Page 215 of 389 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225265315 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,150 of 3890

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi everybody,
    My name is Monica and I love math. I used to have Ubuntu (12.04) on a laptop at home but then I went to college and they wouldn't let me take it with me, so I got my own and after a year have finally gotten around to installing Linux again (still 12.04). I'm also my family's tech support, which is sort of terrifying for my family, only they don't know it. My sister still has Ubuntu on the old laptop at home and after trying to talk her through a terminal-only installation over the phone while googling everything myself, I decided to actually become good at Linux. (Today I couldn't figure out how to accept a EULA in terminal, but someone helped me out in under ten minutes. I really love you people.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MissMonicaE View Post
    Hi everybody,
    My name is Monica and I love math. I used to have Ubuntu (12.04) on a laptop at home but then I went to college and they wouldn't let me take it with me, so I got my own and after a year have finally gotten around to installing Linux again (still 12.04). I'm also my family's tech support, which is sort of terrifying for my family, only they don't know it. My sister still has Ubuntu on the old laptop at home and after trying to talk her through a terminal-only installation over the phone while googling everything myself, I decided to actually become good at Linux. (Today I couldn't figure out how to accept a EULA in terminal, but someone helped me out in under ten minutes. I really love you people.)
    Hi Monica,

A big welcome to you on behalf of all members of the forums - I hope you are with us for many years!

With your sense of humour I believe you will fit in very well here - your desire to learn is to be admired as well.

Have a good look around the forums and post any questions that you wish to be solved.

Wishing you all the best for your future!

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Hello everyone. I go by RavenLX in most forums and have been using Ubuntu for a few years now. Mostly I been working with Ubuntu Servers at work (Web hosting). I had then tried Ubuntu desktops and settled on Linux Mint KDE in January. I am 100% Windows-free and enjoying it a lot!

I can't update my profile yet (too few posts) but I will once I get to that point. I have a web site (just look at some of my past posts) where I put up Linux tutorials and info. I am really impressed with all the things that one can do in Linux! Especially in Video editing, image editing, music, development... There are so many programs out there and they work just as well as most commercial Windows programs.

I remember the first time I tried Linux was I think Slackware 1.0! I been trying different distros ever since. At one point I was dual-booting Windows 98 and Mandriva (but it was called by that other name at the time). I think working on a Tandy Color Computer 3 with OS-9 Level II (which was sort of Unix-like in nature with a bit of VAX thrown in, maybe), I think that is why I was pretty comfortable with Linux. I also had a Unix Shell account at an ISP a long time ago and the admin (who became a good friend of mine - RIP 10th of this month was one year) had taught me how to navigate the Unix command line.

So for me, I think Linux was more natural overall than DOS or Windows!

Anyway, that's my introduction. Hope I can be of some help here and learn more about Ubuntu and Linux in general as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RavenLX View Post
    Hello everyone. I go by RavenLX in most forums and have been using Ubuntu for a few years now. Mostly I been working with Ubuntu Servers at work (Web hosting). I had then tried Ubuntu desktops and settled on Linux Mint KDE in January. I am 100% Windows-free and enjoying it a lot!

I can't update my profile yet (too few posts) but I will once I get to that point. I have a web site (just look at some of my past posts) where I put up Linux tutorials and info. I am really impressed with all the things that one can do in Linux! Especially in Video editing, image editing, music, development... There are so many programs out there and they work just as well as most commercial Windows programs.

I remember the first time I tried Linux was I think Slackware 1.0! I been trying different distros ever since. At one point I was dual-booting Windows 98 and Mandriva (but it was called by that other name at the time). I think working on a Tandy Color Computer 3 with OS-9 Level II (which was sort of Unix-like in nature with a bit of VAX thrown in, maybe), I think that is why I was pretty comfortable with Linux. I also had a Unix Shell account at an ISP a long time ago and the admin (who became a good friend of mine - RIP 10th of this month was one year) had taught me how to navigate the Unix command line.

So for me, I think Linux was more natural overall than DOS or Windows!

Anyway, that's my introduction. Hope I can be of some help here and learn more about Ubuntu and Linux in general as well.
    Hi RavenLX,

On behalf of all in the Forums may I offer you a big welcome -

Having checked out your contributions to date it is apparent that you will make an ideal member.

Your enthusiasm is obvious and your expertize will be of great assistance in the answering of queries.

It is not all work and learning however, make sure that you have fun at the same time.

I trust you will be with us for many years,

Cheers and best wishes -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Thank you for the welcome! I am not a guru or anything but I manage. I probably will do just as much (if not more) learning that I will advising/helping.

Beans

Hi all, name is Tom just put ubuntu on my lap top now I am stumped I guess I need to buy a book any suggestions, never played with linux before all knew to me also I am a guy and we don't read the directions very well, shoot I have a hard time following the pictures, Imy wireless works when i can find it for free I mostly use aircards for Canada and the USA. I am also a truck driver and travel all over north america. On my down time I had an older lap top with vista and said why not, egad what was I thinkin' me program lol this is going to be fun i think maybe i hope so.
    Last edited by ADDICTED2GRAVITY; June 28th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ADDICTED2GRAVITY View Post
    I need to buy a book any suggestions ...
    Welcome. You might not need to buy one as there is so much info available online and here. Post any questions in the appropriate forums. You will get help there. Ask for suggestions for a book in the Cafe perhaps, as this thread is strictly for welcomes and intros. Good luck.

Beans

Hi,
    My name is Tom and I am new to Ubuntu. This is something that interests me very much, I haven't used Lunix in ages. I did load my 386 with Linux using 3.5 floppies and dual booted my Windoz 98. But have used Unix since then: Irix by SGI. That was also a long time ago!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman4444 View Post
    Hi,
    My name is Tom and I am new to Ubuntu. This is something that interests me very much, I haven't used Lunix in ages. I did load my 386 with Linux using 3.5 floppies and dual booted my Windoz 98. But have used Unix since then: Irix by SGI. That was also a long time ago!
    Hi Tom,

A big welcome to you from all in the forums - it is good to have someone here from the early years of Linux.

Have a good look around and ask any questions you wish at any time.

I hope you have fun with your new interest with us.

Cheers and good luck -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello World, my name is Rick.
    I am 52 years old, and I live in Delaware, USA.

My friend at work talked me into trying Ubuntu 10.10 over 2 years ago and I am glad I listened.
    One of the things that captured me was the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.
    I had read an article where high school kids had signed the code and I thought, what a wonderful thing for people of any age, especially the young.

I now have 3 computers running Ubuntu... laptop with 12.04, desktop in kitchen with 12.04, and main desktop with 13.04 / Windows XP.
    Thanks to the good people that make it all work!

I actually have fun just using a computer with Ubuntu instead of Windows because it gives me the same feeling of freedom like using solar power rather than batteries, or sailing as opposed to power boating.
    Harnessing the power of freedom, created by free thinking people whose skills provide the energy.

As far as knowledge, my computer skills are very basic.
    I have Ubuntu, not so much in my brain, but in my heart.

Peace,
    Rick

Page 215 of 389 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225265315 ... LastLast