Thread: Desktop Environment

Beans

Desktop Environment

Hi all, currently i'm using the standard DE that came with ubuntu, it's gnome I think.I'm looking for a new environment and i've been considering XFCE, but i'm not a big fan of it anymore, couple years ago it was nice, well anyways, just about every desktop environment i've seen advertises that it's "lightweight", this doesn't bother me in the slightest, I like fancy effects, my computers fast enough to deal with it so my question is: If I want a new desktop environment that's shiny and sparkly what's the best to go with? I'm also crap with linux so I don't want a hard one to install, I saw a nice one called Beryl/Compiz or something a while ago, I believe it's dead but anyways, i'm looking for one along those lines. Thanks =)

-Rob

Beans

Re: Desktop Environment

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Summer View Post
    If I want a new desktop environment that's shiny and sparkly what's the best to go with?
    KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A discussion of desktop environments is bound to start a war on here of people telling you one is better than the other but the truth is they all have strengths a weaknesses. It comes down to what you personally like. I personally like KDE as it has a very unified modern look.

Attached is an essay I wrote for a Linux class I was taking. The question was “Which desktop environment do you like and why?” It was good enough to get me an A, maybe it will be a good reference for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Cheers guys, i'll check KDE out, last I remebered KDE was similar to windows so I hated it, but i'll check it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Summer View Post
    If I want a new desktop environment that's shiny and sparkly what's the best to go with?
    That would probably be KDE.

I personally use Gnome, and am loving it... especially with Lucid. There are some really cool ways to configure the looks of gnome like with a dock. I like cairo-dock best. www.glx-dock.com

I think that sort of makes it shine, but maybe not as much as KDE does.

Beans

You want fluff, shiny and stunning - go for KDE, but use 4.4 that comes with Lucid. Basically get Kubuntu 10.04.

As for XFCE, it is really fast, much faster than either Gnome or KDE. XFCE only lacks in 3D effects, however, it is possible to get Compiz running with XFCE. I just don't know how.