Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless LAN does not connect

Beans

Angry Re: Wireless LAN does not connect

Hi I have the same problem. My wireless connection does not work.

Dell Inspiron

*-network
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4312 802.11b/g
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation

any suggestions? I'm lost here.

Beans

Re: Wireless LAN does not connect

Quote Originally Posted by mmaia View Post
    Hi I have the same problem. My wireless connection does not work.

Dell Inspiron

*-network
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4312 802.11b/g
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation

any suggestions? I'm lost here.
    I've had this problem ever since 9.04 (possibly earlier) - there were a couple of suggestions mentioned here that may help: -

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=68388

I've also had this problem with Fedora but another kernel worked fine for me on both occasions (with ubuntu and fedora).

Wish Canonical would sort this as they are pushing an 'Easy to Use" OS but this aspect is still not fixed "out of the box".

Really I would have thought the combination of EEE PC 1000 + Ubuntu would be a popular one - had this netbook now 18 months but still no success at having Wireless 'just work' straight after installation with any of the mainstream linux disties...

If anyone has an easy to follow guide on manually sorting this without having to use a different kernel then I'm all ears!

Beans

Re: Wireless LAN does not connect on Asus Eee 901 -Solved

Quote Originally Posted by ve7mdl View Post
    Well, some additional experimentation bore fruit.

I took the Eee 901 very close to the access point (a Linksys wireless router) and re-booted. This time I got connected.

When I moved away from the router, I guess it temporarily lost signal and would not recover - even though auto connect is on.

I decided to try some different setting on the router just for fun. The encryption scheme was set to TKIP+AES, which works fine for all the other machines and did work fine for another Ubuntu installation I had (9.10) at some point. Anyway, I changed it to AES and now the 901 connects!

I use WPA2 and a password, BTW.

I hope this information is useful for other people.

Cheers, ....Erik.

Just a confirmation.
    I'm running an EEE, WPA2 Personal, TKIP+AES and password... Could get no connection.
    Changed from TKIP+AES to AES, and all is good.

Thanks Erik!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Great solution if you can access the router, but many of us can't so it's no solution at all.
    The cloud is evil. Ubuntu One > /dev/null !!!

Beans

Crafty Kisses I would be really grateful if you would post whatever information you were going to post before ve7mdl got the wireless connection going. I'm still having problems getting my eee 901 running 10.04 to connect to my hidden SSID access point using WPA/WPA2 TKIP/AES

Thanks

Beans

Re: Wireless LAN does not connect : this worked for me !

Happy to report a successful fix on eee pc 1000

Starting from a 2.6.32 kernel which could see the wireless card and networks but not log on to a wireless network.

After a kernel upgrade-> 2.35 from Maverick none of the previously mentioned firmware issues were in evidence, iwconfig seemd ok and accepted ESSID directive but not key s:my_password

I don't use network-manager as it depends on upstart.
    My upgraded system uses sysv-init, and will continue to until upstart is part of Sid - seemingly on its way since last year.

Hence I needed a non-NetworkManager solution.

Seems wpa-supplicant is needed to WPA so unless you can find the Hex key by logging to that router from a different install/ machine and running iwconfig there. . .

I came across wicd on a Debian forum and located the package in Maverick Universe - installed and all was well to connect and re-connect

If this solution doesn't suit I guess you'll need to investigate wpa-supplicant in more detail.

Hope this helps,

Viva Sid, Viva Linux, Viva FOSS . . .
    onwards and upwards - per ardua ad astral avenues . . .
    way up on . . ,
    http://ip.icefactory.heliohost.org
    /http://icefactory.heliohost.org/

Beans

Came up against this very problem...this thread solved it! Router settings needed to be configured ditto to yours...WPA2 + password + AES encryption. Thx for the SUPER info!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12