Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 3886

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: The First Day....

Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller2 View Post
    What do you mean by that? Where is the "K." I've installed Ubuntu, haven't chosen the Kubuntu distro.
    K is featured prominently in Kubuntu in the left bottom corner

Quote Originally Posted by sluxuer View Post
    hey masta?
    nice to meet you, looks like you are from the Indonesia country..
    really?
    no, but that is the Indonesian football team uniform on the penguin.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Red face Ricardo Saraiva

Hello everyone!

I'm Ricardo Saraiva, a software developer from Lisboa, Portugal.
    I used to be a home user of Windows, but finally I've made the decision to turn into Linux.
    Currently I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 on my HP Pavilion notebook (1GB of memory / nVidia 128MB of shared memory) and I'm very happy with the performace.

But guess what?! I'm felling soooo noob with this brand new world. So, I'll be a great user of this forum! I hope you can help me out there!

If you want to know more about me:
    LinkedIn
    Facebook

Best regards,
    --
    R. Saraiva

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

i am a longtime user (and abuser) of Windows(98, 2000, XP, Vista and 7) and have come to know the command prompt and the good ole .bat files, like a brother knows a sister. i was introduced to linuxs about a year ago on a simple google search of "free operating systems" because i was tired of microsofts stupid shananagins and such, so i found Ubuntu 10.04 to my liking, tried it and when i noticed there was an even more updated one out, i format/installed 12.04.1 on my old hp laptop, and many others along the way, till i came to my most recent edventure with my Toshiba Satellite c655-s5200 (3 gig ram, amd64, 280 gig hdd) and my Dell Inspiron 531 (2 gig ram, amd64 2.4ghz, 500 gig hdd) both originally running Win7 until i installed ubuntu (does not want to work on Dell) and have been obliterated by the amazing speed and agility of ubuntu 12.04.2 precise pangolin ever since. i am on the Forums often and try to help out as much as possible. i know plenty of reinstalling and hardware issues along with some command line, lots of software programming and editing. thanks to squakie, CharlesA, oldfred, lisati, and many others who have helped me in my quests.
    ~Gerrman~

Beans

Cool Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hello to those who are out and about on the net.
    I use Ubuntu in a different sense to lots of people, probably the majority of Ubuntuists. I run on PuppyLinux based on Ubuntu Lucid. There's also a newer one, based on Precise, but, don't know why, it just didn't manage to drag me off the Lucid version. In fact I do have an idea that it's because I had such a hassle to install Openbox on it, that I gave up, and I'm still on Lucid. It's solid, stable, versatile, and I'm used to it.
    Lucid Pup starts life as a complete OS that takes up only a bit more than 100mb's. After you have the beast you can install as many additional logiciels as you like/need. as long as you make your save file big enough as time and programs pass. I was looking for an OS that was very versatile, but I had problems with Arch, so I found Puppy, and stayed with it. Although there are Pups based on other systems (Slackware, Deb, etc) I fell for Ubuntu based ones. However I'm SLOWLY making a home server, and as there is now an ArchPup I may use that for the server. It is taking rather a long time (I bought the HDD's before the price rise due to the Thailand catastrophes, which gives you an idea!).
    One of my other interests is in Electronic Cigarettes. 9 months ago, after 45 years on 1-3 packs a day I switched, without any hassle in the least, to ECigs, and since that I've smoked at the most, half a dozen fags. It's not perfect, but it is at least 99% less dangerous than smoking. If anyone's interested I'll write a bit more about it later.
    Apart from that, I'm English, expatriated to S France, in a tiny village, at the end of a dead end road, lost in the mountains. It's very calm; and extremely beautiful. I think I'll end my days here, and end this intro, as well.
    Happy informatics to all and one

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Nice to meet you, starlyte2.

Beans

Hi everyone!

I'm a long time Mac person from the Dallas area, and I just recently made the switch over to Ubuntu this year. I picked me up a dell vostro notebook loaded with Ubuntu per-installed and haven't put the machine down yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by John05710 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm a long time Mac person from the Dallas area, and I just recently made the switch over to Ubuntu this year. I picked me up a dell vostro notebook loaded with Ubuntu per-installed and haven't put the machine down yet.
    Hi John - A very big welcome to you from all in the forums -

It must be like Christmas all over again for you.

I trust you have had a good look around and are rarin to go - you will find all here to be very friendly and helpful.

Then there is the Cafe to get involved with too. - I trust you enjoy a very long stay with us.

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi all,

I'm a new Ubuntu user but I'm picking things up quickly thanks to all the help in this forum.

My girlfriend has a habit of clicking "yes" / "ok" / "install virus" without reading what she's agreeing to so I'm planning on setting her up too when I know enough to answer all the likely questions

Feathers McGraw

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    Hi John - A very big welcome to you from all in the forums -

It must be like Christmas all over again for you.

I trust you have had a good look around and are rarin to go - you will find all here to be very friendly and helpful.

Then there is the Cafe to get involved with too. - I trust you enjoy a very long stay with us.

Cheers -
    Thanks for the warm welcome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a new Ubuntu user but I'm picking things up quickly thanks to all the help in this forum.

My girlfriend has a habit of clicking "yes" / "ok" / "install virus" without reading what she's agreeing to so I'm planning on setting her up too when I know enough to answer all the likely questions

Feathers McGraw
    Hi Feathers,

You've already found out that you're in the right place to add to your knowledge about 'buntu.

A very big welcome to you and I trust your association with the forums is a long and happy one.

Pass along all your knowledge to your girlfriend and most of all - have fun...

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Page 197 of 389 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast