Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 No login/password

Beans

Ubuntu 9.10 No login/password

I installed VM Ware Workstation 6.5 and installed Ubuntu 9.1 from ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso. It installed without issue but I was never prompted for a username/password. Now I am at the Ubuntu login screen with the option to login as Ubuntu or other... , both of which require a password. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by wetsprocket; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 No login/password

I am not familiar with VM Ware - I use VirtualBox - but if you install Ubuntu in VM Ware the same way as in Virtual Box, you would have to boot into a live session from the ISO or from a CD. In which case it is impossible to install Ubuntu without setting a password. You will have had to fill in the fields in the window as in the thumbnail attached.

If you managed to install Ubuntu in some other way, please post details. It would be interesting to know.

Anyway, to reset the password, you have to boot into recovery mode and follow the instructions in this link:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Edit: By the way - your screenshot isn't clear enough to read, but the username looks to be different from the default live session 'ubuntu' username. If so, you must have set your username in the screen I have posted, and you couldn't have got past that screen without setting a password. Are you sure you didn't note it down somewhere?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just incase you are in a Live CD situation use ubuntu as username and nothing for password just hit enter.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by garvinrick4 View Post
    Just incase you are in a Live CD situation use ubuntu as username and nothing for password just hit enter.
    Ah yes. Good point!

@wetsprocket, if you are in a live session and the system is prompting you to log in as 'ubuntu', you haven't installed Ubuntu yet! But 'ubuntu' and an empty password should do the trick. The live session normally doesn't prompt for a password but sometimes something goes awry and it does.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.