Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't mount floppy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unhappy Can't mount floppy

fsck /dev/fd0
    does work properly with no error, emitting correct data on files on the fd. However,

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0

nor Palimpset GUI tool don't work for the fd disk. The GUI tool says "media not detected." The mount command doesn't emit error, it just normally(?) ends with silence indicating something which I do not understand. The floppy doesn't get mounted.

/etc/fstab has the entry:
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

What could be the cause and the solution for my poor little floppy disk problem?

Thanks in advance.
    p.s. I have renewed the floppy drive hardware but the problem continues.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Can't mount floppy

This may not be much help, but I've had problems in the semi-distant past using floppies w/ Ubuntu. I remember that downloading more packages (which aren't included by default as floppies are, shall we say? out of style) was the way to go. Looking at available packages fdutils sounds a bit familiar.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Can't mount floppy

Quote Originally Posted by hryanjones View Post
    This may not be much help, but I've had problems in the semi-distant past using floppies w/ Ubuntu. I remember that downloading more packages (which aren't included by default as floppies are, shall we say? out of style) was the way to go. Looking at available packages fdutils sounds a bit familiar.

Good luck.
    Thanks. I did what you suggested:

apt-get install fdutils

Installing was OK but the floppy problem wasn't solved. Fsck works for the fd but the mount command and the Palimpsest tool don't do things as expected.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Can't mount floppy

Oddly enough, after commenting out the /dev/fd0 entry on the /etc/fstab, and reboot, I can mount/umount the floppy normally from the command line, and an fd icon can be seen on the desktop. The Palimpsest GUI tool still says 'media not detected', though.

All the files on the floppy belong to the 'root', not to the user, so we need to copy them onto a user directory for editing them.

I don't see the reason for this weird behavior regarding the small fstab entry. Could anyone teach?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HiSiskin View Post
    Oddly enough, after commenting out the /dev/fd0 entry on the /etc/fstab, and reboot, I can mount/umount the floppy normally from the command line, and an fd icon can be seen on the desktop. The Palimpsest GUI tool still says 'media not detected', though.

All the files on the floppy belong to the 'root', not to the user, so we need to copy them onto a user directory for editing them.

I don't see the reason for this weird behavior regarding the small fstab entry. Could anyone teach?
    Hello,
    As for myself, I can't tell you the reason for that weird behavior, but since I had the same problem, I applied you idea, and I got the same result. So at least I can access my floppies by now .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Great!
    Commenting out the /dev/fd0 entry in the /etc/fstab file has solved my problem too.

So now to mount my disks I can use:-
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0
    Then use sudo nautilus to copy files from floppy to desktop.

Then unmount the disk using:-
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/fd0

Beans
    Distro

Could anyone explain what is happening around Ubuntu, floppy disk and /etc/fstab entry?
    Why on earth did we need to delete/comment-out the entry from the fstab file before mounting the floppy disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No solution here so far. I simply can't access my 3.5" diskette drive, no matter what, under Ubuntu.

It works fine when I run Windows (either XP or 7).

Given that I know the diskette is fine, and the drive works, I don't understand why I can't access it from within Ubuntu.
    Samsung Series 3 15.6" notebook (NP300-V5A-A02US)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Have you bothered to read this whole thread and not just the title?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    No solution here so far. I simply can't access my 3.5" diskette drive, no matter what, under Ubuntu.

It works fine when I run Windows (either XP or 7).

Given that I know the diskette is fine, and the drive works, I don't understand why I can't access it from within Ubuntu.
    Describe your situation detailedly, please.
    1) 'Cat' the /etc/fstab
    2) Do you have device fd0 on the /dev directory?
    3) What method did you use mounting the floppy?
    4) What sub-directories your /media dir has?
    ...etc., etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast