Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 3319

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Welcome -- Hello --

Quote Originally Posted by eckifolki View Post
    Hi, why not saying hello to everyone I am eckifolki from the nice capital of BW/Germany: Stuttgart. I am male, 60 years old since march14th. As a kind of newbie I have been trying Ubuntu (and other distries) since 2008. Meanwhile been back to windows. Since some weeks I have an internet encounter with a real it-man, who helps me with some items. So now my PC and the two netbooks are running on ubuntu (12.04, one on 13.04). I can do totally without the windows-OS. The most interesting in the moment is, what I heard a Linux Smartphone will be developed on crowd funding. Thats great!!

Mostly I will be using the german forum ubuntuusers, sometimes this forum too. (No perfekt English, You see).

I embrace You
    Hi eckifolki,

A big welcome to you on behalf of all in the forums.

As this is an English speaking Forum, you probably would be best to use it to hone your language skills.

That's not to say you can't send a member a PM (Private Message) in German of course.

It is good to see you already are well into using Ubuntu.

I trust you will be with us for many years.

Cheers and good luck -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Welcome eckifolki.
    My English is not perfect either, but code is code ^^
    Enjoy the forums
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Welcome eckifolki.
    My English is not perfect either, but code is code ^^
    Enjoy the forums
    Awesome to see the bee on the forum once again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks s.fox (more than I could ever say) and not found
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've also been... away. But now I'm not.

Tried Arch. It's nice, but the AUR builds are... inconsistent. Tried Gentoo. It's not as hard as some make it out to be... once it's installed. But it's like one of those old sports cars that needs 90 minutes in the garage for every hour spent on the road. I spent more time emerging and tweaking than actual anything else.

So since GNOME 2.x has departed since I was here last, it's Xubuntu for me now. Making the hipsters at Starbucks think I'm running OSX untill they see the cover and see Acer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Welcome back darkaudit
    J'aime les fraises.

Beans

Post Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Lets see... After only 40+ years of computer experience I had to have my daughter get me logged back into Ubuntu forums! LOL

I really did start Linux with Slackware 0.97. I do consider Unbuntu to be a bit of a step up from that!

Run Linux on 4 machines, Unix on one, and Amigados on 3 others (they are really not in use currently though).

I'm still trying to get comforatable with Unity. I really miss KDE-3! Mint is OK but certainly not as well supported as Ubuntu.

I have spent a lot of time over the years installing and helping others with Linux installations. More Debian than any other. My daughter used to call the house and ask for the "help desk" meaning me! LOL Now about half the time, it's me asking her for help! She does about the best google searches of anyone I've ever known!

I've really been "out of the loop" for the last few year though. I haven't compiled a kernel in probably 2 years at least and haven't done alpha/beta testing in many years more. Course I don't have the spectacular crashes that used to show up either! LOL

Of course, like a great many others, I'm trying to learn something about the strange and esoteric world of Android. Not doing very well on that one!

I guess I should mention that I am also a not very active ham radio operator.

And finally, I'm about the most committted anti-MicroSloth bigot that you are likely ever to meet.
    Last edited by Bill Leach; August 3rd, 2013 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Bill,

A big welcome to you from all in the Forums - with your experience you will be a big asset here.

With your 40+ years experience you sure have it over me at less than 5 lol -

Now that you have decided to get back into it, I trust you will be with us for many years.

I assume your daughter is also a member here - it's good too have family share your interests isn't it?

Cheers and best wishes to you -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi BlinkinCat,

I am Bill's daughter. He's the one who started me in Linux and is therefor ultimately responsible for all of the goofy questions I have asked over the years. (That's happens-- I was in Texas, he was in Idaho and was working long hours and couldn't help me through the strange new world of Linux. Thankfully, the wonderful Ubuntu Community was here!)
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - That principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Beans

Thanks for the welcome message. I actually joined somewhere around 2 years ago but never really got involved (I see we both joined in the same month and year!). I hope you have been more active than I was! LOL

Depending upon the depth of your involvement, 5 years is plenty. So much changes so fast that 40 year old knowledge is often not too useful. Indeed, Linux is an almost entirely different beast than it was when I first got involved. Some of that "old" knowledge has permitted me to make a few really bad blunders!

Yes, it is great that my daughter "took to Linux". Almost lost her though when KDE pulled what I think is the greatest blunder that any development organization can make... when they released KDE4. Heck, even I abandoned KDE. Though I now have one machine that recently started using it again.

One of the really neat things about having another "computer type" in the family is that she knows windows a whole lot better than I do so, when an issue comes up related to windows she can generally find the right answer.

We are both working on her oldest brother and one of his sons. Have them both running linux at least part time. Actually they have a dual boot desktop but both of their notebooks are linux ONLY! YEAH!

I do hope that work and other pressing matters will still permit me to get more involved. So looking forward to chatting and maybe working with you and the rest of the community.

Page 219 of 332 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229269319 ... LastLast