Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you get introduced to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

How did you get introduced to Ubuntu?

I remember wanting to change how Windows XP looked like and I installed a Mac theme and it was really slow, long story short(not really, I just don't remember, lol)I found something Called Ubuntu and decided to burn a cd, my first cd didn't work so I tried it with another one and I stayed up all night just for it to finish downloading.

What's your story?
    Best thing that ever happened to me on Ubuntu Forums: http://i.imgur.com/itEJe.png

Beans

Re: How did you get introduced to Ubuntu?

I got fed up with Windows, knew about linux already, used Linux Mint as my first distro for a bit and then got fed up with the problems on Mint so I came over to Ubuntu and haven't looked back since.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Saw a distro called slax which i found that i could run off a USB so i started using it almost all the time but got a bit sick of KDE 3 and a few other things. Then someone mentioned ubuntu where i could install it to my HDD and even boot alongside windows!! So i installed 8.04 (latest at that time) and i got rid of it until i recently installed fedora 12 and scrapped windows altogether. Happy times

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

For me about four years ago a friend of mine emailed me after attending NTLUG (North Texas LUG in Dallas, Tx) and seeing a presentation about Ubuntu. At that point I was running Slackware on my home server and OSX for my primary desktop and laptop, though I had just switched to OSX a couple of years prior from Linux.

After hearing this I checked the site, but at that point it was just another stone in the river of distros. Over the next year or so Ubuntu started bubbling up into the FOSS news more and more, so I eventually downloaded either version 5 or 6 (can't remember) and installed it on an old eMac (PowerPC Processor), but PPC support was pretty bad.

From there I tested it virtually off and on, and eventually moved my home server to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, which it still runs. I was VERY impressed with this, so last year when I decided to retire my iBook and move back to Linux I decided to run with Ubuntu, which now my primary system is a System76 laptop with Ubuntu 9.04. I'll upgrade to 10.04 LTS when it's out later this month given System76 has drivers available for my system.

Sam
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Beans
    Hidden!

all the older kids at school where using it so i started to to fit in, now i'm hooked and homeless, wandering around all day looking for one more hit of buntu.
    it started off free but then they jacked up the price, i have to steal car steros to get web cafe tokens. i wish i had stayed with windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My sister's high school newspaper editor gave me a 5.04 Hoary Hedgehog Live CD that I experimented with on an old computer. "The rest," as they say, "is history."
    Linux systems are like LEGOs :
    they are infinitely customizable
    and limited only by a user's imagination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have known Zerhache since i was 19. I am now 34. I was building a computer The disk was 7.04 (IBM 300) and i needed a system that was free, since i had recently injured my back and lost my job as a lead man at service spring corp. so he told me what to do the told me to start googling and if i had any questions ask after i looked. I got hooked on it. I joined the forum in 08. used xp durning the 8.04 and 8.10, because my wife complained too much. got 2 computers now im on my Linux box all the time.
    0118 999 881 99 9119 725.......... 3

Beans

Really in the very begging i saw ubuntu in popular sciences' how 2.0 section. At that time it was ubuntu 8.04 LTS. So i downloaded it and installed it on my laptop via wubi. It was great minus the fact their was no wifi. Then around November of 09 i transferred to another high school where the whole network was running Debian. Their I argued with my IT over why windows is better than Linux and lost every time. So i got the point and did a dual boot after vista on my computer crashed. And from their on out i kinda stuck to it.
    Email Me For Free Support: sonny@tekkidd.com
    Find me on twitter: @tekkidd @w95error
    My Blog: http://tekkidd.com/
    Laptop: Mac OSX 10.7 (Macbook 13") | Desktop: Debian Squeeze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I came across articles about Ubuntu on the web and decided to try Wubi based on a good review of 9.10 . Wubi worked great for me and not long after I burned a cd and watched an installation video on Youtube and here I am.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My brother suggested that I try it, I had several frustrating experiences with Micosoft (the company and the products), so I installed Ubuntu Feisty, and as they say the rest is history

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast