Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 10.04 won't boot without monitor / keyboard (headless)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 10.04 won't boot without monitor / keyboard (headless)

@jkurtisr32
    [No errors] is the one you want

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey, thanks for specifying the selection, but unfortunately it didn't work. I did try all of the available selections, and NONE of them worked.

I might try some of these more complicated software workarounds described above, but I think that due to my limited knowledge of the operating system, I think I might just try a hardware fix.

The below quote contains a very clever workaround that would be an easy application.

Quote Originally Posted by crinkelcut_chip View Post
    ...easiest solution for this at the moment I'd say is

1) either
    a) buy a dvi-vga adapter (if your computer has a dvi output on its graphics card)
    b) buy a vga joiner or sorts if your computer has a vga output... like http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...a&form=KEYWORD

2) Then buy 3 60-80ohm resisters (75ohm is ideal) (.25- .5w) like
    http://www.radioparts.com.au/ProdVie...2f4W+1%25+MF25

3) Push each end of a resister firmly into a hole on the socket
    ...you need to put the load between (on the vga socket of your adapter)
    pins
    1-6
    2-7
    3-8

Then plug into graphics card...

This will simulate a load on the graphics card... essentially the computer will think there is a generic monitor is attached..

Beans

Post #26 from lank23 work for my 10.04 Mythbuntu box. Thank you lank23!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: 10.04 won't boot without monitor / keyboard (headless)

Quote Originally Posted by bontux View Post
    Post #26 from lank23 work for my 10.04 Mythbuntu box. Thank you lank23!
    Welcome! Glad it worked.

Beans

I previously configured this Lucid box to start tightvnc server so I could remote in. When I unplugged the monitor and rebooted, couldn't vnc in. I could ssh in. Plugging in the monitor gave a nice black screen.

lank23's post #26 did it for me. I can now vnc in when it boots with no monitor attached -- perfectly headless. Plugging in the monitor after reboot also works -- seems a low resolution, but a monitor will never be attached so I don't care. Into the closet it goes!

Thanks everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Alternative:

1. Edit GRUB
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    2. Find & Uncomment
    Code:
    GRUB_TERMINAL=console
    3. Update GRUB
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    or/and
    Code:
    su -c update-grub
    4. Create xorg.conf file.
    Example:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
         Identifier     "VNC Monitor"
         Modeline       "1440x900_60.00"  106.47  1440 1520 1672 1904  900 901 904 932  -HSync +Vsync
         Option         "PreferredMode" "1440x900_60.00"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier     "VNC Device"
         Driver         "ati"
         Option         "VNC Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier     "VNC Screen"
         Device         "VNC Device"
         Monitor        "VNC Monitor"
         DefaultDepth   24
         SubSection "Display"
              Depth 24
              Modes "1440x900"
              Virtual 1440 900
         EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "Default Layout"
         Screen         "VNC Screen"
    EndSection
    5. Restart
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    Few notes:
    - Now there is no need to turn off KMS.
    - No tearing if you decide to attach a monitor.
    - Can use power profile management with ATI OSS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It may also be worth checking your client as well. I was trying for ages with screensharing from the mac - it used to work in the past, possibly when a monitor was attached, but doesn't now. Downloading a different VNC client got me straight in. If only I'd tried that earlier.

Beans

So I'm having same issues as everyone here. I am runnign 10.04 LTS. i have a server/media center, that is plugged into my tv. If i have my TV off my server does not boot into ubuntu. I can ssh into it but can not vnc using tightvnc viewer. I have tried adding the xorg.conf file, changing grub, and adding the modeset=0. I have an intel board with onboard hdmi. Can anyone help me out with this problem? Thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by vslice24 View Post
    So I'm having same issues as everyone here. I am runnign 10.04 LTS...
    Same version as me, but my setup is a bit weird compared to others in this thread. I have two Compaq D51S machines, one running XP Pro, and the other on Ubuntu 10.04

The Ubuntu system acts as a server for my two DM500S linux satellite receivers, on 24/7. But it also doubles as my dev platform for modding Neutrino and Enigma tuxbox images for the sat boxes. Both PCs share the same monitor, (which is a 22" LCD TV) via a passive '2 in - 1 out' vga switch box.

I wanted to set up a daily Gnome Scheduler cron job 'as' root to reboot the Ubuntu PC at 05:20 daily, 5 minutes before both sat boxes do their cron reboots. Getting the right command to do that in Ubuntu is another story, but here is the bottom line:

20 5 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r now

Fine, this does the job. Downside was, that as the monitor is invariably switched through to the XP machine, Ubuntu threw it's toys out of the pram at finding no monitor. It didn't halt, and was all working normally via ftp and telnet, and was still serving the sat boxes. But when I switched the monitor thru to Ubuntu, black screen, no GUI...

This is when I googled and found this very educational thread. Before following ALL the recommended steps in the more recent posts above, I had a good browse in Ubuntu itself, and found something rather interesting in System > Admin > View Logs

Here, I found the xorg logs, which suggested that 10.04 is looking for it's xorg config file in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ - so I tried bapool's xorg.conf from post #21 in that folder AND in /etc/X11 and no other mods whatsoever. I then set up a one-off cron reboot of Ubuntu for 13:20 then switched the monitor back to XP and shut XP down, leaving the Ubuntu machine running. Off to the pub...

Later, with XP fired up again, I accessed Ubuntu via telnet and did the uptime command. 3 hrs 10 mins was the reply, so the auto-reboot had worked. Then the acid test- switch monitor to Ubuntu. Voilá!! There's my beautiful Ubuntu Desktop GUI !!!

A very BIG thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, but especially to bapool - you're a star!!

Cheers- AL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

By way of a postscript, I didn't like the ambiguity of my configuration, in terms of having two identical xorg.conf files on two different paths. So before turning in last night, I deleted the one I'd added into the usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder, leaving just the one in the recommended /etc/X11/ folder.

I checked the uptime status at 08:25 and this was reported as 3 hrs 5 mins, so the cron reboot worked fine at 05:20

Another bonus I've found is that the Refresh Rate for my 'unknown' monitor is now 76 Hz, wheras the previous config only gave 60 Hz. I hope this info helps any 10.04 LTS users who are still struggling with headless reboots. Bapool's xorg.conf in post #21 seems to do the job!

Cheers- AL

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast