Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid laws in your area.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Stupid laws in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Yep. Sniffing air is probably some new way of getting high.
    :O Oh snap! *Sniffs air*....It's not working.
    Best thing that ever happened to me on Ubuntu Forums: http://i.imgur.com/itEJe.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In Australia, it's illegal to give piggyback rides on the shoulder of a freeway.

It's also illegal to claim to be a member of the SAS between the hours of 10pm and 6am.

And in Western Australia, it's illegal to sell a spatula in a triple-storey shop that employs more than 9 people, on a Sunday, unless the shop is within 5kms of the mouth of the Swan River or 5kms of the widest point on the North side. Unless you have a permit.

Many of those "dumb laws" that people quote are actually sensible laws, but stated in ridiculous ways. Think about my examples and you'll see what I mean.

Want to see a real dumb law? In Western Australia, if someone breaks into your home and steals all your money, and then the Police find the thief and the things they bought with your money, then you don't get ANYTHING back. That's right: The Police sell the things that the thief bought, but they keep the money.

Another dumb law: In Western Australia, if your mechanic decides to drive your car at 200kph and gets caught, your car gets impounded. Or, if you work at a car dealership and someone takes a car for a test drive and gets caught doing burn-outs, the car gets impounded. It doesn't matter that the offender was driving your car; YOUR car still gets impounded. If it's the third time that the person was caught hooning, then your car gets taken away from your permanently.

Terrible laws.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; April 17th, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Koh Kook Loon View Post
    Death penalty I presume.
    Don't be daft there is no death penalty in UK

So here is what happens

Die in the Houses of Parliament ( illegal )

Get taken to court { suitably attired }

Protest your innocence { have it pre recorded for obvious reasons }

Get found guilty by the Jury

Accept the Judges sentence , as you have no choice { make sure you get a lenient one, talk to your lawyer , maybe he could make a donation out of your last will and testament , hopefully get a reduced sentence }

Serve your sentence { don't forget in this state you will not be able to work any more, so it will be free board and lodgings}

When released from prison , go directly to the department of unemployment and claim all the benefits available including any death benefits.

PS

Ensure to keep hold of your NI card in case you fall sick and need a DOCTOR !!!
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

In Florida, sex with porcupines is illegal.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-...florida?page=0

Beans
    Hidden!

In tennessee it's illegal to walk around with ice cream in your pockets. Personally I think such an offense should render a firing squad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    I don't normally reveal my current place of residence; however, here are some laws from Texas, USA.....
    [*]Cattle thieves may be hanged on the spot. (Temple)......
    [/LIST]
    This seems like a perfectly reasonable law to me.
    ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''--John Wayne

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by starchaser1 View Post
    In Florida, sex with porcupines is illegal.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-...florida?page=0

Sensible law unless your a masochist

What do they say about skunks ?
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Stupid laws in your area.

Yet more stupidity from Finland:

Private property is double taxed when owner dies. If your parents buy a house for example, they will pay the value added tax as well as other taxes that might apply to home owners. When they die and you inherit the house, the value of the property you claim will be determined and you will pay taxes on that property.

This means many hard working people lose their property to the state because they cannot afford to pay the taxes for it.

edt: To clarify, in the case of a house -- what would happen is that you would be forced to sell it just to cover the taxes from it. The government wouldn't just claim all of it. This would be sad if you actually wanted the house.
    Last edited by blueturtl; April 17th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Eternally confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    In Finland it is illegal to own a television set without having a subscription to the "government cable company". This means if you own a TV just to watch the free (commercial, or ad-sponsored channels) or DVDs you still have to pay for the unused subscription.

Everyone without a logged subscription gets regular visits from "TV inspectors" who will try to get you to confess that you own a TV but just haven't reported it yet. Law doesn't require you to let one in, so the enforcement is pretty hit and miss (depending on if you can lie about it with a straight face or just keep them from entering your home).

They're currently working on changing the law so everyone will have to pay. Owning a TV will no longer be necessary. Also they will bill same amount from everyone regularly regardless of income!

This is legalised mafia!
    Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    Yet more stupidity from Finland:

Private property is double taxed when owner dies. If your parents buy a house for example, they will pay the value added tax as well as other taxes that might apply to home owners. When they die and you inherit the house, the value of the property you claim will be determined and you will pay taxes on that property.

This means many hard working people lose their property to the state because they cannot afford to pay the taxes for it.

edt: To clarify, in the case of a house -- what would happen is that you would be forced to sell it just to cover the taxes from it. The government wouldn't just claim all of it. This would be sad if you actually wanted the house.
    That's incredible!!! ... here in Italy we always look to North Countries as being more "regulatory evolved" then us. Looking at the two laws above, I can tell you that we have exactly the same regulation on these matters.

And yes, in Italy mafia is legalised
    Last edited by dwarfolo; April 17th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfolo View Post
    And yes, in Italy mafia is legalised
    In the US, freedom of association is enshrined in law, so no one would ever be arrested for belonging to a mob-type group. Most of what they do is still illegal, but the groups themselves are legal in the US as well.

Japan probably has the most permissive approach to organized crime. There, the crime gangs are regulated, follow rules about what they can and can't do, own offices, and pay taxes.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast