Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: How did you get introduced to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How did you get introduced to Ubuntu?

My first contact with a Unix-like system dates back to about ten years ago in university, where the labs were almost uniquely equipped with HP-Unix machines.
    After that, I worked at my master thesis on a Unix machine and was wondering how to port easily all my custom software to my home PC; my supervisor suggested Linux as a sort of alternative to Unix, so I downloaded my first Mandrake Linux CDs and started delving into Linux.
    After a few years experimenting with Mandrake, Red Hat (and then Fedora), SUSE and others, I noticed the "new kid on the block" and read interesting reviews on it, so I decided to give it a try, ending up with Ubuntu as my everyday distro.

Beans

My laptop at the time had a nasty virus on it, rendering it unusable, and all other free antivirus software I could find was useless and couldn't even detect the damn thing. At this point I was tired with Windows(I had a nasty experience with a Toshiba laptop that gave me bluescreens a few seconds after starting up) so I looked around to getting a new computer, or replacing the hard drive on the laptop. But I didn't want windows machines, and Macs(although I like them) were too expensive.

Then after reading a favoirte webcomic of mine, I saw xkcd mention something called "linux". I looked that up, and intially became torn between Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.10. Ubuntu seemed simpler to use for me, and was easier to use command-line wise, so I stuck with Ubuntu, and have been with it since.

Beans

I've always used Windows since 3.11, apart from a couple of courses in uni where I had to use Linux (I don't even remember the distro, I only remember that it had a KDE environment) but I didn't like it that much.

Then during the last winter my "main" PC broke up and I had to use my old PC that had become slow and needed a format, so a colleague of mine talked me about the chance to try Ubuntu.
    I started with Kubuntu (as I was already a little familiar with KDE) and installed it also on my brand new machine that has more or less 6 months now. I eventually moved over to Ubuntu just little more than a month ago.
    I'm a human, so I can make mistakes. Therefore this post (which represents my view) may be mistaken or contain errors.
    Oh, by the way, it may also feature some sarcasm. So take it easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

my laptop kept getting slower and slower under xp. Too many viruses - and I dont even surf pron. One day, ai just said stuff it, and googled "easy Linux" and there was some site spruiking ubuntu.

If it wasn't for my iPhone, I would have ditched windows on my other machine as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i found it in google. XD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Back in 2007 I was looking for a way to use an older IBM Aptiva 500mhz pc in my living room to record LPs to CDs. A Google search turned up Audacity and some research on Amazon Books turned up Ubuntu for Non Geeks by Rickford Grant. I installed Feisty on the IBM and Gutsy as a dual boot with XP on my Compaq desktop. Still have not digitalized any of the LPs. Recycled the Aptiva. The Compaq is happily running Lucid.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As a happy cp/m user on Intertec Superbrains I took little notice of micro computers apart from using them for banking etc. until I retired from mainframe/mini computer work in 2002. As the price/performance improved I bought an eMachine to play with and found the supplied operating system to be sadly lacking in disc performance and security when connected via modem to the internet. My research led me to Ubuntu eventually and I tried various versions until 9.10 actually provided a reasonably stable platform. With 10.04 I thoroughly enjoyed testing from Alpha 1 and clean installed to replace my 9.10.

I have copied my 10.04 to an external disc and upgraded to 10.10 Beta with success after testing Wubi in W7 and Vbox versions so will be upgrading on my main installation once 10.10 is Final.
    Intelligence - that which leads to harmony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My xp was getting unstable and my recovery partition disappeared. Some cool, knowledgeable members of Wilder's Security Forum suggested Ubuntu. Decided to try it for the weekend before buying the xp disks. That was 6.06, and I never went back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I had already been using Suse for a couple of years, and used to get Linux Magazine every so often. I got my first copy of Ubuntu on the disc, and gave it a try because the magazine gave it a good review. (And because I had it on the disc anyway)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Tried Red Hat 9 a few years ago - found it under developed. Didn't look back for a few years, then a co-worker told me about Ubuntu. I did some reading and decided to give Linux another go. Loved it, especially how helpful this forums site is

::::come on..bring it in for a group hug::::

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112