Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Empathy / Skype connection?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Empathy / Skype connection?

I thought I heard that the Empathy IM client (or one of the other multi-protocol IM clients?) for Ubuntu would connect to Skype to allow text chat. Is this true?

If so, how do I do it? Do I need to install skype on my system first?

(I want to accept messages from folks who are on skype in addition to several other instant message services, so I really want to make this work without having to log in to each system separately.)

Beans

Re: Empathy / Skype connection?

Nope, the Skype protocol is obfuscated and nobody bothered to reverse engineer it yet.

Beans

Actually, skype does provide an API which allows this exact behaviour. It does require you to have skype itself running in the background unfortunately though, but this probably isn't such a massive problem for most people, it does mean that you will have to install skype first though yea.

Check http://eion.robbmob.com/ for a download of a plugin for libpurple (used by pidgin / empathy? etc) which interfaces with skype and instructions on how to get it set up with pidgin. I have a feeling that it might be in the repos too - just search for skype or something - but I'm not sure.

I have used this myself so i can vouch for it . I have only used it with pidgin myself, but I guess it should probably work for other stuff too.

good luck .

EDIT:

Just installed this myself, the one in the repos doesn't seem to work with empathy in 10.04, and the one from the website depends on pidgin, so if you want to use skype with empathy here is a bug report along with a solution https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...8?comments=all
    Last edited by eliasv; April 22nd, 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Beans

My debian based nokia n900 has skype integrated with all the other contact methods so it must be possible, unless nokia hasn't released certain components of the maemo sourcecode. I've gotta go do some digging.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Nope, the Skype protocol is obfuscated and nobody bothered to reverse engineer it yet.
    Actually, several of the multi-protocol IM clients on Windows have & support Skype... Trillian, Pidgin... Skype seems to be the popular IM flavor of the moment with a lot of the geeks @ tech companies I work with.

Actually, I just may have solved my own problem... Pidgin & Instabird are both available for ubuntu, and both support Skype. In fact, it seems, Empathy is one of the few that does not?

Beans

Yes, it works in Empathy (use it myself under 10.10). It's not called Skype tho. Install Skype, then install the pidgin-skype package, start skype, then when you run Empathy the skype plugin shows up as account type "bigbrownchunx-skype-dbus".

Methinks a developer has a sense of humor

Note: Skype must run in addition to empathy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by paulsomm View Post
    Yes, it works in Empathy (use it myself under 10.10). It's not called Skype tho. Install Skype, then install the pidgin-skype package, start skype, then when you run Empathy the skype plugin shows up as account type "bigbrownchunx-skype-dbus".

Methinks a developer has a sense of humor

Note: Skype must run in addition to empathy.
    Everything works fine right up to the moment I enter the account info for my skype account. There's only a single field for the account name, and that's it. There's a button to "log in" but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm lost here.

Beans

I have had success with Empathy +Skype on Ubuntu 10.10 following these directions. I installed the Skype Beta client 2.1.0.81 first and entered just my account name in the Empathy setup. When I clicked connect, it opened the Skype client and asked permission for the Empathy plugin to use my Skype account. I then just entered my password in Skype and everything seems happy.

Hope that helps.

Beans

I tried many suggestions (described here as well as the bug report) but I still get a "Disconnected - Network error" error in empathy..

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
    I tried many suggestions (described here as well as the bug report) but I still get a "Disconnected - Network error" error in empathy..

Any ideas?
    I had the same problem, and I have solved it few minutes ago! Posible cause may be that you have only 32-bit versions of libskype.so and libskype-dbus.so in usr/lib/purple-2 folder while running 64-bit Ubuntu. At least that was my case. So I went to http://eion.robbmob.com/ , and downloaded 64-bit versions, copied them to usr/lib/purple-2 and it worked like a charm. Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast