Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I cant get HellaNZB and LottaNZB to work

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I cant get HellaNZB and LottaNZB to work

Firstly I have thought about changing my name and I decided not to do it in the near future.
    As there are some things that I think I understand about "linux", but there's lots and lots of things I don't know and I do still post questions in the "Absolute Beginner Talk"-section of this forum.

I guess it's a security-measure to have the config-file root-only write-access, but that would require hellanzb to run as root if you want to change the config through the GUI.
    That a program with root-access does create directories as root is not that hard to understand. As mentioned in my post above you'll just have to chown and chmod it. You can quite securely do so, as root can't be denied access (so even if the program is running, it can access that folder).

I recently had a thread about starting sabnzbd and a few other things. That because I don't want any download-tool to run as root. Maybe it's of some use for you too (link)
    When you start hellanzb as a normal user, it shouldn't create root-only folders either. Although you might have re-assign rights to the current folders (or delete them and have them made again).

About the touchpad: maybe this thread can be of use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I would persevere with Hellanzb, I use it totally automated & it works like a dream. I installed it, put my username/password in the conf file along with my usenet server (easynews) and it starts at 00:30 every weekday in cron, getting killed at 18:00 weekdays by Cron. Lottanzb detects a running copy of Hella, so theres nothing to setup. As long as Hella is running with a valid usenet server (eg news.easynews.com) and a valid username/account for that server it works great. I have another great program called Leechr scan NZB sites for stuff I want, and it downloads them straight into Hellanzb's inbox, where it downloads them, unpacks them and puts them in the 'Done' folder which I have a shortcut to on my desktop. I get up in the morning and all my new downloads are waiting for me! I would stress you probably need a premium usenet account as the free noes wont have all the parts of big downloads.
    Steve
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.
    HP Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 756 mb ram running Intrepid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't see your problem.
    install lottanzb and run it. that simple.

PS: I do all my usenet download with PAN. it's far less intuitive but much more stable. lottanzb is always unbearably buggy for me (or maybe hellanzb is)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

mister_p_1998 (steve) it sounds like you know how to get this going! from the sounds of it i must have just made an incorrect conf file?

I do use a premium server and recommend it to anyone who uses the usenet for downloading at all I am currently using Astraweb and am paying $11 a month.

Now for my question Currently I am using Sabnzb+ although i still have this want to get hellaNZB working because i haven't been able to do it. Could you do me a Big favour (BIG for me hopefully not for your) and possibly make me a config file?

here is my information again for ease of use i know its a repost but i want to make it easy for you if at all possible. (i normally use SSL but in this case i am not worried i more want it to just work)

• Server Address: us.news.astraweb.com:119

• For username and password could you just put "username" and "password" in all areas its needed?

• For Downloaded Files could they go to a folder in my home directory called /incomming/

• My username for ubuntu is matthew

• I would like to use 7 connections

• My download speed is 20 mbits or 2 MB a sec

• If you can i would love it to start at 5:00 and shut down at 18:00

PLEASE tell me if you need anything else or don't understand the way i typed this. I would SOOO appreciate it if you could help me with this you couldn't know! I would love you. (as a brother!)

Basically the way you have your system set up it is exactly what i would like I would prefer Please tell me if you can do this for me as far as i know all i would have to do is plug in the conf file you make for me and it should work like a dream? am i correct?

you don't know how much i have been waiting for someone like you to help me with such a thing as so far almost everyone i talk to does not know hellanzb they are just trying to help me. Your post made me Very excited I hope you can help me and I hope you want to!

I am just such a newb IDK what i can do if you want you can PM me and i can invite you to Google Voice, Newzbin.com, or Google Wave, other than that i don't know what i can provide for you in appreciation of helping me. Personally out of the above I get the most use out of Google Voice its great and since newzbin got sued they no longer have the content i want so i have started using nzbmatrix i think its better right now and i like that it is a lifetime membership instead of 50 cents US a week (the site is based on english currency so its 25 pence a week with a minimum of 2 pounds per "account, top up"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This part is to reply to cb951303:

lotta can be run in several ways, it can run on its own without hella but all it does is download without hellaNZB it does not post process the compressed file and if needed repair with parity files, then it also can be a gui front end for HelllaNZB and then you get all your extra options.

Now for Pan I have used it for years for basic small file downloading and browsing, I think if the developers of the program first add NZB support and then just add an auto-rar to it like a windows application i know called newsbinpro it would be a contender but as of now IMO its just NOT up with the times right now EVERYONE uses NZB files and it needs to be implemented in pan then it would be great especially since its been ported into OSX and Windows under the GHU license it would be VERY popular. This is my Opinion of Pan I still use it for reading posts, posting replies but i only use it to download single files that NZB's are not needed for since i know where they are and i follow the Groups. So simply like i said Pan is Great but IMO behind the times and needs some fast development ASAP to be a contender! LOL
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Every Day I Learn Something New And Realise I know Less And Less

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Ok heres your hellanzb.conf file,rename it from hellanzb.conf.txt to hellanzb.conf, you need to rename it to hellanzb.conf (take the .txt off) it needs to be copied to /usr/etc (you need to be root to do this)
    make sure you are in the same dir as hellanzb.conf and type: sudo cp hellanzb.conf /usr/etc/

Take note of the following line, this shows where Hellanzb should place its working folders:

# Important locations
    Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = '/home/steve/hellanzb'
    or where ever you want it to go (/home/matthew/hellanzb)

When you're happy with the setup, type hellanzb in a commandline, you should see the following pic

to start downloading, drop your NZB files into your /home/matthew/hellanzb/nzb/daemon.queue/

When theyre finished, they should be moved to the done folder

to autostart you need to get to get to grips with cron, we'll sort that out later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mister_p_1998; April 16th, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BeatnikBandit View Post
    lotta can be run in several ways, it can run on its own without hella but all it does is download without hellaNZB it does not post process the compressed file and if needed repair with parity files, then it also can be a gui front end for HelllaNZB and then you get all your extra options.

Now for Pan I have used it for years for basic small file downloading and browsing, I think if the developers of the program first add NZB support and then just add an auto-rar to it like a windows application i know called newsbinpro it would be a contender but as of now IMO its just NOT up with the times right now EVERYONE uses NZB files and it needs to be implemented in pan then it would be great especially since its been ported into OSX and Windows under the GHU license it would be VERY popular. This is my Opinion of Pan I still use it for reading posts, posting replies but i only use it to download single files that NZB's are not needed for since i know where they are and i follow the Groups. So simply like i said Pan is Great but IMO behind the times and needs some fast development ASAP to be a contender! LOL
    AFAIK lottanzb *only* works with hellanzb but gives you couple of choice about how to use it.
    It can either use hellanzb as a system-wide service that runs everytime, or it can run it everytime you start a download and then quit when the download finishes.

BTW, PAN supports NZB files, since I'm using it for more than 3 years now I'm pretty sure it's not newly supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

How do you run it when you start a download?
    I have it start at midnight on cron, then it gets killed at 18:00, it watches the inbox for NBZ's placed there by leechr.

Steve

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow two more replies and good ones too!!

mister_p_1998:
    Thank you soo soo much for giving me a HellaNZB conf file that i know works and I should be able to understand! (for some reason I think the multiple server setting part messed me up and also the directory setting) So now that you have provided me with one that you know works, If i cant get it to work then we know its human error and that can be fixed easily, I hope.

I will try to get it working and report back with any changes i have made and weather or not it works. I will be running it Pretty much the exact way I run Sab as i manually run and shut it down.
    Also I have been told its not a good idea to leave these programs/daemons running when you shut down without shutting them down first so I may ask you for a lesson soon to automate it.

(that is only if it doesn't bother you) I will ask first and if i am too dense to get it then i understand if you want me to learn more on my own before more lessons we all need a LITTLE homework no matter how much we hate it LOL.
    Rant:
    (I graduated over 10 years ago) should be 8 but i graduated high school early, not bragging i went to a charter high school so i could work and finish school faster, and still doing homework weather it be College, yes i am in my 6th year but i work and am part time or life its always good to learn. Personally I Love to learn and although practice doesn't make perfect (only because i believe humans are not perfect therefore cannot create anything Perfect as there is always some way of making anything better) so I think nothing can be prefect but if its the best you can do that is as much as you can strive for. If you try to be perfect you will go insane just ALWAYS do your BEST and as long as you do you will learn and get better every time. Sorry for the rant.
    __________________________________________________ ______

cb951303:
    Thank you for informing me more about Pan!!! I used it for years but i stopped during what i know now was a short period when it did not support NZB files I have version .133 and ya know what. when i just opened it to check the version i clicked file and the FIRST OPTION is NZB. I have no problem with admitting i was wrong and i was wrong.

I am sorry to everyone for providing incorrect information that's no good for anyone. THANK you for correcting me!

Does it just download NZB files Like Klibido (i bet faster if it does KLlibido is terrible IMO) or does it also process them.

Pan has been around for a while. Before .NZB files it was my sole Usenet Client even in windows. (that's probably the best thing about it, it is a GUI that has a port for windows Linux and OSX its FREE it supports NZB files. I will recommend it to anyone new at the Usenet since i think its the best program that supports nzb files for new users!

That's just GREAT to Know that it supports Nzb files Ill have to try it out now I already use it just not for nzb. When i try it out it will be to check the speed and one to see if it has post download processing.

The ONE problem i have with it that maybe you know how to fix is that the Max connections allowed when setting up a server (afaik) is only 4 I get about 3/4 my max speed with 4 connections i need at least 6 i prefer 6-8 as more adds system load and less does not max out my speed of 2mbits. Is their a way around the max connections of 4 per server?

__________________________________________________ _______

As always Thank you all for posting and even just reading this thread as it has been a long process but good things come to those who wait although i didn't have to wait long thanks to the great people on this board i think i am on my way to getting it all up and going!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BeatnikBandit View Post
    cb951303:
    Thank you for informing me more about Pan!!! I used it for years but i stopped during what i know now was a short period when it did not support NZB files I have version .133 and ya know what. when i just opened it to check the version i clicked file and the FIRST OPTION is NZB. I have no problem with admitting i was wrong and i was wrong.

I am sorry to everyone for providing incorrect information that's no good for anyone. THANK you for correcting me!

Does it just download NZB files Like Klibido (i bet faster if it does KLlibido is terrible IMO) or does it also process them.
    by processing if you mean does it decode yENC or uuencodethen yes but it doesn't do auto unrar which I think not that important and very annoying for some people like me

The ONE problem i have with it that maybe you know how to fix is that the Max connections allowed when setting up a server (afaik) is only 4 I get about 3/4 my max speed with 4 connections i need at least 6 i prefer 6-8 as more adds system load and less does not max out my speed of 2mbits. Is their a way around the max connections of 4 per server?
    I believe that's a bug. since I can max the speed with 4 connections it didn't bother me before but that may be a problem for other people. AFAIK there is no workaround.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was busy yesterday so i have just begun to get at working with this. i have gotten your conf file I appreciate helping me with the config, on my conf file i messed up the sever part as i didn't understand it as i suppose the first like is the name of the server and the second is the actual server IDK but anyway the only changes i name was changing the home directory and i am wondering about the max speed option?

I changed this line
    Code:
    # Important locations
    Hellanzb.PREFIX_DIR = '/home/matthew/hellanzb'
    I don't understand this line, It looks to me that its about speed limiting and i dont want that at all, since it says # limit to 150kB/s it makes me think i should change it do i need to? as i said my max speed is 20 mbits so i want to get what i pay for ya know.
    Code:
    # Uncomment this line to limit all server connections to the specified KB/s
    # bandwidth
    #Hellanzb.MAX_RATE = 150 # limit to 150kB/s
    Other than this i am now going to go and play with it and see what happens.
    Thank you soo much with helping me set this up!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast