Page 148 of 336 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 3354

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Ok, well I've been using linux for about a week now. I went with the Gnome Classic shell in Ubuntu 12.04 and I'm running it through parallels on my Macbook Pro. With the exception of it crashing a couple of times due to compatibility issues either with Parallels or Compiz or Something else, I've loved the adaptability of it. A couple of annoying things I haven't found a working solution to are:
    ~no middle mouse button with a two or three finger click.. though I currently have a workaround by using the right command button.
    ~The top and bottom panels can apparently only change color where there are no applets. What's up with that?
    ~It seems like people sometimes leave steps out which may be obvious to a more experienced user.

I also have lots of questions like: If I were to start linux on a fresh computer, what are some descent system requirements as far as memory and cpu goes?
    And even though i think ubuntu kicks a$&, is there a more stable and reliable distro that offers the same amount of adaptability?

i apologize if i went on too long or in the wrong area. - NRG

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome,

Quote Originally Posted by Natrogon View Post

i apologize if i went on too long or in the wrong area. - NRG
    No probs. Take note, though: 'Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here,' from the description of this sub-forum.

If you are wanting help, ask as many questions as you like but in the appropriate sub-forum. Use a descriptive thread title, and make your new threads about single problems rather than five at once. Easier that way ...

Give as much info as you can about your issue. The more the community know about the prob the better chance you have of getting help. Post a link to your new thread here if you like. Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 6th, 2012 at 09:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello forum!

I am Lightning Dragon, or LD if you want, and though I'm new to the forums, I am not new to Ubuntu/Linux. I have been using it for years and years, before I ever had Windows. I remember playing games like KQ (Sad I can't find it anymore), drawing in GIMP (In fact, I still do! Lovely program), messing around with the beautiful, futuristic designs of Ubuntu and more. Always loved the fact that I could depend on Ubuntu--never once got a virus from using it, even if it sounds absurd (?).

Well, anyways, that's all? Hope I can become a Ubuntur native here.

LD!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@LD: With that kind of background and experience I'm sure you will! Welcome.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi and welcome to all the new members

Beans

I've been playing around with Ubuntu for a couple of months now. I need to get my brain re-engaged after going through a bone marrow transplant a few years ago, and decided to learn Python by translating an old Apple ][ adventure program to it. Which lead to seeing what it took to get it running on more than one operating system.

I admin'd a couple of SCO Xenix systems (Not the trolls that have that name now) back before the Pentium days, so I have a little background in Unix type systems.

Found the forums here while trying to figure out how to get the wireless on my Dell working again after updating to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The solution popped right up, tho I don't have a clue what the commands I copied into Xterm did.

I currently work for bean counter, now I see that I'll be associating with more.

I am now waiting for the Raspberry Pi I ordered to show up. Hard to believe after starting out with a 32k system for over 2000 1979 dollars that I now can get a complete system for $35.

Anyone knows if there will be a Ubuntu version capable of running on an Arm chip? The whole purpose of the Raspberry Pi is to get it in the hands of future IT types who never would normally be able to afford a computer.

Later...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The Raspberry Pi look fantastic! I want one. As the chip at the heart of the thing is Broadcom, and they play nice with wireless cards, perhaps it will like all things, or at least some, Ubuntu.

*** Update: From their site:

SOFTWARE
    What operating system (OS) does it use?
    We recommend Debian as our default distribution. It’s straightforward to replace the root partition on the SD card with another ARM Linux distro if you want to use something else (there are several available on our downloads page). The OS is stored on the SD card.
    That would count Ubuntu in, but:

What Linux distros will be supported at launch?
    Fedora, Debian and ArchLinux will be supported from the start. We hope to see support from other distros later. (Because of issues with newer releases of Ubuntu and the ARM processor we are using, Ubuntu can’t commit to support Raspberry Pi at the moment.) You will be able to download distro images from us as soon as the Raspberry Pi is released, and we will also be selling pre-loaded SD cards shortly after release.
    PS: I'm so excited I put a thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12087484
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 9th, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hello,

My name is Jimi, and I am still pretty new to linux. I am using it here at work. I tried openSuSe for a bit and I have heard about unbuntu so I thought I would give it a try as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Why not say hello to everyone? Post your introduction here!
    What a good idea, Elfy!

My forums name is Lord of Time. My real name is Thomas, and I am an Ubuntu Member. My primary focus is nginx and (basic) iptables support, but I have been branching out into handling bugs lately.

On Launchpad (see my signature), I am a member of the BugSquad and Bug Control groups. I am also part of the nginx team on launchpad.

I tend to have widely varying focuses for support, so... meh.

I am usually on the IRC, so you can just poke me there as needed.

Beans

HELLO EVERYONE! I'm a newly signed up recruit of the ubuntu community an figure I introduce myself nan join the community instead of stalking it for howto's and awesome stuff (sorry if that sounds creepy at all haha). http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smili...cornsmiley.gif

Page 148 of 336 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast