Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installed Ubuntu now I'm bored...

Beans

Installed Ubuntu now I'm bored...

I installed Ubuntu on my Dell yesterday and can now dual boot. The problem: Ubuntu is so stable and quiet I don't know what to do with it. With Windows I was always opening task manager and quitting misbehaving apps. The fan doesn't whir constantly and I don't have to wait for web pages to load. Now I just stare at the Bionic Beaver and wait for inspiration. I'm happy... and sort of sad at the same time!

Beans

Re: Installed Ubuntu now I'm bored...

You didn't say what model of dell.

My last dell was a m6800 and the touchpad of all things was a pain to get tweaked out. I installed Gnome (not ubuntu-gnome) on it (its in our software sources).

Beans

Could always install 'Suicide Linux' and learn not to make typos on command line, but I am thinking you are not that bored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by tuebinger90 View Post
    The problem: Ubuntu is so stable and quiet I don't know what to do with it.
    Now I just stare at the Bionic Beaver and wait for inspiration. I'm happy... and sort of sad at the same time!
    I can relate as Ubuntu 18.04 installs OOTB on every computer I use so you have to start looking up things of interest or at least that's what I do.

I did my first UEFI Ubuntu 18.04 install so I've been looking up UEFI / EFI stuff I know absolutely nothing about although now trying to learn about it.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

I'm guessing this is tongue in cheek. I have just setup a new desktop system. I installed Ubuntu for the first time. I am really impressed with this operating system and all the extra features. No dual boot for me. Good bye and good riddance to Windows forever!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I've been using Linux since early 2014 and it has always worked well for what I use a computer for.

I've got nothing against Windows 10 although I find I have no use for Windows 10 since Linux works for me.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I've been using Linux since early 2014 and it has always worked well for what I use a computer for.

I've got nothing against Windows 10 although I find I have no use for Windows 10 since Linux works for me.
    My first computer was an 80/86 , 40mb HDD , floppy drive , 1200bps modem 384k memory with 784k ext memory and Dos 1.0 Im not a programmer but I learned dos from the ground up . I remember when you had to open windows from the c:\ prompt .... I felt so 3l1t3 when I learned how to include windows in the autoexec.bat file hahaha good ol days .

but I have forgotten a TON of things since I started using linux in 2010 . havent owned a windows machine since . heck ive forgotten a ton of linux stuff since then . That was about the end of needing to compile packages before most everything came pre assembled . Remember " Check to make executable " haha

Linux has come along way and ive used alot of distros . Now I run Ubuntu Studio 19.10 . Great OS has all the multimedia codecs and apps I want pre installed.

I recently was asked to fix a windows 10 computer . First time I'd had to mess with windows in YEAAARRRS .

After messing around with it I told the guy " Hey man I can show you how to fix it if you want . just type cmd in the run box . when you get to the C:\ prompt just type in del *.* /a /s and when it asks you if you are sure type y then enter " hahahaha

he actually went to do it and I stopped him and said i was only kidding hehe . then fixed his issue . But man windows is totally borked from the last distro I used . looked a mess to my eyes .

My Ubuntu studio desktop and launcher looked so clean compared to that mess of an OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by tuebinger90 View Post
    ...The problem: Ubuntu is so stable and quiet ...
    That sure is a nice problem to have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, Ubuntu is boringly reliable, live with it or try new things.

I installed Virtualbox and do most of the work in virtual machines (VM) also for Windows XP, 7 and 10. Try other distros in VMs. I use ZFS as file-system and as storage for VMs. Experience the instantaneous responses, because the VM runs completely from memory cache. Tune ZFS, use compression for everything etc.
    I do it on my Ryzen 3 2200G desktop (16 GB, SSD and 3 different old HDDs) and my i5-2520M laptop (8 GB with a SSHD).

Beans
    Hidden!

I can also relate to this in a big way.

Just for some excitement I recently tried Arch, though the simple way using Arcolinux instead of the rather long, drawn out method using Arch itself.
    It was reasonably successful but I preferred the boring way that everything in Xubuntu does exactly what I tell it to (perhaps because I'm now completely confident with all that I need to do) whereas Arcolinux makes some things very much more difficult, eg installing Libreoffice took a long time for me to figure out that you have to use a script from the German Arcolinux site.

Boring it might be, but my Xubuntu just works out of the box for me, is just as quick or quicker than anything I've tried over my 14 years of *ubuntu use, and does not lead me through hoops to get anything done.

Bored? Maybe but I can work with this system and don't need to try hard any more; it just works for me!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast