Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Stream Video To Your iPhone The Easy Way

Beans

Talking How To Stream Video To Your iPhone The Easy Way

Using your wireless network, you can stream video and convert it on the fly by using the AirVideo iPhone app and server from In Method. I have installed and tested it using the following software. It's really straight forward so have a go!

Software Used:

Ubuntu 9.10
    wine-1.1.31
    Java for Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2008/Offline (http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/downlo...BundleId=39494)
    AirVideo (Apple iTunes)
    AirVideo Server for Windows (http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/download/Setup225.exe)
    Firestarter

Instructions

1. If you haven't installed wine then do so

Code:
    # sudo apt-get install wine
    and then run

Code:
    # winecfg
    to create a WinXP default application set.

2. Java - Download and install the full install win32 version of Java.

Code:
    # wget http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=39494 -O java-winxp.exe
    ( the "-O java-winxp.exe" saves the download as "java-winxp.exe" - I had a huge long file name when I downloaded the file).

Once the download is complete, run the setup

Code:
    #wine ./java-winxp.exe
    The GUI installer will run, just "Next" it until it completes. It will tell you that it can't run the "Windows Java Virtual Machine" - just ignore it.

3. Download and install InMethod's AirVideo server

Code:
    #wget http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/download/Setup225.exe

#wine ./Setup225.exe
    The AirVideo server GUI installer will run, again just "Next" it until it completes.

Now go to "Applications" - "Wine" - "Programs" - "AirVideo Server" - "AirVideo Server".
    The AirVideo properties window will appear, and you just need to add your video directories using the "Add Disk Folder" button.

4. Firestarter - Open Firestarter ("System" - "Administration" - "Firestarter").

Click on the Policy tab, and add a new "Inbound traffic policy" by clicking on the green "Plus" symbol.

In the new window "Add new inbound rule", click in the "Port" text box and enter "45631" (without the quotes).

5. Fire up the "App Store" on your iPhone and install AirVideoFree (It is a limited version by as it's free you can test it - I've bought the full version AUD3.99).

Once installed, open AirVideo and click on "Servers". Click on the "Plus" symbol and then "Specify Address Manually". In the "Location" text box enter your computers name or Fixed IP Address, and hit "Save".

Your computer should now be listed under the Servers window. Click on the tab and it will display all of the shared directories that you previously set up on the AirVideo Server. Browse through your video collection and enjoy!

Jason
    Last edited by rotox; April 17th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Beans

Re: How To Stream Video To Your iPhone The Easy Way

Just had to say, thank you so much. This app is amazing and the fact that I now have the server running on my Ubuntu server is completely flipping brilliant!

Beans

Thanks, works with the iPad too!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rotox View Post
    text...
    I cant get it to work with my Ubuntu server.
    I have installed wine but I get this problem when I am going to install Java and Air video.

Problem "Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded."

Please help.

Beans

@foleyfresh && @thinktyler: Glad that this was of help for you both!

@Bruxxx: Just a few things to check...

Are you running wine via ssh? If ssh use the following to allow X forwarding

Code:
    ssh -X
    Are you running wine from inside a GUI Desktop? You can't create the AirVideo Server window from a command line login.

Are you running wine at the server? If so run the following it should return ":0.0" or similar

Code:
    echo ${DISPLAY}
    Are you running as root? If so DON'T. Never run wine as root as you can easily have your entire system trashed.

The following code will remove wine from your system (including the wine hidden folder in your home directory)

WARNING this will affect all wine installed applications

Code:
    $sudo apt-get purge wine
    $sudo rm ~/.wine
    Now reinstall wine

Code:
    $sudo apt-get install wine
    $winecfg
    This should display the winecfg window - if it does then wine is now creating windows.

Follow the first post again and test.

Hope this helps,

J
    Last edited by rotox; June 15th, 2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: code fix

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rotox View Post
    Text

J

Im running with command line.
    Can I get it to work in any way? Without reinstalling.

EDIT: [SOLVED] I installed ubuntu desktop and its working now.

Thank you for everything rotox!

EDIT 2: [NOT SOLVED] I cant find my server on my iPhone
    But it's installed on the computer.
    Last edited by Bruxxx; June 15th, 2010 at 01:41 PM.

Beans

Hi Bruxxx,

I'm glad that you've got things almost working.

The only thing that you need to do now is make sure the AirVideo Server is always running - so that means logging in to the Gnome desktop and running AirVideo Server which you can do automatically like this.

Now go to "System" - "Preferences" - "Startup Applications"

Click on "Add" and then "Browse" to...

Code:
    /home/<USERNAME>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/AirVideoServer/AirVideoServer.exe"
    Enter "AirVideo Server" in the "Name" box, and then "OK'.

You will need to Log Out / Log In and AirVideo Server will now be running - a small window (the Wine System Tray) will appear with a blue icon that looks like a piece of movie film. Your AirVideo Server is now running.

If you haven't configured it or you want to check the settings then double-click on the icon and the AirVideo Server window will appear. [More info about this in the first post.]

Hope that this helps.

J

Beans

Is there any way of tweeking AirServers encoding and streaming performance? It looks as if (from Conky) ffmpeg is only encoding in chunks, and no steady flow, same with my "upload rate".

Would appriciate any help... as it is now converting semi-high bandwidth (~480p) movies wont work, it stops every minute or so.

Beans

Hi Kroem,

Sorry but I don't have any info that I can give you to help you tweak AirServer.

However, after a quick search on Google I found that there is a Linux version! I'm happy with running it using wine at the mo as I have no problems even with 720p.

Follow the instructions here
    http://wiki.birth-online.de/know-how...o-server-linux

Here is the official forum
    http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/34.page

It looks as though some people have issues with the Linux version too though.

Good luck and please let everyone know how it works out for you.

Thanks

J

Beans

Actually I tried the Linux version, but liked the wine instructions (yours ) more.

It's so weird... when I choose to convert movie in the queue the CPU loads up nicely and converts quick, but it still need to be encoded when watching on a cellular line, even thou I did encode it previously

Edit. THank you for a great instruction btw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast