Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid laws in your area.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Stupid laws in your area.

I'm not sure about Scotland, but in UK law it is illegal for an MP to wear a suit of armour in the House of Commons and it is illegal to impersonate a Chelsea pensioner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, the only stupid laws I can come up with on the top of my head are the liquor laws (go figure).

In Pennsylvania, you can only purchase wine and 'spirits' from a state-owned and operated liquor store, which consequently is not open on Sundays or very late at night. I also can only purchase my beer at either a distributor (who sells only beer/soda usually) in a case, or at the bar. In a very overpriced six pack.

Oh, this one is a winner too because it's still actually enforced : "Fireworks stores may not sell fireworks to Pennsylvania residents."

They set up stands every July near the state lines - so all our neighbors can come buy the fireworks that are illegal in their own state, but we can't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I was just at the office supply store where I bought a 6 pack of canned air, the cashier jokingly asked me if I was over 17, as they can't sell air to anyone under 17.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I was just at the office supply store where I bought a 6 pack of canned air, the cashier jokingly asked me if I was over 17, as they can't sell air to anyone under 17.
    Not like you have to be under 17 to have a great time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Yep. Sniffing air is probably some new way of getting high.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

In South Carolina, horses cannot be kept in bathtubs.
    I am absolutely serious.
    "You see, a pimp's love is very different from that of a square."
    Registered Linux User #450015 // Registered Ubuntu User #15992

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

in England, no one is allowed to eat swans, unless you are the Queen or a member of St. Johns collage, at cambrige university

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I dare you to play a video game.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

In Oregon (from this site: http://www.stupidlaws.com/laws/united-states/oregon/):

A door on a car may not be left open longer than is necessary. (huh?)

Babies may not be carried on the running boards of a car. (why would anyone do that??)

Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays. (I've done that countless times, and think I'm gonna do it this Sunday after reading that )

You may not pump your own gas in service stations. (Yeah, my dad hates this one lol, but this one is statewide, all gas stations have people to pump the gas for you)

And people, stop complaining about 70 MPH on English motorways. In Oregon, on Interstates the most you can go is 65, but the worst part, on non interstates (no matter how straight, safe, etc. they are), it's 55. Period. Washington and California aren't like this. Speed limits should be based on how safe the road is, not whether or not it's an interstate. And unfortunately, in Bend it's all US highways...Also most other states don't let you go much past 70 on Interstates (a few states have a few sections of 80, and some have 75, but for the most part not)
    Example (google street view): http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...=12,25.57,,0,5
    Last edited by doorknob60; April 17th, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast