Page 177 of 389 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 3890

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Greetings, all,

I've been using Linux off and on for about 9 or 10 years, but kept shying away from it when I ran into too many problems. Now I'm learning more about the CLI and want to understand how to solve problems myself. My goal is to use Linux for 90% of my computing needs within one year.

Started with Suse years ago, played around with different distros, am currently using Puppy Linux and Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: Newbie

Have a nice stay here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by bhaumikra View Post
    My Self Bhaumik i am 26yr old i am based in Mumbai, IND, i Like to Read book's, Article. and making New Friend's
    Threads merged, welcome to the forum.

Beans

Talking Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hey I'm elle!!!

I was able to Dual boot Ubuntu a few months ago and just decided to join the forum. I LOVE ubuntu and haven't booted windows in awhile now. I'm just here looking for some like minded people 2 chat with!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome to the community, Elle, and yes, Ubuntu rocks!

Beans

Hello everyone,

Pleas allow me to introduce myself. My first name is Frans, my Nick is Ballie (pronounced: Ballee) which is a short version of my surname.

You can find me in The Neterlands, where I'm lucky to be married to my wife (at least, that what she allways says, I tend to disagree ) spending most of my private life, doing whatever she tells me to do

And spending most of my professional life at a ready-mix plant, where I'm busy being a jack of most trades. Meaning that I mainly drive a ready-mix truck (whith a max. load capacity of 13.5 cubic metres and a max total weight of 50 metric tons), besides that I'm a licensed lab-tachnician, so I regularly replace our concrete technologist in his absence. Besides that I frequently step in as a process operator/planner whenever the regular operator is otherwise occupied.

I already looked at (K)Ubuntu a couple of times in the past decade, but never really got the hang of it, so I reverted back to Widoze. Mainly as a necessaty, because that was familiar territory. And I couldn't get things in linux to work the way it should.

However, linux kept pulling at my jacket, trying to catch my attention, so a couple of weeks ago I tried again. This time with Kubuntu 12.10 inside a Virtualbox installation. This way I can allways switcht back and forth if needed. But I find myself using linux most of the time. So I think there will be a switch someday soon. Especially now the day is getting nearer that my current pc's life will end and it 'll have to be replaced by a new one. Forcing me to use that dragon they call Windows 8, from a company where they think that they have to do the thinking for me. Sorry for them, but I'd like to decide how my machine is run myself.

I love the terminal way of life. Meaning, that I like the way I can get things done using the terminal. Also I'm rediscovering aliases. I used to use those a lot in the pre-wndows era. Using M$-Dos 3.something and 4DOS, I had a lot of those handy commands lying around. So it was very nice to see that those are supported in linux as well.

Currently I'm quite happy the way it´ s running now, so I think I'll keep it the way it is for now...

Beans

I'm Doc and I'm new to all the open source stuff, but I've been experimenting and I love it! Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@ Ballie and DocMarlor: Welcome to the community and enjoy! There are a lot of helpful (and friendly) and knowledgable folk here. Just use a descriptive title on your new threads with any issues and remember to mark threads solved when they are. Both of these things will help others.

Good luck.

Beans

Smile Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

14-year old Xubuntu Quetzal user here.

I've been using Linux for about 3 weeks now. Previously used OS X, so I'm familiar with all of the standard *nix commands (ls, chmod, cd, chown, rm, sudo, etc.).

I admit, I am not your bog-standard 14-year-old. I am an undeniable geek. I have accumulated more electronic gadgetry than perhaps any other teenager on the planet. I own two desktop computers (custom built), a Thinkpad, an Ideapad, an Acer Chromebook, a Kindle, a Kindle Fire, a Nexus 4, an iPod classic, and two external hard drives (and before you ask, I paid for everything myself). I know how to program in QBASIC, and I shell script quite often.

A few things about me: Oddly, my favorite genre of music is jazz (geeks are supposed to be unique, right?). I love to read. Whatever it is, if it's interesting, I'll read it. From classic literary works to programming textbooks, I love to read. I also love to write. I also have an odd quirk -- I'll be restless if I cannot figure out how something works. How does a car's engine stay balanced? How do aircraft lift off of the ground? How do telephones transmit voice over analog wires? I have a strong desire to figure out how things work, an unfortunate childhood curiosity that never seems to have left me, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I hope my time at the forums will be great. Looking forward to getting to know some fellow GNU/Linux users!

Beans

Post Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

New here and to Ubuntu. I have no computer experience. My son gave me his laptop and he installed Lubuntu on it. I am getting use to the laptop after years on a desktop(which he also installed Lubuntu on) I have much to learn and it is frustrating as I do not know computer language. I have lots of questions and my son has gone back home so I am basically on my own.

I hope that I will be able to get help and hopefully it will be in very simple terms.

I am married 30 years, 4 children and one grandchild. Live in NY- state of high taxes, and no large sodas. LOL

I love Johnny Depp, history, hockey and crafts.

Page 177 of 389 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast