Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Am a Jaunty user refusing to move on!

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: Am a Jaunty user refusing to move on!

Stay with what you're happy with until you absolutely have to change up.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Am a Jaunty user refusing to move on!

I'm currently on standby for playing "musical partitions". At the moment I'm running a triple-boot (Vista, Jaunty & a fully updated Lucid beta1), and for once I can use sound on skype without mucking around. The jury is still out on a couple of changes, but going by what I've seen in the forums, this doesn't have to be anything worse than a minor annoyance.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am still using Hardy as my main OS and will probably upgrade it direct to Lucid in about 6 months when Lucid is more stabile. I had Intrepid on a separate partition for a while and then Jaunty and Karmic. I used Jaunty the most of all of those so I can see the OPs point but it will be a more difficult upgrade from Jaunty to whatever than from LTS to LTS where there is a direct upgrade path.

Jaunty will only be supported for another 6 months so that is another consideration. A lot of people get caught out when the release they are using loses support and then loses its upgrade path when the next release loses support 6 months later (unless it is an LTS).

This happened to a lot of Feisty Fawn users. They could not upgrade because the Gutsty Gibbon repository was removed 6 months after Feisty's. This will happen to Intrepid users in 6 months and Jaunty users in a year. You may still be able to upgrade using legacy repositories that are privately maintained by some kind souls but it will not be an easy thing to do if you wait too long.

You will have to move on eventually so keep that in mind.

One thing about using newer releases was that it kept me aware of the many drastic changes since Hardy so I will know what is going on when I finally move on. If you have the room on your machine (15GB or so free) I definitely reccomend installing newer releases on a separate partition or two to fool around with, you will learn a lot of new stuff and not feel so lost when you try to jump three or four releases.

My 2 cents....
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I upgraded to Karmic, i am a little disapointed, but i'm pretty good.
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I loooooooove jaunty. but i need to what do they call it.. format.. the hard drive beause it's got so many empty partitions not doing anything but not editable that what should be 500 available GB is now 100. I was the uber-noob. Now I'm just a super-noob so that won't be happening again.

I'll swap to Lucid this summer.
    Last edited by RabbitWho; April 22nd, 2010 at 11:10 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234