Page 374 of 375 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375 LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 3749

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Hello all newbie here!

Greetings everybody!

I am brand new to Linux, to Ubuntu and to this forum. This si my first post so,

Hello all!

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

I am new to Ubuntu and this forum, though I have used Linux Mint since its version 19.1.

I was curious about the improvements in 20.04, so I installed it to an external hard drive just to play around with it. So far, so good. I noticed immediately that Ubuntu 20.04 automatically picked up the scanner side of my Canon TS3322 MFP, where I had been struggling with it on Linux Mint for months.

Here's why it works on Ubuntu 20.04 by the way:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Scan-SANE-Work

And a forum member over on the Linux Mint forum showed me how to get AirScan working on LM 19.3.

Still playing around, and haven't yet figured out if I want to make Ubuntu 20.04 my daily driver after release (which of course is scheduled for Thursday). I may just stay with LM and take the 20.04-based LM 20 upgrade in a few months.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello and welcome to the forum inundated.

Beans

After the war on Windows 10, I firmly decided to switch to Linux about six months ago. The choice fell on Ubuntu 04/16. LTS (these are Linux versions that have been supported for five years). Put it down.
    Honestly, this is a great joy!

Beans

Hello, New User Here.

Hello fellow comrades, I am generally new to Linux, as I have only used it since last December, and wanted to take a chance to greet the forums. I'm 20 years old from the island of Trinidad and Tobago. Though I may not have much in terms of my background in computer science or the IT sectors, I do wish to learn more about the systems set in place in Linux and in Ubuntu in particular. Thanks for reading my first post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Hello, New User Here.

Welcome

Please notice that this is a user forum. It is not a programmer or developer forum. We are all like you. We have varied experience and we share what we know. You will learn a lot from following the discussions on this forum. See if you can identify what solves a problem and then make a note of it for reference. That is how I started.

I do not come from a background in computer science or the IT sectors either. I am from the East end of London. I have several friends from the West Indies. First generation and second and third generation. Yes, I am that old.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Hello, New User Here.

Hello and welcome to the forum jared-plus.

Threads merged with Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here thread.

Beans

Cool New Forum Member Introduction

Well -- this looks like the correct forum for these sort of things. New forum user introductions appear to be a thing of the past but important for community building, in my opinion.

• I'm 50;
    • Worked in data entry and finance as a payments manager for a large corporation for nearly 30 years;
    • In my spare time I study martial arts (although my wife would say it's been my life), Chito-Ryu Karate, Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Mi Jong Law Horn Kung-Fu, and Yang style Tai Chi;
    • I consider myself a Taoist or Zen Buddhist (woah, that's a range) - lets just say, I believe firmly in peace (contradiction of my martial training, eh? -- oh, I'm Canadian too).
    • Recently stepped down to start relaxing before retirement, now working with what has always been a hobby of mine - computers, manager of Information, Data Management, and Technology;
    • Was heavy into the IRC scene many, MANY, years ago under the same nick, as well as Grapes, Grapez, and Annihilati0n -- just incase some remember (you never know, the internet is HUGE but the world is small).
    • Got heavy into computers with dialup bulletin boards and was a Telegard BBS Alpha tester.

As far as Ubuntu goes - I've toyed on an off with it for years and always ended up deleting it / removing it / going back to Windows. Now, I'm running it on all my personal computers with the exception of my kids' laptops which still runs Windows as I couldn't, for the life of me, get Roblox to work! (heaven forbid!).

So, what brings me here? I've got an issue with Apache and was looking for answers but - figured I'd start off with an introduction before digging into the unknown.

...Peace!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: New Forum Member Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by annihil2 View Post
    Well -- this looks like the correct forum for these sort of things. New forum user introductions appear to be a thing of the past but important for community building, in my opinion.

• I'm 50;
    • Worked in data entry and finance as a payments manager for a large corporation for nearly 30 years;
    • In my spare time I study martial arts (although my wife would say it's been my life), Chito-Ryu Karate, Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Mi Jong Law Horn Kung-Fu, and Yang style Tai Chi;
    • I consider myself a Taoist or Zen Buddhist (woah, that's a range) - lets just say, I believe firmly in peace (contradiction of my martial training, eh? -- oh, I'm Canadian too).
    • Recently stepped down to start relaxing before retirement, now working with what has always been a hobby of mine - computers, manager of Information, Data Management, and Technology;
    • Was heavy into the IRC scene many, MANY, years ago under the same nick, as well as Grapes, Grapez, and Annihilati0n -- just incase some remember (you never know, the internet is HUGE but the world is small).
    • Got heavy into computers with dialup bulletin boards and was a Telegard BBS Alpha tester.

As far as Ubuntu goes - I've toyed on an off with it for years and always ended up deleting it / removing it / going back to Windows. Now, I'm running it on all my personal computers with the exception of my kids' laptops which still runs Windows as I couldn't, for the life of me, get Roblox to work! (heaven forbid!).

So, what brings me here? I've got an issue with Apache and was looking for answers but - figured I'd start off with an introduction before digging into the unknown.

...Peace!
    Moved to the Welcome to the Forums thread.

Welcome to the forums, annihil2.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi everybody

Not entirely new to this forum, but I can't remember for the life of me which e-mail address I originally used. I probably don't have it anymore; it's been a while since I came across a problem I couldn't fix with a little search-fu. I have been using Ubuntu since Feisty and had to smile when I realized that it went 'round the alphabet by now.

I'm currently running Focal on both desktop and laptop, but I'm still waiting to upgrade my home server and my VPS, both still on Bionic. For my home server, I'm waiting for the first point release, and my VPS doesn't offer 20.04 yet - they're probably also waiting for the first point release

I'm actually looking forward to coming back and hopefully helping out a little, too.

Page 374 of 375 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375 LastLast