Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devede won't create iso

Beans

Unhappy Devede won't create iso

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

Suddenly, and without any warning at all, Devede will not create an iso. I have the option checked for that to happen, but when I peek inside the folder, there's just compatible mpgs. I tried selecting "only covert film filesto compliant MPEG files," to see if the buttons were somehow reversed, but to no avail. I've searched this forum and Google for someone with the same problem; no luck. I've also updated to make sure I'm running the most recent stable version.

I'm using 9.10 and GNOME 2.28.1, with Intel T8100 2.10 GHz dual core processor and 3.5 Gb RAM. Dunno how much of that information is necessary...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Devede won't create iso

Try dd

Code:
    dd if=input of=output
    if means input file

of means oput file

So, probably

Code:
    dd if=/dev/dvd/ of=file_name_you_want.iso
    But your dvd drive may be mounted somewhere else.

Beans

Thank you.

Could you be more specific about use dd? I opened a terminal, typed
    Code:
    sudo dd
    , input my sudo pw at the prompt and my hdd just sits there and spins...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

That would be
    dd --help
    (generally speaking, --help is one of the most common ways to find the help of a program, along with man [appname], or any variation on --help, like -h, --fullhelp, --longhelp, etc.)

But it seems as if there's a problem when it comes to devede trying to pass the folder(s) over to mkisofs, so you'd probably be best off looking at the help for it. The only time I've ever tried using mkisofs directly was for authoring DVD-Audio discs, but the following (with some tweaking) should work:
    Code:
    mkisofs -o output.iso -V volume_label -dvd-video input_directory
    (where volume_label is what name you want the OS to display as the disc name on insertion, and input_directory holds your VIDEO_TS folder)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need to tell ubuntu where the dvd dd is using is using if=

usually /dev/dvd/

And tell ubuntu what you want the dvd to be "ripped" to using of=

So "Hey, Ubuntu, I want to rip this dvd " ---- dd if=/dev/dvd

And "I want it to be an iso file with a certain name" ---- of=name.iso

So

Code:
    dd if=/dev/dvd/ of=chosen_name.iso
    You shouldn`t need sudo (but you might depending on the privaleges of your user).

This is a command line tool. Typing
    Code:
    sudo dd
    will not make a fancy window appear.
    Last edited by nothingspecial; April 19th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What do you want to do with the dvd?

There may be a better way.

Beans

OK, after some research on dd, the problem (as usual) is me and my poor communication...

I'm trying to author a DVD from a couple AVIs on my hdd, not ripping an image from a disk. I've used Devede successfully in the past to do just that and now it stubbornly refuses to work. If it's not possible to correct the issue with Devede, suggestions for another utility (hopefully with GUI, I'm a n00b, ya know) would be appreciated.

I just wanna get the dang thing burned off...

[edit]Shouldn't have replied without checking for new comments. "Fancy window" - that's funny and I guess I had it coming. I also should have read the help and probably posted in a better sub-forum. I guess I'm just not with it today...

What I wanted to do with it was watch the DVD video on a stand-alone player with friends.[edit]
    Last edited by wharfrat1490; April 19th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wharfrat1490 View Post

[edit]Shouldn't have replied without checking for new comments. "Fancy window" - that's funny and I guess I had it coming. I also should have read the help and probably posted in a better sub-forum. I guess I'm just not with it today...
    [edit]
    Don`t worry about it. You are just unfortunate that a cli advocate answered you.

If I want to do something once or twice, I launch up a gui.

If I want to do something all the time, I (try to) write a script using cli tools, in my opinion, that is the advantage of linux.

Also, error messages are useful. Apart from the fact that it is easier to post "type this into your terminal", than "click here, then go to the top right and click the X button, then click this, and that ,etc, etc"

Have a look at the package tovid (cli), and more usefully in your case tovidgui - or I think, it may be called, todiscgui.

I hope they work.

Ain`t nothing wrong wanting to use a gui.

Beans

Yes, I've found scripts to be quite an advantage. I'm not quite up to writing them, but I copied one that recorded my favorite radio show nicely, until the station changed the format to something streamripper doesn't recognize. The larger advantage though, for me (and quite possibly other disabled people living on Social Security), is price. FOSS (OK, OK, with a proprietary codec or two...) enables me to do things I could never afford to on Windows or Mac.

I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the terminal; in fact, I thank Ubuntu and Linux for helping me overcome some command-line fear. The biggest reason I didn't understand your response was that I didn't ask the right question. I just expected the terminal to start spitting out some text after a moment or so, is all. Thank you for being patient with me.

I think I'll just tunnel the mpgs to Windows and use DVDShrink or something. I'm sorry if I've been any bother.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Last edited by ron999; April 20th, 2010 at 01:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast