Thread: Managing Ubuntu Dekstops

Beans

Managing Ubuntu Dekstops

I am looking at implementing a project at work to install and manage Ubuntu desktops running the latest 10.04 LTS version(when it is released) on 110 Pentium 4 machines. The latest Beta version starts up in 30 seconds (even on old hardware Smile ). These machines were destined for computer heaven until we rescued them, so we have done our bit for the environment Smile

We currently run and support half a dozen Ubuntu servers at work so we are not total noobs Smile I have also used Ubuntu as my primary desktop on my laptop for around 5 years now.

The machines will run Gnome, OpenOffice, Firefox, Scribus and GIMP.

Some ideas on how we are thinking of managing and/or implementing the project.

Initital base build Clonezilla/FOG/ One supplier mentioned using Debian installer. Would appear d-i gives more control over hardware and software packages. Does d-i work with latest version of Ubuntu is there a Ubuntu spefic version of preseed etc?

Managing the desktop shortcuts, security, configuration and remote application installation. Some examples of how we want to configure the system are that we want add a wow factor by ensuring compiz is enabled for each user profile, integration with ActiveDirectory, provide consistent set of applications short cuts etc, lockdown security via gconf etc. Does ubuntu/gnome have a specfic management tool. Or would looking at cfengine/puppy be better?

Maybe there is something we are missing and there are other tools out there ?

Also consider commercial assistance to help implement this solution. I have already asked for commercial quote from a UK company.

All the best,

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Managing Ubuntu Dekstops

Have you aldready taken in consideration LTSP as a possible solution?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

Beans

Re: Managing Ubuntu Dekstops

I have looked at LTSP, and to do it properly we would need at least one well specced server(Ideally 2). Which we do not really have the budget for. The PCs are fast enough to run and process the workload required from them, so we may as well put the local machine to good use. We do have some much older hardware that could benefit from LTSP though, so hope to also do a project that uses LTSP at some point. Does 10.04 have spcefic improvements for LTSP version that may help with memory requirements?

Thanks,

Tim

PS anyone using likewise for managing Ubuntu ?
    Last edited by monkeyx.net; April 13th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.