Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Ubuntu not called Gubuntu?

Beans

Why is Ubuntu not called Gubuntu?

It seems to me that calling the Gnome Ubuntu installation ISOs Ubuntu and calling the KDE Ubuntu installation ISOs Kubuntu is giving preferential treatment to Gnome over KDE. This means that Gnome Ubuntu is considered to be Ubuntu, but KDE Ubuntu is not considered to be Ubuntu. Why is it that the case that Gnome Ubuntu is not called Gubuntu so both Gnome and KDE flavors of Ubuntu can be called Ubuntu?

This could be extended to Xubuntu and Lubuntu as well, but Kubuntu is more popular than those two, Lubuntu is not an official Ubuntu flavor and Kubuntu likely would have been the most popular one had it been unfairly called Ubuntu with Gnome Ubuntu being called Gubuntu, so I thought I would restrict myself to just discussing the KDE and Gnome flavors of Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Shining Arcanine; April 20th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why is Ubuntu not called Gubuntu?

I'm not sure, but I think Ubuntu with gnome was the original OS made. Different versions like Kubuntu, and XUbuntu and such came after which is why they gave ubuntu with those desktop environments a different name. Also Ubuntu is based off Debian which I believe was also Gnome by default. Don't quote me on anything its just speculation.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In before recurring...
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the word 'ubuntu' has a meaning that the others lack. since gnome is the default, it is just ubuntu. all the others are just spinnoff distros, so they needed some way to tell them apart. that's all.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sydbat View Post
    In before recurring...
    I think this is the first time that a discussion of name semantics has occurred, so it is not really a reoccurring discussion. It would be more appropriate for this to remain in the community cafe.

Beans

Eh, can't agree with you there. I've heard this argument before. Some other distros pride themselves in KDE/Gnome being available at once during an installer, however those installers are also large enough to require a DVD.

At this point, I really don't see how it matters. Everybody is different, and each distro handles things differently.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    I think this is the first time that a discussion of name semantics has occurred, so it is not really a reoccurring discussion. It would be more appropriate for this to remain in the community cafe.
    It's really not the first time. I can remember at least three past occurrences.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    the word 'ubuntu' has a meaning that the others lack. since gnome is the default, it is just ubuntu. all the others are just spinnoff distros, so they needed some way to tell them apart. that's all.
    Considering that Kubuntu is an "official derivative", it seems confusing to not put it under the umbrella of the Ubuntu name, much like how all versions of Windows are all Windows, despite the significant differences between Windows 9x and Windows NT. With Ubuntu, those differences are not quite as profound because they are restricted to the GUI, rather than the underlying system, so it would seemt o make sense to refer to both instances of Ubuntu as being Ubuntu and then referring to specific instances of Ubuntu as being Gubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etcetera.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    It's really not the first time. I can remember at least three past occurrences.
    I googled the name Gubuntu. I could only find a reference to a community proposed "Gaming Ubuntu" derivative. For this discussion to have occurred in the past, there would have had to have been a proposed name, Gubuntu is the natural name and as far as I can tell, the name Gubuntu has not been discussed in this context in the past, so I have difficulty understanding why this discussion is a recurrence of a previous one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You know what? you are right, I 'm gonna start calling it Gubuntu.
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast