Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux on the Desktop vs Gaming on PCs

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Linux on the Desktop vs Gaming on PCs

PC gaming isnt dead yet, but its well on its way. The vast majority of games we get nowadays are console ports (and often pretty poor ports at that). There are exceptions, but that is the rule.

Its a simple fact that console games are way more profitable, and PC games for most publisher increasingly an after thought; often one that doesnt make money.

Looking forward I see 2 things that will revolutionize the gaming market. First is handheld gaming, which is already well on its way to overtake consoles as major gaming business.

The second is remote gaming:
    http://www.otoy.com/

With something like otoy or onlive, you will be able to game any game on any device (and OS) as long as its connected. A tablet, your phone, a 10 year old PC you thought was obsolete, even your tv through your tivo or ISP settop box. It almost cant fail; gaming as a service. no more piracy. Endless possibilities for pricing schemes and even ads. Keep on eye on google getting in to this or buying one of these startups.

Beans

Saying that PC gaming is going to die is by far the absolute biggest joke I've ever heard of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't understand why people say PC gaming is dying out... people have said it for years, and I have no doubt in my mind that those statements are false. I am not a huge gamer, but from what I see the gaming community is pretty huge and showing no signs of slowing down.

Gaming, weather you like it or not, really IS a big factor on desktop computers outside of the business world (ie, on home computers). I don't know of anybody under the age of 40 (in person) who doesn't have at least one game for their computer.

Casual gamers often play stuff like The Sims, Spore and such.

Hardcore gamers usually play shooters like Quake, Doom, CoD and all those other famous titles. Some even make a lot of money from competing.

I just feel lucky that all the games I do play are actually Linux-native or run "platinum" in Wine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Saying that PC gaming is going to die is by far the absolute biggest joke I've ever heard of.
    Indeed what a joke.

Now add handheld gaming to that, and remote gaming.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Indeed what a joke.

Now add handheld gaming to that, and remote gaming.
    Oh, hi. Yes - it's a joke. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm a gaming addict and only play on PC/Windows7 system. PC gaming is much bigger than you could imagine. I can login to a Battlefield Bad Company2 server any time of day or night and find a lively game. Same goes for Counter Strike(older game) and Left4Dead. The list could go on & on. I just love to kill cyber terrorist
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Hidden!

I guess it depends how you define "death" in this context. If you mean > $0/year market worldwide, then sure, it will probably never die. By that metric Im sure the Atari 5200 gaming isnt dead either, Im pretty sure a few games will be sold on ebay each year. Playstation 1 would be thriving I suppose.

If you define dead as marginal and insignificant compared to the overall gaming market, then its death is a certainty (if not already a reality)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I made an idle comment that PCs are probably to gaming what Linux is to the desktop, at least in marketshare.
    I kind of agree. But Linux has a lot less market share than PC's do with gaming. Another difference is that Linux market share is rising, while PC gaming is falling.

Ever since the C64 days, I have always been a fierce proponent of computer gaming over consoles. Recently, I've changed my stance. After relinquishing my stubbornness, I realized that console gaming is a lot smoother. If you buy a console, all the games made for it just work without any hardware upgrades or hassle (as long as you don't screw it up by trying to mod it). There is no having to go with the lowest settings because you don't have a good enough GPU. And Gamestop has a lot of really cheap used games.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    I don't understand why people say PC gaming is dying out... people have said it for years, and I have no doubt in my mind that those statements are false. I am not a huge gamer, but from what I see the gaming community is pretty huge and showing no signs of slowing down.
    If you don't think there are any signs of PC gaming slowing down, you're not looking. P4man's graph is one interpretation of sales that prove that it's going downhill.

PC gaming will never die, but it's obvious that the thrust is going into consoles now. If they're making money from consoles and not PCs, where do you think they're going to put their focus?

But there are some genres of games that just work better on PCs, and that's why it will never die out.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

edit: misread never mind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Games like WOW probably will keep PC gaming active and alive for many years to come. With the new StarCraft coming out shortly I predict another surge in PC gaming or another reason it won't die out soon.
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast