Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hacking Ubuntu from Windows7

Beans

Hacking Ubuntu from Windows7

I need to know whether Ubuntu can be hacked when it is installed as a dual boot with W7 by hacking windows and getting access to the Ubuntu partition?

What I would also like to know if this way can be used to put a key logger or screen capture in Ubuntu which installs next time Ubuntu is started?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Hacking Ubuntu from Windows7

Without using extra software Windows can't directly access any type of partition other than NTFS/vfat.

With social engineering, anything is possible. If you use Ubuntu, you know that system wide programs have to installed by root.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Why do people use the term "hacking" so frequently.

You'd need to have the ext-FS driver installed and I believe that it won't read EXT4 partitions.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

If they have physical access, it's probably easier to get in by booting the computer from a live CD, rather than going in through your Windows install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by dgw View Post
    If they have physical access, it's probably easier to get in by booting the computer from a live CD, rather than going in through your Windows install.
    Bingo.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherH View Post
    I need to know whether Ubuntu can be hacked when it is installed as a dual boot with W7 by hacking windows and getting access to the Ubuntu partition?

What I would also like to know if this way can be used to put a key logger or screen capture in Ubuntu which installs next time Ubuntu is started?
    whatcha up to?
    Someday we'll hit the human carrying capacity. And the band will just play on. -Me

I'm trying PHP, so my code can probably be labelled "bad and insecure"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My Spidy Senses are tingling like MAD over here. I don't like the direction this guy is going AT ALL... *try not to jump to conclusions* *BUT IT'S SO HARD RIGHT NOW*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Physical Access = Root Access.

If you don't trust someone with your computer do the following:

1) Don't let him near the computer.
    2) Encrypt your file system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if windows was compromised to the point where an attacker could install some driver to read your linux filesystem and put some specially crafted files in the correct places (assuming no encryption in those places) it could be possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft deployed an update that messes with linux partitions either. Full encryption might help to avoid such an (unlikely attack).

Beans

I am less worried about local access at this stage. Reading the replies it seems to me that it is entirely possible to get to Ubuntu through W7. I am not worried about a chance attacker so much but a targeted attack to take sensitive data and I am left with the same concerns I started with. I like the idea of encryption and would like to know what to do to encrypt Ubuntu if it is already installed. I have a copy of TrueCrypt and can encrypt containers but don't know about encrypting partitions or Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast