Thread: Making a Portable Version of Firefox to run on a USB Stick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Making a Portable Version of Firefox to run on a USB Stick

First of all,I got these steps from my blog that no one really reads:sanassar.blogspot.com
    It is very simple to make A Portable Firefox for Linux.Though This may not run so well on an old USB Stick.So lets get started.

1.Go to firefox.com and download the Linux version in a tar.gz format(Should download this automatically)

2.Create a New Directory called Firefox Portable

3.In the Firefox Portable Directory,Create a Sub Directory called AppLinux

4.Now extract the tar.bz2 and paste all of the files into the AppLinux Folder.

5.Create a .sh file in the Firefox Portable directory of the Folder.Open it with some text editing program.Put in the following code:

#!/bin/sh
    check=`ps -ef|grep firefox|grep -v grep`
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then
    zenity --info --text "Please Close any Firefox Proccesses"
    else
    ./AppLinux/run-mozilla.sh ./AppLinux/firefox-bin -profile ./Data/profile
    fi

6.Now in the Firefox Portable directory,Create another Sub Directory called Data.In Data,Create a folder called profile.

7.Run the Shell Script we made.This should launch firefox and use the profile in the Data Folder.

8.Right click the shell script than click Properties.Now go to the Permissions Tab and click "Allow Executing file as a program"

Oh and by the way,The Portable Version will not run if the normal version is running.
    Last edited by niccholaspage; September 12th, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
    Never mind.Kept screwing up XFCE.XD
    http://www.crashie.com will crash an IE install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Making a Portable Version of Firefox to run on a USB Stick

BUMP!

I am wondering of anyone tried this,So I can see if there is anything I can do so it is more lightweight on different USB sticks than mine.

Beans

hmmm, firefox writes heavily on the hdd while loading pages, not a good idea to use a usb flash drive for the profile

Beans

just to make the tutorial a bit more complete, you'd need to do a chmod +x on the newly created .sh file for it to do anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@triphazard:I added a step
    @eldragon:Well,It might not be that good with some USB Sticks,But the USB stick I had could handle it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by niccholaspage View Post
    First of all,I got these steps from my blog that no one really reads:sanassar.blogspot.com
    It is very simple to make A Portable Firefox for Linux.Though This may not run so well on an old USB Stick.So lets get started.

1.Go to firefox.com and download the Linux version in a tar.gz format(Should download this automatically)

2.Create a New Directory called Firefox Portable

3.In the Firefox Portable Directory,Create a Sub Directory called AppLinux

4.Now extract the tar.bz2 and paste all of the files into the AppLinux Folder.

5.Create a .sh file in the Firefox Portable directory of the Folder.Open it with some text editing program.Put in the following code:

#!/bin/sh
    check=`ps -ef|grep firefox|grep -v grep`
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then
    zenity --info --text "Please Close any Firefox Proccesses"
    else
    ./AppLinux/run-mozilla.sh ./AppLinux/firefox-bin -profile ./Data/profile
    fi

6.Now in the Firefox Portable directory,Create another Sub Directory called Data.In Data,Create a folder called profile.

7.Run the Shell Script we made.This should launch firefox and use the profile in the Data Folder.

8.Right click the shell script than click Properties.Now go to the Permissions Tab and click "Allow Executing file as a program"

Oh and by the way,The Portable Version will not run if the normal version is running.
    this method worked fine for me, however there was no internet connection. on the other hand, Firefox from Ubuntu had internet connection!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What? You should get a connection. The only difference than My Portable Version And Mozilla's Firefox is one simple script.

Beans

I tried this with firefox 5. The result: Error message "profile is missing or invalid". It seems something must be in the data/profile folder for this to work?