Page 191 of 325 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241291 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 3247

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Greetings to everyone here on ubuntuforums.

My name is Mark, I am from Birmingham England and am a brand new convert to Linux. I apologize for not introducing myself in the correct manner before I started posting, I went to the absolute beginners section as my logical first jumping off point and when I did not see anywhere to introduce myself I just assumed that everyone pitched in at the deep end with discussion in the relevant forum, and I even got one of those wrong Anyway... Hello Everyone!

The massive amount of help that I see freely given between members on these forums has absolutely amazed me, it gives the place a real positive feel and I look forward to becoming a participating member among you all in time to come as I feel that there is a welcome extended already. I have much to learn but am enjoying my early learning with Linux so am hopeful of being able to engage in at least some form of intelligible dialogue re Linux before very long.

Wishing you all well...
    Mark

Beans

Hi everyone. I am Valene. =) Junior in High school and the IT for the schools servers here. Been here a month now. Been testing kernels for the linux kernel developers. You can help test them too with a launchpad account. Just look online on how to install the newer linux kernels on the internet. Here is one link. http://blog-darryldias.rhcloud.com/i...ntulinux-mint/

The linux kernel 3.8.2 says its 'stable' but doesn't feel like it. The linux kernel 3.7.2 seem really stable and full of features over the generic kernels right now. So check them out

I learned alot about linux and android with the help of the developers up in cyanogenmod for the nook color. So those into developing android, it goes hand in hand with linux and our ubuntu distros. Using ubuntu-gnome remix on "virtualbox" hypervisor at the moment.

Come check out my blog over in cyanogenmod also for those wanting to get into development, I got a blog with how the git and github works along with how kernel modules work at this link here. http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/5...n-how-to-code/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi Everybody,
    I am Jitto P.Jose. I am a software engineer from India. I joined ubuntu forums long back in the begining of my ubuntu journey (from 2nd Ubuntu release). Now I guess I am pretty stable in using Ubuntu. So recently I didnt post any queries here..
    Now I am getting some free time. So I am thinking about spending some of my free time in participate in discussions here and try to help people who need help from my limited experience.
    By Profession I am a .NET developer currrently working with ASP.NET MVC and Knowckoutjs. I also maintaining one aggregation website (http://www.hallowdemon.net) in which I share my favourite Ubuntu and OSS related articles.
    Once again a big HI to all ubuntu users... Have a great day.. !!!
    Last edited by jittopjose; March 10th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Find all your favourite Ubuntu articles...
    http://www.hallowdemon.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi all,

This is going to be one very big welcome to -

hjns62
    DCheck2
    puraki
    MustafaJF
    Malo Kingi
    Markup 001
    meteorrock
    jittopjose

I hope I got all those names correctly,

Some of you have already been around for awhile but to you and all the newcomers may I wish you all a very sincere welcome. Have a good look around, get involved but most of all have fun -

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Hi, I'm Darryl. I live in Oregon and have used Ubuntu off and on for a few years. I am now using Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on my Toshiba laptop. Since other family members have acquired windoze machines, I am using Ubuntu pretty exclusively.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MrPCSmasher View Post
    Hi, I'm Darryl. I live in Oregon and have used Ubuntu off and on for a few years. I am now using Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on my Toshiba laptop. Since other family members have acquired windoze machines, I am using Ubuntu pretty exclusively.
    Hi Darryl,

May I offer you a big welcome to the forums.

Have a good look around and ask any questions that come to mind.

You will find that we are a very friendly bunch around here.

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Unhappy Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi, I'm Don and I'm a Linux user.

[Hi, Don]

Of course, one of the first steps (of the 12) is admitting that I have a problem and giving up to a Higher Power...

I've been using Linux and Linux-like OSes for some time now. First tutorials in Unix and C back in 1984 or so. Made a living writing shell script (sh, not bash) starting about 1986, with interesting deviations from time to time, including the Mac Developer's Workbench product (similar to their Unix variant ca. 1992, in having 'Command-O' (pronounced 'commando') as a GUI frontend to CLI interface).

Starting a project developing C++ in Eclipse on Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit, running in a VMWare Fusion 5.02 VM on MacOS 10.8.2, MacBook Pro Core i5. Wanted to replace the Unity interface (not comfortable with it) with something lighter or more traditional. Found out that the AutoProtect and Snapshot features are really helpful. After installing Gnome, I selected one of the alternative WMs - no problem. Selected another, and the system starts up, does not present a login prompt, but shows just the backdrop. Was able to login remotely, and also with Virtual Terminal, but haven't been able to figure out how to restore.

Since the Ubuntu intro I'm using suggests using Launchpad, I've posted a question there (https://answers.launchpad.net/unity/+question/224012) with a little more detail.

Any hints? I've managed to set up another copy with AutoSave turned on so I can duplicate and undo the problem, but I'd like to know how to reset the Window Manager at the file level. Then I would be able to fix this if it happens on a client's system.

As you can [maybe] see from my handle, I'm located in St Louis, MO. I've been working at other levels, and X11 has been one of my greatest weaknesses - mostly working with stdio and stream processing. This newfangled GUI stuff is new to me (at least, getting this deep into troubleshooting it).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi MacDude-StL and welcome.

This is not a support thread nor a support sub-forum. The thread is intended for new user intros only so as for hints to your problem, yes, posting on Launchpad is good and also post a new thread in the appropriate support forum here using a descriptive title and as much detail as you can muster. You will have more luck. (You could cut your post from 'Starting a project developing C++ ...', expand on it and paste in new thread in support forum.)

Your wealth of experience will no doubt be well appreciated here so enjoy the OS, the desktop environments and the learning curve. Good luck and see you round the forums.

(* Gnome, Unity, Xfce, Lxde, etc are usually referred to here as Desktop Enviornments.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; March 12th, 2013 at 12:18 PM.

Beans

Hey everyone, I'm Yhan and it's great to be a part of something as good as Ubuntu. Many thanks to all of you who have contributed to making this project great. I've been using Ubuntu since 10.04. Took a lot to get used to but it has been a rewarding experience. Ubuntu is a great distro and i've recommended it to quite a number of my colleagues as well. Ubuntu has helped me develop to the point that i'm now trying archbang but Ubuntu is my main distro on my laptop and based on where I see we are headed, it will remain that way.

Great work Ubuntu Team
    Looking forward to 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am just awesome nuff said
    loving the lemur ultra

Page 191 of 325 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241291 ... LastLast