Thread: how can i make cpu freq changing effect all processors?

Beans

how can i make cpu freq changing effect all processors?

i recently purchased an i7 laptop and really don't want 8 cores on my bar. i remember there being a file that controlled this but i believe it wasn't writeable.

Beans

Re: how can i make cpu freq changing effect all processors?

If you're referring to the GNOME panel applet, I think it changes the speed of all the cores by default. Not sure what text file you're talking about but if it won't let you edit the file its probably owned by root, in which case you'd need to use the sudo command to edit it.

Code:
    sudo gedit
    That for example would open Gedit with root permissions. Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Actually, you have to go to each core individually (core0 - core3 for a 4x) and set the scaling for each if you are using the panel applet. You should be able to move between processors using only a single panel applet.

If you are concerned about the number shown on the process manager, hunt around for the preferences (sorry, not at my machine) and you can have it display a single composite.

Not sure exactly how that will work with the i7's dual threading (which makes the 4 look like 8 )
    Last edited by QIII; April 22nd, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

that changed by default a long time ago. that or you have changed your applet to not just display cpu0 over and over. the file sat under /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq but seems to be gone now. when i said the file wasn't writable i meant root couldn't write to it either, obviously.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Likely a file in /etc/init.d now.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.