Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ubuntu 9.10 3 usb dongle trouble

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ubuntu 9.10 3 usb dongle trouble

thanks,it dont ask me for a password anymore,i didnt have it set to connect to all users thing.

how long does it take to connect roughly?as i get a round spinning thing at the top?is that it trying to connect?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The spining thing goes on forever but when i click on the connections it says its connected but when i load firefox says i am offline
    Last edited by mul01; April 21st, 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Im sorry to hear that, I cant help you beyond this point. i have no handson experience with 3g dongles, much less those of your provider.

Maybe nudge GeorgeVita on this forum, ive seen him help out a few times specifically on 3g issues and unlike me, I think he knows what he is talking about

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks p4man you have been great in helping me.i will let u know if i get it sorted,i have messaged GeorgeVita hopefully he can help.

many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Hi mul01,
    an idea is to try everything from the 1st step!

Remove modem, right click network manager icon, edit connections, mobile broadband, click on every connection and delete it.

Use any other connection to update your Ubuntu 9.10 to the latest kernel as initial version had bug#446146 that affects most 3g modems.

Remove SIM PIN check (for simplicity) using a cell phone (insert SIM to the phone, use menu to de-activate this check).

Reboot your updated Ubuntu 9.10, attach modem, wait 20 seconds, right click network manager icon to see the 'new mobile broadband connection...' and use menus to set it up.

If a window appear saying 'passwords keyring etc.' leave password blank, continue, use unsafe area, continue. On every next window with a message 'enter password', leave it blank and proceed.

Post back your comments to follow up!

Regards,
    George

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks GeorgeVita i take my computer to my dads he has wifi broadband once updated i try and get back to.

many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thanks GeorgeVita that worked i fully updated the system and now the 3g dongle is working perfect many thanks for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Re: ubuntu 9.10 3 usb dongle trouble

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeVita View Post
    Hi mul01,
    an idea is to try everything from the 1st step!

Remove modem, right click network manager icon, edit connections, mobile broadband, click on every connection and delete it.

Use any other connection to update your Ubuntu 9.10 to the latest kernel as initial version had bug#446146 that affects most 3g modems.

Remove SIM PIN check (for simplicity) using a cell phone (insert SIM to the phone, use menu to de-activate this check).

Reboot your updated Ubuntu 9.10, attach modem, wait 20 seconds, right click network manager icon to see the 'new mobile broadband connection...' and use menus to set it up.

If a window appear saying 'passwords keyring etc.' leave password blank, continue, use unsafe area, continue. On every next window with a message 'enter password', leave it blank and proceed.

Post back your comments to follow up!

Regards,
    George

Does anyone know if this procedure will work on a Dell GX260 desktop, running Xubuntu 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by cuddy2977 View Post
    Does anyone know if this procedure will work on a Dell GX260 desktop, running Xubuntu 9.10?
    Hi cuddy2977,
    any 'initial' (liveCD) version of Ubuntu 9.10 has this bug that affects many (not all) 3g modems. This was into kernel 2.6.31-12... Now an updated Ubuntu 9.10 uses kernel 2.6.31-21-generic #59

You can check kernel version from terminal: uname -a

SIM PIN check removed, is always better assuming that you do not need this lock.

>>> Other dial-up modems have some problems with modem-manager which solved after removing it!

If you have any problem be specific, post more data (and type of modem looking at the sticker on it).

Regards,
    George
    Last edited by GeorgeVita; April 24th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12