Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on MacBookPro7,1

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on MacBookPro7,1

Quote Originally Posted by garrettg84 View Post
    If this affects your computer, please sign into launchpad/create an account and click the link up top that 'This bug affects me'

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/576601
    I'm new as you can see. I registered at launchpad.net, and completed the handshake. They agree I'm logged in. I can't see any text that says exactly "This bug affects me."

I posted a useless comment, signed up for the notify list, logged out, logged in but there was no uptick from 74 to 75 users affected.

Is that just the latency of the site and am I a new user who is perhaps impatient? Or should it be already saying "75"?

ADDENDUM FOR OTHER NEW USERS: the bugs.launchpad.net site does not function properly in Google Chrome or Safari (latest of each, Mac OS 10.6.3). The popup that lets you say "Yes it affects me" appears off the left side of the window in Chrome. Using Firefox, you can see it and respond.

Beans

Kernel 2.6.35-rc1 says:

This patch adds generic support for the MacBook Pro 7 family based on the 7,1 model.
    I will try this later
    Last edited by kwangchin; May 31st, 2010 at 04:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kwangchin View Post
    Kernel 2.6.35-rc1 says:

I will try this later
    I believe this is in regard to the sensors and applesmc stuff kosumi68 asked me to test. Unfortunately I don't think there have been any changes to SATA controller. Still worth a shot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ToorJockey View Post
    How did you get FreeBSD 8.0 to work? I tried booting the 64bit ISO DVD and it didn't work. Any suggestions?
    IIRC I used FreeBSD 7.3 livefs and it worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay, question: Is this a bug or a wishlist? If the hardware isn't supported by the kernel version of ubuntu, I think this is a wishlist for maverick (i.e. possibly backports) rather than a "bug" proper in ubuntu.

Don't want to start a flame war, just want clarification.
    Systems: MacBook Pro 5,5 | MacBook 3,1 | Compaq ML330 G2 | And misc. other desktop systems
    My Blog (tech, politics, life): http://leftofrightrightofleft.wordpress.com
    Annapolis Computer Help IT Consulting ETC...http://www.lighthousesolutions.info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sha.goyjo View Post
    Okay, question: Is this a bug or a wishlist? If the hardware isn't supported by the kernel version of ubuntu, I think this is a wishlist for maverick (i.e. possibly backports) rather than a "bug" proper in ubuntu.
    It's a bug given it's a currently shipping device from a well known manufacturer, and we're shipping LTS CDs which won't work on it.

However it seems to me that Apple laptops are often looked down upon by Linux developers:-

a) because Apple do strange things to seemingly standard components.
    b) because it's Apple.

Not much we can do until someone upstream (kernel) takes a look at it really. I don't see this being upgraded to a high priority bug any time soon.
    Make your PC more efficient with MiserWare http://bit.ly/6Nlvcc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by popey View Post
    It's a bug given it's a currently shipping device from a well known manufacturer, and we're shipping LTS CDs which won't work on it.
    Okay, I guess what I'm saying is that if kernel 2.6.33-22 doesn't support ethe 7,1, and if Ubuntu ships with 2.6.32-21 (which updates to 2.6.32.22), is this a "flaw" in the LTS release or simply part of the feature freeze. It isn't like this won't be fixed, but feature freezing is part of the distro release cycle.

I don't think it's fair to say that Apple is being "looked down on" in this situation. It's not as if the kernel developers upstream aren't integrating support for the 7,1 in 2.6.35, as was shown earlier in the thread.

So I guess I have to re-ask my question. Being as it is necessary for Ubuntu to do a freeze before releasing, it is necessary for them to use a stable kernel at the time of freeze. That means that support for the newest systems is not going to be present. That's simply part of using a non-rolling release cycle. So I guess I still want to know, should we be posting this bug as a bug in the current release, or as a wishlist (IE please use kernel 2.6.35 in maverick) for the next release.

Thank you for not looking at this as argumentative, I just think that if we Linux-Mac users want to be taken seriously, it is imperative that we understand the development cycle and use proper channels. IE what can we do to get this taken care of in the proper manner by the right people.
    Systems: MacBook Pro 5,5 | MacBook 3,1 | Compaq ML330 G2 | And misc. other desktop systems

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I guess what I'm saying is that if kernel 2.6.33-22 doesn't support ethe 7,1, and if Ubuntu ships with 2.6.32-21 (which updates to 2.6.32.22), is this a "flaw" in the LTS release or simply part of the feature freeze. It isn't like this won't be fixed, but feature freezing is part of the distro release cycle.
    It's a flaw in the kernel which ships with the LTS release. Therefore it's a flaw in the LTS release.

I don't think it's fair to say that Apple is being "looked down on" in this situation. It's not as if the kernel developers upstream aren't integrating support for the 7,1 in 2.6.35, as was shown earlier in the thread.
    I'm not saying that in this particular instance Apple is being looked down on. I am saying that on the whole in general many Linux developers seem (from my experience) to be anti-Apple. Indeed one comment in the Ubuntu Kernel channel reinforced this.

It's not that they don't want this fixed, and dont want to help in doing that. I think it's more that _they_ think Mac owners probably believe the platform (and hence the issue) is more widespread than it really is.

So I guess I have to re-ask my question. Being as it is necessary for Ubuntu to do a freeze before releasing, it is necessary for them to use a stable kernel at the time of freeze. That means that support for the newest systems is not going to be present. That's simply part of using a non-rolling release cycle. So I guess I still want to know, should we be posting this bug as a bug in the current release, or as a wishlist (IE please use kernel 2.6.35 in maverick) for the next release.
    The kernel team pick a kernel to be supported for that release. In the future they may backport patches to that kernel if they make sense. For example if the issue with the Macboook7,1 turns out to be a simple kernel patch which exists in 2.6.35 then it may well be ported back to 2.6.32. Until that fix exists there's little we can do I'm afraid.

Also note that LTS releases get point releases through their life which may include updated kernels. The next point release for 10.04 (10.04.01) is due on July 29th 2010.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule

Thank you for not looking at this as argumentative, I just think that if we Linux-Mac users want to be taken seriously, it is imperative that we understand the development cycle and use proper channels. IE what can we do to get this taken care of in the proper manner by the right people.
    We've done pretty much all we can. Short of buying a 13" MacBook7,1 and putting it in front of a kernel developer.. anyone got $1000 spare?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by popey View Post
    It's a flaw in the kernel which ships with the LTS release. Therefore it's a flaw in the LTS release.
    I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I still don't understand how hardware where support hasn't been added yet constitutes a "flaw". Maybe you could explain it to me. As far as I know, a flaw would be if we hardware we claimed to support didn't function. But how can hardware we don't claim to support not working be considered a flaw in the OS.

Please explain in more detail what it is you mean with your usage of the word "flaw" because I think that is where our misunderstanding is arising from.

Thanks,
    Jason

Beans
    Distro

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I still don't understand how hardware where support hasn't been added yet constitutes a "flaw". Maybe you could explain it to me. As far as I know, a flaw would be if we hardware we claimed to support didn't function. But how can hardware we don't claim to support not working be considered a flaw in the OS.
    It's not new hardware. It's a chip-set which is already supported in the Linux kernel, not a new device lacking support entirely, but a device for which there is support, but it's broken in this laptop.

From conversations I've had with the kernel team it seems there's something quirky going on (possibly timing related) which causes the device to sleep, not wake up, not be recognised correctly. Which it is, is still to be determined.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast