Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on MacBookPro7,1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu on MacBookPro7,1

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi68 View Post
    Yes. Following the development in the launchpad bug 576601, as suggested, is good advice.
    Sorry, I don't understand how to use your file

It seem the applesmc file is meant to be installed on Linux? How do we install it on Linux if the Ubuntu CD isn't booting?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicappuccino View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand how to use your file

It seem the applesmc file is meant to be installed on Linux? How do we install it on Linux if the Ubuntu CD isn't booting?

Thanks very much for any advice!
    You need to install Ubuntu to a USB stick, and then you can install the AppleSMC files.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grapz View Post
    You need to install Ubuntu to a USB stick, and then you can install the AppleSMC files.
    Thanks very much for the advice - it all makes more sense now!

However, I'm still having problems... as you can tell, I'm pretty new to this, so I guess I'm not doing it right. I've succeeded at booting Ubuntu from my memory stick, going into "Try Ubuntu 10.04" mode, and then installing the applesmc files.

Then I click the "Install Ubuntu 10.04" icon. The first few steps are fine, but at the partitioning step, no partitions appear in the partition list, i.e. it still doesn't seem to find the hard drive.

Could someone please tell me what I'm missing here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicappuccino View Post
    Thanks very much for the advice - it all makes more sense now!

However, I'm still having problems... as you can tell, I'm pretty new to this, so I guess I'm not doing it right. I've succeeded at booting Ubuntu from my memory stick, going into "Try Ubuntu 10.04" mode, and then installing the applesmc files.

Then I click the "Install Ubuntu 10.04" icon. The first few steps are fine, but at the partitioning step, no partitions appear in the partition list, i.e. it still doesn't seem to find the hard drive.

Could someone please tell me what I'm missing here?
    That's because the applesmc doesn't fix the hard drive issue as far as I've seen. applesmc makes the fan control, temp sensors and other stuff like that work, but the issue with the hard disk not being detected is a kernel issue.

The reason you would want to install Ubuntu to an USB stick (not just boot the livecd, but actually install it to the USB stick), is to be able to easily test/compile kernels to fix the issue. Running Ubuntu from USB stick is very slow compared to normal.

Beans

Hi,

I have the same problem with my macbook pro 7,1.
    Can I do anything to help to fix the problem?

ciscler

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ciscler View Post
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my macbook pro 7,1.
    Can I do anything to help to fix the problem?

ciscler
    Well, if you know anything about debugging the kernel, you could help out there. I don't really know much about it, but I'm gonna give it a go shortly.

Other than that, be sure to go here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/576601 and click on the 'This bug affects me' at the top of the page.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grapz View Post
    That's because the applesmc doesn't fix the hard drive issue as far as I've seen. applesmc makes the fan control, temp sensors and other stuff like that work, but the issue with the hard disk not being detected is a kernel issue.

The reason you would want to install Ubuntu to an USB stick (not just boot the livecd, but actually install it to the USB stick), is to be able to easily test/compile kernels to fix the issue. Running Ubuntu from USB stick is very slow compared to normal.
    Thanks very much; understood. ^^
    I somehow had the mistaken impression that it fixed the hard drive too, so thanks for clarifying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

disregard this post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank God I found this thread. I have been struggling with this on a new MBP 13" for the last 4 days, trying all manner of old isos and hacks.
    I am trying to use wubi in my bootcamp partition, so that I don't have to do any rEFIt messiness. (I have a mini that I triple-boot, but I am not willing to go through that setup again.)
    Wubi is failing for the same reason. At least now I know that I can put this on the back-burner, as it is nothing that I am doing wrong. Virtual Box will have to suffice until this is resolved.

Threads subscribed-to and fingers crossed...

Beans

If this affects your computer, please sign into launchpad/create an account and click the link up top that 'This bug affects me'

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/576601

According to the Launchpad site, this bug now has a high priority. It has been confirmed that there are some issues with the NVIDIA MCP89 SATA chipset/drivers that control both the HDD and CD/DVD drive.

Only workarounds for right now:
    1) Install Ubuntu on a USB stick, boot from the USB stick.
    2) Boot the Ubuntu CD from an external CD-ROM drive.
    3) Run Ubuntu in a VM. (not an option for native performance)

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast