Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Can't install Nvidia driver.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    41

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    DeMus has given you help.

    System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and click on the Settings > Repositories menu, then Other Software tab...

    That's where to add the information to your sources.list as described.
    Thank you. I was just worried I said something wrong or something :-S


    Ok, thank you. I'm a total noob with this stuff, so I need even the most basic things explained lol. I looked up how to use Synaptics for linux, but it came up with touchscreen drivers :-/

    Thank you all again, I'll see if I can get it working now...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    41

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    I have it right so far I think, but I'm not sure where to put the signing key in at. Help again please?


    EDIT: I think I got it, I clicked the key on the page and copied the text on it, and then put that in a file and imported the file. Anyhow, it seems to be downloading now.
    Last edited by GibsonSGKing; April 13th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    56,885

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
    I have it right so far I think, but I'm not sure where to put the signing key in at. Help again please?
    Same place, only instead of the Other Software tab, use the Authentication tab.

    System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and click on the Settings > Repositories menu, then Authentication tab...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    41

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    I downloaded it, think I installed it, and it has a green box next to the driver in Synaptic, but yet when I go to hardware drivers nothing shows up. I don't understand

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    41

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    Please somebody help, I'm so close to getting this it's painful

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    41

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    Bump

    /cries

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    Beans
    156
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    It wont show up under hardware drivers. Sounds like it should be installed. You should have Nvidia X Server Settings under your Preferences now.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    41

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgb View Post
    It wont show up under hardware drivers. Sounds like it should be installed. You should have Nvidia X Server Settings under your Preferences now.
    Nope. I don't understand it. I've tried 2 versions now, and reinstalling it. It's just a no go

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    Beans
    156
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    Well it may be the Nvidia X Server Settings manager might not install from the PPA by itself. Not sure on that one. If not you should be able to lookup nvidia-settings in Synaptic to install it. Other then this why do you think it didn't install? Are you having problems with video? You can verify if it is in fact being used by going into terminal and entering the below code. There will be a section in the displayed info that states client glx vendor string and it should state NVIDIA Corporation.

    Code:
    glxinfo

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    41

    Re: Can't install Nvidia driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgb View Post
    Well it may be the Nvidia X Server Settings manager might not install from the PPA by itself. Not sure on that one. If not you should be able to lookup nvidia-settings in Synaptic to install it. Other then this why do you think it didn't install? Are you having problems with video? You can verify if it is in fact being used by going into terminal and entering the below code. There will be a section in the displayed info that states client glx vendor string and it should state NVIDIA Corporation.

    Code:
    glxinfo
    Installing the NvidiaXServer Settings now, and when I put that command into the console this is the output-


    Code:
    name of display: :0.0
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual
    
       visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
     id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    0x21 16 tc  1  0  0 c  .  .  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    0x3a 32 tc  1  0  0 c  .  .  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
    So I have to think that it's not recognizing my video card. Thank you for all of your help so far as well, I appreciate it a lot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •