Thread: Ubuntu Live on USB HDD

Beans

Ubuntu Live on USB HDD

Hi everybody,

Hope this is helpful for some & would provide some help to me as well.

I've a very fascinating Ubuntu Live setup with almost everything I need, but with some minor problems as well, for which I need some help.

Setup Details:

I've installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a 320GB USB Harddisk through "create startup disk" option, & added Ubuntu Studio to it.
    Initial setup is on a 4GB fat32 partition, then I've created a 26GB ext3 partition & named it "casper-rw", deleting the original "casper-rw" file located in the fat32 partition. Thus I am now able to add as many programs & other data to my setup as I wish! Rest of the harddisk consists of 3 NTFS partitions used for storage.

Benefits:
    The coolest thing is that now I can boot any computer which can boot from USB, regardless of its hardware configuration, & get all my programs, settings, etc. right then & there working flawlessly as if they were installed locally.
    All I've to carry is that tiny harddisk with me that contains all my data along with a capable operating system (i.e. Ubuntu Studio Live)
    After booting I can do almost everything (perhaps more) that I earlier used to do on window$.
    Another cool thing is that I don't have to worry about any viruses that may pre-exist on the PC I'm booting, since window$ viruses don't work on linux

All of this combined with loads of jaw-dropping eye-candy that comes bundled with Ubuntu Studio & Compiz !!

Problem:
    Now the problem.... only one of a few in this thread.
    I need to backup all my installed packages through aptoncd. But after listing them, aptoncd fails to create iso giving message that "there's not enough free space on either /tmp or the <destination folder>"

I need to increase the size of /tmp folder permanently to avoid such failures in future.
    How can I do this?

Output of df -h is given below:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    aufs 26G 5.3G 20G 22% /
    udev 1001M 284K 1001M 1% /dev
    /dev/sdb1 4.1G 1.9G 2.3G 46% /cdrom
    /dev/loop0 668M 668M 0 100% /rofs
    none 1001M 384K 1001M 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 1001M 16K 1001M 1% /tmp
    none 1001M 364K 1001M 1% /var/run
    none 1001M 0 1001M 0% /var/lock
    none 1001M 0 1001M 0% /lib/init/rw
    /dev/sdb7 50G 46G 4.6G 91% /media/fag3
    /dev/sdb2 26G 5.3G 20G 22% /media/casper-rw
    /dev/sdb5 163G 157G 6.0G 97% /media/fag4
    /dev/sdb6 56G 55G 1.4G 98% /media/fagsafe
    Also, it'll be of great help if someone can direct me to some link where I can get tips for "how to get command over Frugal/Live Session setups"

-Varun
    Last edited by varunendra; April 27th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Live on USB HDD

Anybody home ???????
    Plz hel....p..... !!!

Beans

Wow !
    I didn't know my question was so stupid that no one even bothered to reply, let alone providing a solution !!
    Anyway, I'm still waiting....... (shall try workarounds myself after complete disappointment)

Beans

I'm wai.........ting...!!

Beans