • LXDE
    • Myth TV

I think you should add the option to ask which shell to install for Natty and Oneiric using the grep suggestions by sisco311. Oneiric can have three options (GNOME 2.3x can be installed on it, right?)
    For Oneiric your Gnome options will be Unity and Gnome Shell. Gnome 2 is deprecated and there is no minimal Gnome package in the Oneiric repos as far as I can tell. That's a real shame IMO. They did the same to KDE a little while ago too.

If you want a Gnome 2 or gnome-core machine I'd suggest installing Lucid, as it'll be supported for another couple of years.
    Last edited by Paqman; September 8th, 2011 at 10:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast