Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install BitPim

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install BitPim

I'm under the impression that BitPim on Linux/Ubuntu does not work with the newest Voyagers Firmware of VX10KV11. The manual says it was built and tested with VX10KV03 and I remember that when the firmware upgraded for the Voyager that it took them a little while to upgrade bitpim for Windows to work with the newest.

Could anyone confirm or deny that the Voyager with firmware VX10KV11 on Ubuntu works and if so, that did they do to get it to work? My phone isnt auto detected and trying to select the port to read through manual detection doesnt seem to yield anything but a traceback.

EDIT:

Heres the traceback. I'm gonna toy around with some stuff to see if I can get it work since the traceback reports that the device is busy (when its not).

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/bitpim/code/gui.py", line 284, in run
        res=call()
      File "/usr/share/bitpim/code/gui.py", line 159, in __call__
        return apply(self.method, self.args+args, d)
      File "/usr/share/bitpim/code/gui.py", line 1883, in getdata
        self.setupcomm()
      File "/usr/share/bitpim/code/gui.py", line 1866, in setupcomm
        configparameters=comcfg)
      File "/usr/share/bitpim/code/commport.py", line 68, in __init__
        self._openport(self.port, *self.params)
      File "/usr/share/bitpim/code/commport.py", line 97, in _openport
        self.ser=self._openusb(port, timeout)
      File "/usr/share/bitpim/code/commport.py", line 129, in _openusb
        return _usbdevicewrapper(iface.openbulk(), timeout)
      File "/usr/lib/bitpim/native/usb/usb.py", line 172, in openbulk
        raise USBException()
    USBException: could not claim interface 2: Device or resource busy
    EDIT 2:

Also, this appears in the log as soon as I start the program

Code:
    16:58:24.840 Failed to open dir /var/run/bitpim
    I know stuff in /var/run is supposed to be created by the applications for runtime information so I dont want to just touch it or create some arbitrary file.
    Last edited by XanTrax; October 14th, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
    If you like my posts please feel free to visit and support my website where I have a collection of tutorials, scripts, and articles relating to Linux/FreeBSD, Apache, Windows, PHP, servers, and desktops.
    http://ckozler.net (click)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by XanTrax View Post
    I'm under the impression that BitPim on Linux/Ubuntu does not work with the newest Voyagers Firmware of VX10KV11. The manual says it was built and tested with VX10KV03 and I remember that when the firmware upgraded for the Voyager that it took them a little while to upgrade bitpim for Windows to work with the newest.

Could anyone confirm or deny that the Voyager with firmware VX10KV11 on Ubuntu works and if so, that did they do to get it to work? My phone isnt auto detected and trying to select the port to read through manual detection doesnt seem to yield anything but a traceback.
    I can verify that BitPim works automagically with firmware VX10KV11, that's what I have on my Voyager. But the version of BitPim in the Ubuntu repositories does NOT work. I only had success when I downloaded the deb directly from bitpim.org. Good luck

P.S. Lock the version or update will try to replace it once you've installed.
    Running Ubuntu 11.04 on a HP Pavilion a1750y PentiumD, Nvidia graphics.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cross157 View Post
    I can verify that BitPim works automagically with firmware VX10KV11, that's what I have on my Voyager. But the version of BitPim in the Ubuntu repositories does NOT work. I only had success when I downloaded the deb directly from bitpim.org. Good luck

P.S. Lock the version or update will try to replace it once you've installed.
    I tried both. When I tried the one from the BitPim website, it did the exact same thing as the one from the repositories. The only thing I can think of is that I did not run the one from the bitpim website as sudo or with su.

The picture/attachment below is what it says for my phone. This is from the one from the repositories. I'll reinstall the one from the bitpim website and see what it says.

Please note where it says

Code:
    Available              False          It was not possible to open this port
    As well as how it states that libusb is in use and that it is active. Again, I'll try the one from the bitpim website but I am 98% sure it said the exact same information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot2.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	131948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot3.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	131949  
    If you like my posts please feel free to visit and support my website where I have a collection of tutorials, scripts, and articles relating to Linux/FreeBSD, Apache, Windows, PHP, servers, and desktops.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by XanTrax View Post
    I tried both. When I tried the one from the BitPim website, it did the exact same thing as the one from the repositories. The only thing I can think of is that I did not run the one from the bitpim website as sudo or with su.

The picture/attachment below is what it says for my phone. This is from the one from the repositories. I'll reinstall the one from the bitpim website and see what it says.

Please note where it says

Code:
    Available              False          It was not possible to open this port
    As well as how it states that libusb is in use and that it is active. Again, I'll try the one from the bitpim website but I am 98% sure it said the exact same information.

Sorry, I'm not sure what the issue is then. Once I installed the deb from bitpim.org it worked without sudo.
    Running Ubuntu 11.04 on a HP Pavilion a1750y PentiumD, Nvidia graphics.

Beans

Sorry, I'm not sure what the issue is then. Once I installed the deb from bitpim.org it worked without sudo.
    Weird. Didn't work for me. I'll try it again and maybe toy with that one a bit more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want to add my experience with Bitpim in Ubuntu Jaunty because I struggled getting it working like many people on this thread. I ended up learning a lot about udev and hotplugging and udev rules files so overall I'm happy for the journey, but frustrated by the way I got it to work.

To make a long story short after weeks of trying and re-trying things I noticed that the bpudev file from the source code was written a bit differently than what was installed on my computer from the repositories through Synaptic.

So, I removed all traces of Bitpim downloaded the deb file from here: http://www.bitpim.org/#download

Installed it, ignoring the warning about a later verison from the software channels and Bitpim worked like a charm. It auto detected my LG voyageur phone right way without sudo access. In the end I don't actually know what the problem is but I have it working now and that's all I really care about.

FYI: Update manager will attempt to update Bitpim with the repositories version, if you do that it will go back to not working. I hope this helps someone.

Cross157 is correct. I just spent better part of 2 days troubleshooting Jaunty to get my LG Voyager working. Do not install Bitpim via synaptic (doesn't detect phone because of - for me - port issues/permissions, which I couldn't resolve using any of previous posts here or guides from Bitpim site). However followed his advise got somewhere finally!

Wasn't able to detect phone properly but was able to detect "other CDMA phone..." Bitpim lists voyager as VX10000 but my lsusb lists it as: "Bus 004 Device 011: ID 1004:6000 LG Electronics, Inc. VX4400/VX6000 Cellphone"

1) Downloaded & installed Bitpim using Linux DEB file from http://bitpim.org/#download
    2) Start Bitpim as sudo
    3) Plug in phone. (Auto-detects as "other CDMA...") but may need to "Detect phone" at this point
    4) In Bitpim settings, choose phone type "LG-VX10000 (Voyager)" *** DO NOT RE-DETECT PHONE ***
    5) In Bitpim, highlight "filesystem" then choose "Get phone data"
    6) In filesystem, go to /root/brew/shared/ringtone
    7) Can now go into right box screen (mine was empty) & right click mouse to add ringtones via "New File". Add as many as you want then right click again to choose "Reboot Phone".
    8) Give phone time to restart, then disconnect, & you have your new ringtones!
    * Lastly, note, a couple of times the filesystem didn't pull up, but if I re-detected phone & continued from step 4, it would work.

Otherwise , specific to Voyager - for Canada , if you're just desperate to get new ringtones & don't care how, follow the simple steps for using "Rumkin" (instructions about 1/2 way down page) via:
    http://www.voyager-lg.com/canadian-v...dian-version)/
    Tested & works, no charge. Note this link is to another forum with tons of info on Voyagers for everyone/where.

Hope this helps someone other than me. Thanks to all previous posters as well! Cheers!
    "When life only tosses you lemons, get some salt & tequila...& get ready for a long night!"

Beans

Oh sweet, it worked. I guess I probably didnt remove my .bitpim directory (or some other files) when I installed the one from the bitpim website.

Thanks guys!

Holy cow. Start Bitpim with sudo... not being able to access my LG keybo with bitpim was the only thing keeping me from using kubuntu full time... good bye M$. yes i'm a linux noob.. but the ubuntu community is awesome and helps me since i have no idea what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Logan 1229 View Post
    Cross157 is correct. I just spent better part of 2 days troubleshooting Jaunty to get my LG Voyager working. Do not install Bitpim via synaptic (doesn't detect phone because of - for me - port issues/permissions, which I couldn't resolve using any of previous posts here or guides from Bitpim site). However followed his advise got somewhere finally!

Wasn't able to detect phone properly but was able to detect "other CDMA phone..." Bitpim lists voyager as VX10000 but my lsusb lists it as: "Bus 004 Device 011: ID 1004:6000 LG Electronics, Inc. VX4400/VX6000 Cellphone"

1) Downloaded & installed Bitpim using Linux DEB file from http://bitpim.org/#download

Augh. Any luck for users running Ubuntu x64? Looks like I'm S.O.L. as the DEB file is i386.

Doh!
    e.m.fields
    Asheville, nc

Beans

Hey everyone! I tried to do this on my laptop so that i could run bitpim with my ENV touch. I know that the 1.06 version will not work with the ENV touch, so I tried to install the 1.07 beta. however this is the message that I am getting after installing and using the both 'sudo bitpim' and 'bitpim'

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/opt/cx_Freeze-3.0.3/initscripts/ConsoleSetLibPath.py", line 35, in <module>
    File "src/bp.py", line 20, in <module>
    File "src/bp_cli.py", line 21, in <module>
    File "src/bp_config.py", line 19, in <module>
    File "src/guihelper.py", line 23, in <module>
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
    from wx._core import *
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in <module>
    import _core_
    File "ExtensionLoader_wx__core_.py", line 12, in <module>
    ImportError: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have tried to get the libexpat.so.0 library but it states that my libraries are upto date. Any ideas how to fix this. btw the 1.06 version runs fine, except I cannot access my phone. 1.06 states that the usb port is inaccessible, but does see my phone connected.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast