Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 10.4 RC "parted_server" error on install

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.4 RC "parted_server" error on install

I also had this issue with 10.10 on 2 different USB flash drives. I was using the Windows Universal USB Installer tool to flash the USB drives. While playing around I decided to enable the 1GB persistent storage option and I suddenly started working without issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've discovered that simply pulling the USB out of the drive will also let me bypass this particular crash. Not sure if cures it, haven't completed a full install yet (another story altogether.) Have not tried the persistent storage option yet either (don't know what that does.)

Anyway, maybe these will be the clues someone needs to fix this problem, so reporting my findings here anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hey folks,

A colleague of mine also had this issue and asked me to have a play. A good way to test exactly what's going on is to open a terminal and run "sudo gparted" and look to see where you get an error. At least on my friend's machine the error reported was a failed assert, that of head_size<=63. This is just a screwy partition table (in her case, on the USB stick from which she was installing Ubuntu). The stick was made using Windows, already installed on the netbook.

If that's the case, here's what I did to solve it.

1) Find another ubuntu machine (my laptop)
    2) Sitck the USB stick in and run dmesg to check the device label given to it (in this case /dev/sdb).
    3) Run sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 count=1024 (note, this kills all the data on /dev/sdb)
    4) Download the Ubuntu installer.
    5) Run the startup disk creator.
    6) Test it: sudo gparted /dev/sdb

The last command ran OK, so job done. Stick the stick back in the netbook and all works.

Of course, this only solves the problem if the issue was a screwy partition table on the install stick, but running sudo gparted manually will help confirm that.

Beans

Talking Re: Ubuntu 10.4 RC "parted_server" error on install

Hi folks,
    I'm a new user and had the same pesky problem at the keyboard stage
    many times over (10.04). In desperation, I tries installing from an SD card and PRESTO! Worked like a charm 1st time! I followed the advice and did a 1 GB persistence thing, which may have made a difference, but not sure cuz I did it the 1st try. I tried doing that on a flash chip but still didn't work. Anyway, hope this info helps someone!
    Cheers,
    Barry

Beans

3) Run sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1024 count=1024 (note, this kills all the data on /dev/sdb)
    Acctually this is all you need to do (at least it was for me) after you start Ubuntu from your flash drive. No need for searching another PC with Ubuntu.

Beans

Now this advice helped me greatly and saved going the long route.
    Thanks a lot!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for sharing. Thread Closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12