Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behringer UCG102 Guitar Link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Behringer UCG102 Guitar Link

Does anyone have experience with the Behringer UCG102 guitar link? The short of it is, I'd like to use the ucg102 in Reaper if possible. As far as recording guitar in reaper I am extremely flexible, any DAW where I can import a .wav or mp3 file and record more than one track at the same time over the imported track suites me. The million dollar question is which one will read my Behringer UCG102. It shows up as an ALSA USB Audio Codec I believe. I've heard you can use Jack, but the tutorial was hard to follow, it involved turning off audio devices in order to locate the proper alsa usb codec. Being inexperienced, I'm a little sketchy about that and am hoping to find another way. Audacity does, it doesn't apply effects in real time so I have to run my guitar through my amp, my amp headphone jack to the ucg102. It's not great, but it gets the job done and is good enough because this computer's limited amount of Ram and processor speed will serve it's purpose as a writing tool. I plan on getting a powerful box without integrated graphics and sound so I can get a really good recording, but all in good time. I have a couple issues with audacity, but Ill try something to solve it here in a bit. If I load a track in audacity I can't record a second because the latency correction moves it before 0? I'm going to try setting the latency correction to 0 and see what happens. A bypass solution was convert the symphonic track to an mp3 with reaper, play it through the gnome player because it's a really lite player and record the guitar tracks one at a time, converting each take to a .wav, load them up in Reaper and mix with the symphonic track. A little time consuming, but it does work. Any tips would be appreciated. From what I can tell EnergyXT2 can also read the codec, but when I try to set it as an input, the input does not support recording. I think it's because it is not associated with wineasio on my box? I still have a lot of reading to do with this program and may be able to find a solution. If anyone has experience with how to set that up I'd appreciate it, a viable link or tutorial would be equally awesome. I believe ardour also reads the codec. Upon starting ardour it allows me the option to record and analog or usb project. If I unplug the ucg102 analog is my only option. To me this means there is promise with ardour. I know nothing about ardour, but I'm trying to change that. If anyone knows a quick tutorial on how to inport a .wav or mp3 and set up the UCG102 as an input so I can record guitar over it I'd really appreciate it. If anyone knows a way to get a multi-track recording with this set up please let me, any tutorials you've read, anything. I'm trying expand my knowledge base as much as possible when it comes to recording in linux, thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Behringer UCG102 Guitar Link

Hello lordofmiscreation, the UCG102 is a class compliant USB 1.1 device so it should work out of the box. Could you post the outcome in a terminal of aplay -l and arecord -l ? And in your case it is best to use JACK. And which manual did you follow? Turning off audio devices? That's really not necessary.

Beans
    Distro

I'd be happy to upload any information which would be useful.
    Upon typing aplay -1 in the terminal I received this message.

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: default [USB Audio CODEC ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
    megatron@ubuntu:~$

arecord -1

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    card 1: default [USB Audio CODEC ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
    megatron@ubuntu:~$

I did quite a bit of hunting before I discovered this thread. It seemed to work for them and was intriguing. There method was aimed at not having to configure jack each time, however in my case, I'd rather deal with the nag of configuration over corrupting. Once I have a better understanding of how the code is written I'd consider taking a crack at it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...sbAudioDevices

Right on, thanks for the quick response, I'm really getting into Ubuntu Studio.
    Last edited by lordofmiscreation; April 20th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lordofmiscreation View Post
    I did quite a bit of hunting before I discovered this thread. It seemed to work for them and was intriguing. There method was aimed at not having to configure jack each time, however in my case, I'd rather deal with the nag of configuration over corrupting. Once I have a better understanding of how the code is written I'd consider taking a crack at it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...sbAudioDevices
    First, thanks for the info. And modifying your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf is an option, but you could also tell JACK directly to use the UCG102 by manually entering 'hw:default' in the 'Interfaces' field of the Setup window of QjackCtl. 'default' is the name of your card according to the output you posted that Ubuntu assigns to it.

I've attached a screenshot of the Setup window of QjackCtl with what I think would be appropriate settings to start with. Could you give it a go?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Behringer UCG102 Guitar Link

No problem

I typed it in manually, the mistake I made in my earlier attempts were trying to adjust the input device instead of the interface.

Just out of curiosity when I hit the horizontal arrow next to the interface this it gave me access to this list.

hw:0 HDA INTEL
    hw:0,0 ALC888 ANALOG
    hw:1 USB AUDIO CODEC
    hw:1,0 USB AUDIO

would hw:1 be an option as well by any chance.

Last edited by lordofmiscreation; April 21st, 2010 at 05:49 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lordofmiscreation View Post
    would hw:1 be an option as well by any chance.
    Yes, that's the same device. But chances are the ID might change when you start using other USB peripherals and then JACK won't start anymore.

Beans
    Distro

Rock and Roll brother, I can handle that lol. Thanks a lot for helping me out man, I've been dying to get the audio up and going on this system. So far Ubuntu Studio is the best operating system I have used, the sight and sound capabilities are exceptional.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You're welcome. So get that Rakarrack and Guitarix and noodle the blisters on your fingers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

so did you get the beringer ucg102 to work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zander1013 View Post
    so did you get the beringer ucg102 to work?
    Hopefully he blistered his fingers jamming, and can't type for a couple more days

(not wishing him the pain, but hoping he has it working!)
    Last edited by sgx; April 25th, 2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast