Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 Lucid Lynx on an Asus EEE PC 1101 HA?

Beans

10.04 Lucid Lynx on an Asus EEE PC 1101 HA?

Have any of the early adopters / beta testers out there either heard suggestions that 10.04 will work on the above machine or seen it for themselves?

I tried installing 9.10 Hardy Heron when I first got the machine and whilst I did get it working in part, it just wasn't happy and as such, I reverted to XP. I was hoping that some of the issues with the new nVidia driver now for example might have been resolved between the versions.

Any information would be gratefully received (obviously positive confirmation would be more so!)

Cheers, Dan

Beans

Re: 10.04 Lucid Lynx on an Asus EEE PC 1101 HA?

Hi,

I'm running Lucid on a 1101HA and I'm pretty happy with it. I started with UNR. I wasn't happy with the performance, so I did an upgrade to Lucid. I have a much snappier machine now.

Interestingly, I can log into either the Remix desktop or Gnome.

Only real downside, I can't connect and print to a Kodak wireless 5250 printer. So I have to keep XP on it to print. But that's Kodak's fault, not Ubuntu.

So 10.04 gets two thumbs up from me!

dalee

Beans

Hi,

Just to update, I finally got a driver for the Kodak printer to compile. So I now have a printer. So I think I will wipe XP off and go total Lucid.

dalee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi I have Lucid 10.04 RC on my eee 1000 and it has an excellent boot up time though the acpi interfaces to turn wifi on and off ect... don't seem to be working and the eee utility in the software centre is rubbish but other than that it's fine.

David

PS I recommend changing the theme!
    Nothing on EEE PC 1000!
    Win 7 Home Premium on 15.6 inch Toshiba Satellite C660-X11
    Linux hopefully making a return soon...
    www.landymann.co.uk

Beans

Dalee,

Thanks for your response. When I installed hardy heron, I had to spend a fair amount of time trying to sort the graphics drivers out because of the Intel GMA chipset, has this been sorted as part of Lucid?

I also found in heron that the WiFi connection would randomly drop out, have you seen this behaviour at all on lucid?

Thanks, Dan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ubuntu begins having RT2860 network manager support in Jaunty, so yes.
    linux user: #498107

Beans

In fact, sorry; I got my version names and numbers mixed up. I've previously tried to install 9.10, Karmic Koala on an Asus 1101HA and ended up being left with an awful lot of hacking around to get a graphics driver to work for it (Paulsbo) and then the WiFi kept on dropping out.

I'm presuming Dalee that this isn't happening now and Argos, apologies for confusing the issue somewhat.

Beans

Hi,

All the hardware worked fine for me with no fiddling required. Except for the Kodak printer which is now solved too. Even the built in webcam works. Though I don't Skype, so I can't say how that works nor do I care. As an aside, the Intel GMA was supposedly done by a third party for Intel. And there are complaints about the video driver even for Windows.

Personally, I felt Karmic did not work well on my 1101HA too. So I did the upgrade to Lucid at the first beta and haven't looked back.

Now I just need to find the time to reformat the whole drive and drop the dual boot with XP.

Good Luck!

dalee

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danrough View Post
    Dalee,

Thanks for your response. When I installed hardy heron, I had to spend a fair amount of time trying to sort the graphics drivers out because of the Intel GMA chipset, has this been sorted as part of Lucid?
    actually there is NOT a working gma500 driver for Ubuntu 10.04...
    follow this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=gma500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by landymann View Post
    ...though the acpi interfaces to turn wifi on and off ect... don't seem to be working and the eee utility in the software centre is rubbish ...
    Have you tried using eee-control instead ? It's working great on my 1005HA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast