Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which language for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Which language for this?

Quote Originally Posted by diesch View Post
    I'd rather say that having a goal is a fantastic way to learn programming, even if you may never fully reach your goal.

Of course one can't start with just "Now I want to write a word processor", but something like "I want to start with something that may evolve into a word processor over time" can something to begin with.

A window with a text field and a "Save" button may be a start that doesn't require much knowledge. From that one can go on.

Most likely the first few attempts will sooner or later end in a bunch of buggy code that is hard to understand and about impossible to extend. That's a good chance to learn what you should avoid when writing programs. Have a look at other people's code and try to make it better with your next attempt.
    Thats the sort of thing I want to do. Start small, and build off of that. Sure, I'm not making the next OpenOffice, but I don't want to either.

But now I have another question, should I continue learning python 2 or start learning with 3?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Which language for this?

Stay with Python 2 as a lot of libraries, including PyGtk, aren't compatible to Python 3 yet.

But having a look at the changes in Python 3 to avoid unnecessary incompatibilities may make it easier to migrate to python 3 later.
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12