Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

demetrius2009, thanks for your reply. Can you use the 4GB of ram with the 32bit version? I read somewhere it's needed the 64bit version for that. I also noticed that in the pulseaudio volume applet, in the input tab I cannot choose between my internal microphone and the external one (the internal is working fine). Do you have the same issue?

I noticed my system always crashes when I try to use a program called fmit (free music instrument tuner). I don't know if it's related to a microphone problem, or what... Also using the playstation emulator pcsxr (pcsx reloaded) crashes my system.

Any news on suspend or hdmi sound?

Beans

Wink Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Hi, jsevi83!
    Yes you right, we can't use 4Gb of RAM with 32 bit Linux, Windows, MacOS etc. The available amount of RAM will be near 3.5Gb. In my laptop I have 3gb of ram and it enough for me now...

In my sound preferences I can't choose another microphone as you... so this is an issue in driver I guess...

Well I don't use those programs you noted, but I think this crashes related to the sound driver...maybe we should wait some time while Ubuntu development team will fix this bugs and we will be the happiest people in the world... I tried another distros of linux, hoping that they dont have such issues with the newest hardware... but ubuntu appeared most ready to support this new hardware

P.S. I have no possibility to test HDMI sound... I have no device to test it

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Found some useful information about battery life, may bu this information will help someone with new laptop:
    http://www.battery-of-laptop.com/one...php?pr_id=1502

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

jsevi83 - I'm using 64-bit and despite the problems with suspend and hdmi sound i have no unexplained freezes so far.

You can only use 3gb ram with 32-bit so I recommend 64.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

HDMI sound output is finally working!! Read the instructions from the first post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I found a solution to get the touchpad detected as such. Check the first post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, the system freezes I had seemed to be related to the programs themselves and their configuration. Now everything seems to be stable and fine, so I will keep my current 64bit installation. After the latest solutions, seems our biggest problems now are suspend and battery life. Maybe we have to wait for a newer kernel, but if someone finds a solution, please let us know.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Quote Originally Posted by jsevi83 View Post
    After the latest solutions, seems our biggest problems now are suspend and battery life.
    Battery life is OK for me, but suspend/hibernate still a problem. After the latest touchpad solution I found a very useful (let say: must have) application: GPointingDeviceSettings. Just install the gpointing-device-settings package and you will see.

Beans

Question Re: Asus K52 / Asus A52

Hey, ntomka!

How much time does your laptop works on battery? Using Wi-Fi, internet, music, coding, file operations etc...?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by demetrius2009 View Post
    Hey, ntomka!

How much time does your laptop works on battery? Using Wi-Fi, internet, music, coding, file operations etc...?
    Not much more than 3 hours (I've K52JR with Ati). Windows 7 does the same, so I think it's normal from lucid too. And I'm using amd64 version.

But, for my older post:
    I found out there is an older version of gpointing devices app in lucid repository. Install this and then this. With this newer version you can configure that when other pointing devices are connected, the touchpad automatically tourned off.

I've needed some editing in the post!

I found out there's a bug in the gpointing devices app gui, and when the "Disable while other devices are connected" checkbox are checked, nothing happens. You can have a workaround for it! Start the gconf-editor, then find this: /desktop/gnome/peripherals/ETPS@47@2... (it has a strange long name ). You can find "disable_while_other_devices_exist" option here. Enabling it solves the bug.

Update: Forget it! It's very buggy feature.
    Last edited by ntomka; May 3rd, 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast