Page 43 of 343 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Back after a while. Originally installed 6.04 on my Pismo. When that machine finally died, I didn't have another machine around to play with.

Just got a Mac Pro and, after installing 10.10 on my G5 and finding PPC Linux support still sadly hit and miss, I'm running 10.10 inside VirtualBox on my Mac Pro, more out of curiosity than anything else. Have a friend who's an enthusiastic Linux user and had to see what he's always going on about. . .

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hello people,
    I am new here in this forum. An indonesian but currently studying in Singapore. Have been using Maverick for only about 2 weeks. So far my experience have been amazing! My netbook was not quite strong enough to run windows 7 proper but with ubuntu, i really get what i want from it. And oh yeah, I kinda like the idea of FOSS.

Nice to be here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi every one
    I am Fatharrahman Tijany
    am an alphabetical Ubuntu newbie
    only heard about Linux 2 months ago and only tried Ubuntu one month ago, what a mess, I keep ask myself where I was, in Mars?
    not so far?
    ok that's true
    silly ID! I know that but it is the truth
    This is an amazing thread I reached it only now,
    I am very ready to go on learning Ubuntu and Linux
    very very busy working as a doctor in a hospital with many exams in the near future and a full time of work but still ready to pay any available moment to Ubuntu
    thank you very much for this chance
    Your's sincerely
    FT
    Computer is not a device anymore. It is an extension of your mind and your gateway to other people
    Teach Ubuntu as a newbie Join
    O'Reilly's CD bookshelf Ubuntu 11.04 =D>

Beans

Hey all how's it goin
    So I had a hell of a last couple days - installed Mint wubi,, liked it, installed ubuntu wubi, liked it more, crashed my bootmgr, spent a day figuring out how to create a bootable USB drive (I'm on a netbook) for the windows 7 recovery disk ISO I downloaded, fixed windows, partitioned it, ran Ubuntu 10.10 off my usb stick, realized partitioning wasn't the best way to install 10.10, unpartitioned it, installed ubuntu 10.10 to it's own partition, and here I am
    Got a lot of help as a lurker from this forum, so decided to join.
    Lookin forward to chillin here a little bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hello everyone name's Richard (as you may have guessed ) I started runing Ubuntu 10.04 in July, as Windows XP on my laptop just, well, died i guess I couldn't at all get into Windows, so I thought it a good idea to run Linux as a temporary alternative. I tried a Knoppix CD, but for one reason or another, it wouldn't work. I downloaded and burned Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD on a friend's computer, and installed it to my own. As I was dual-booting with Windows, I had very little hard drive space after the install (around 8.0GB). After a while, and after getting more comfortable with Ubuntu, I took a bold move and wiped my hard drive of Windows, and did a fresh Ubuntu install (Gasp!). I was a bit nervous at first, but I really can say I have no regrets, I enjoy using Ubuntu far more than I did Windows. I have only recently joined the forums, previously just relying on Google to troubleshoot All in all, I can say I definitely won't be moving back to Windows any time soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Oh, hi. Didn't notice this thread before. So my name's Filip, and I live in the Galaxy of Milky Way, on the planet called Earth. I like pokemon games, computer science and x-files.

I installed Ubuntu not long ago, that is when I bought my netbook. The Windows 7 Starter that was installed there just wasn't worth it. I also like the idea of free software very much - in fact, I just started a project to create a free, open mon game. You can see it @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1635084 - I'm currently looking for people to collaborate with.

I also have two cats. Minor detail that can go efsjdnbgi4t3wetg34% on my keyboard if not watched.

And that's all about me.

Beans

REcent convert to Ubuntu

Hi all.
    I've been a Fedora user and changed about 4 months ago to Ubuntu 10.4 and now 10.10.
    I love it it's a great OS.

I note there was a post about using a HP Scanjet 3500 C with Ubuntu.
    I've not had trouble with mine until a few days ago when Ubuntu updated it'self now both Xsane and SimpleScan fail.

I have a Ubuntu 10.10 that has not been updated in the last week and has no problems using this scanner.

Has anyone noticed problems since the last updates?

Thanks to all
    Regards
    Arelem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hey all,

Returning to Ubuntu after a 2 year absence. The reason for returning (and leaving) was mostly down to my job. I was based primarily in a windows environment so no linux skill was necessary. Still had my linux desktop at home but once that died I never really bothered to fix it!

new job role entails using linux daily doing bits and bobs and such, so i'm trying to re-learn everything again from scratch which makes it that much more exciting for me personally.

into anything technical really, sports, gaming, I enjoy a bit of sci-fi and just generally chilling out and learning things along the way

laters!
    Last edited by amerdan; December 5th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.

Beans

hello! :d I'm new here and a bit confused. I've been a linux user for 10 minutes now and I don't know what to do next. I mean... I want to learn how to use this OS and to know shat makes it so special. The problem is that I don't know where to start. Hope you guys can give some starting points or advice. Advice for dumb people like me should be sth like this: "go to website X and start from there" where X is a link, obviously.

Beans

Hey people. This is my story.

I've been a user of Macs during the Mac Os 8 period, then switched to Windows. I remember trying a Linux distribution (I think Ubuntu) in early 2005, and boy did I hated it. Couldn't understand the GUI, the software library was almost inexistent, and barely no driver support. I formatted the drive saying to myself that Linux is for the people that wants to make their computer experience more flexible but more complicated. A bit like trying to build your own car instead of buying one already built with a warranty (metaphor for support).

Last month, I had to format a USB stick drive in ext2 for my router to be able to install dd-wrt. So I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my notebook solely for this. The installation finished without asking me for a driver. Interesting. Software center? Let's see, Chromium, Firefox, Gimp, OpenOffice, Sipie for my Sirius, Picasa, Filezilla, MSN.. nice. I decided to give it a try on my desktop.

The install went smooth, but expected some driver issues. I ended with one peripheral without a driver. But Ubuntu now has something called 'community documentation', and boy is that a gold mine. With their step-by-step procedures, I was able to set-up my Broadcom network card. And every questions that I had afterwards were easily solved in the 'Absolute Beginner talk' section of the forums. 'sudo' anyone?

And the best part... how much memory does that thing use on idle.. 5.3% My Vista uses 34%. What's not to love.

Astonishing is probably the word to use to describe the amazing work that has been made in the last 5 years. Not just on the system, but the whole community surrounding it with support and a great software library. It is now my primary OS on my desktop, and gave a new birth to the VERY slow notebook that my mother has (512MB RAM with Windows XP). She doesn't like the idea of changing the computer that she is using for over 7 years, but since she's only using it for internet and msn, and that Firefox looks the same, I hope she will take the Ubuntu plunge. I think it became that easy to use.. unless you play with that terminal.

Last edited by JP3G; December 6th, 2010 at 06:12 AM.

Page 43 of 343 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast