Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless woes: What must I do to go native?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wireless woes: What must I do to go native?

Recently, after a system reinstall, I went through the proscribed rigamarole to coax my Broadcom wireless into playing with Ubuntu, and I found it no longer worked. I really wasn't that disappointed; jury-rigging Window$ drivers with ndiswrapper blows anyway.

So, I got a cute little usb wireless nub (with a RealTek chipset, and believe me, I've scoured this forum and the rest of the 'Net about it over the last couple of days merely to get as far as I did.) that was advertised to work natively with Linux. I scrounged 64 bit drivers from the 'Net, which I eventually got to compile, which didn't do anything. I compiled the drivers included on the disk, and now my laptop locks immediately (complete with flashing CAPS LOCK light) upon insertion of the antenna.

Getting desperate and reckless, I bought a Netgear WN111 from Radio Shack, which turns out needs ndiswrapper too. A waste of time, but at least I can return it.

So anyway, please assist. What must I buy/do to be able to merge onto public hotspots as a completely Micro$oft-free Linux native?
    When Ubuntu moves into The Cloud, I'll be moving out of Ubuntu. The Cloud means loss of control, and control is why I switched to Linux in the first place.

Beans

Re: Wireless woes: What must I do to go native?

First undo what you have done...

The RealTek RTL8187L is very linux friendly and can be had pretty cheap about $20 on eBay. Search for either Gsky or ALFA, the ALFA is well respected and the Gsky is a little cheaper. They both use the RealTek RTL8187L chipset.
    Not the 1000mw version which uses a different chipset and is NOT twice as strong.

I see a Gsky ending in 9 minutes for $14 and Free Shipping.

alfa 500mw usb eBay search
    Gsky 500mw usb eBay search
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Out of the box, Ubuntu 9.10, 32-bit, I have had great luck with Belkin USB F5D7050 and Netgear PCI WPN311(a recent purchase for $14 on ebay with atheros chipset). There is a version (chipset) of the Belkin USB which is reported to not work with the linux native drivers. However, I purchased 4 of them over time, and all worked out of the box on 3 different computers. I am currently awaiting the arrival of 2 more WPN311s.

My philosophy, use hardware with native support and avoid the complications. Althoh, a guy chili555 on this forum provides endless support to those who want to retain and use their hardware which does not have native drivers. When/If you purchase natively driven hardware(works out of the box), please post back and spread the word.

mark
    Last edited by mark bower; April 11th, 2010 at 01:42 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mark bower View Post
    Out of the box, Ubuntu 9.10, 32-bit, I have had great luck with Belkin USB F5D7050 and Netgear PCI WPN311(a recent purchase for $14 on ebay with atheros chipset). There is a version (chipset) of the Belkin USB which is reported to not work with the linux native drivers. However, I purchased 4 of them over time, and all worked out of the box on 3 different computers. I am currently awaiting the arrival of 2 more WPN311s.

My philosophy, use hardware with native support and avoid the complications. Althoh, a guy chili555 on this forum provides endless support to those who want to retain and use their hardware which does not have native drivers. When/If you purchase natively driven hardware(works out of the box), please post back and spread the word.

mark
    I have a Belkin USB F5D7053v4001 and got it to work to following a RaLink guide here in the forum, I also have a Gsky that was plug and play along with a noname RTL8187B adapter a AR5001, ar5009 and a dwl520+. chilli555 does contribute a lot on wireless and really knows his beans.

All but the Belkin worked out of the box.
    Last edited by 2hot6ft2; April 11th, 2010 at 01:55 AM.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Why, thank you , guys, for your kind comments. I will be glad to help you, Krovas. Do you still have your Realtek?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
    This one just works, no drivers to fiddle with.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I appreciate the feedback, I just everybody to keep in mind that I'm running x64 here, which seems to complicate things sometimes.

@ chili555: Yes, I still have the little bugger. I'm also operating a fresh install, so I'm at a zero state. If you could assist me installing drivers, I'd muchly appreciate it.
    When Ubuntu moves into The Cloud, I'll be moving out of Ubuntu. The Cloud means loss of control, and control is why I switched to Linux in the first place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Alrighty then! Let's identify which Realtek you have. Please insert the device and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Meanwhile, I have a postit on my screen: x64!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Alrighty then! Let's identify which Realtek you have. Please insert the device and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Meanwhile, I have a postit on my screen: x64!
    Thank you for getting back to me.

lsusb:

Code:
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:8171 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 045e:0023 Microsoft Corp. Trackball Optical
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04e8:323a Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd ML-1710 Printer
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04a9:1709 Canon, Inc. 
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 056a:0011 Wacom Co., Ltd Graphire 2
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0451:2046 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2046 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Last edited by Krovas; April 15th, 2010 at 03:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

This chipset is new enough that there is, as far as I can find no sure-fire way to get it going for a 64-bit system. We are breaking ground here!

Your usb.id 0bda:8171 confirms that it's a Realtek 8192SU chipset. The driver r8192s_usb is built-in, however, it doesn't recognize your exact device ID. There are several reports of adding the ID to the system to get the built-in to work. All of them involve re-compiling the kernel. As fun as that might be, it's going to be a bright sunshiny day here, and we'd both like to get out and enjoy it, so let's try a quicker method.

Please remove the device, open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/network_drivers.rules
    The text editor gedit will open ready for you to write a new file. Add one long line:
    Code:
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bda", ATTR{idProduct}=="8171", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -qba r8192s_usb"
    Proofread carefully. Save and close gedit. Now do:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/network_drivers.conf
    Add one long line:
    Code:
    install r8192s_usb /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install r8192s_usb $CMDLINE_OPTS; /bin/echo "0bda 8171" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/r8192s/new_id
    Proofread, save and close gedit. Re-insert the device. Any signs of life?

As I said, this is a bit experimental; we may have to tweak a bit. We also have a non-ndiswrapper Plan B.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast