Page 118 of 325 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 3248

Thread: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Beans

Re: Welcome to the Forums - Introduce yourself here

Hi everyone. I'm Rick Umali, and I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 yesterday on an old computer (a Dell D600), and I wanted to dip my toe into the community. I'm a computer person by day and night, and I write a technical BLOG at http://tech.rickumali.com/.

I live in Greater Boston, Massachusetts (USA). Peace!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Welcome to the forums!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi guys! I'm John, and I've been a true Linux nut for a good six years. (Spent about a year reading/researching Linux in general and trying some distros through VMs before making the big jump with a native install, so I've only been using Ubuntu for five years, actually.)

I'm only 51% geek, statistically speaking, so that doesn't make me a knowledgeable guru in the slightest of ways, (Still can't do advanced stuff with the UCLI.) but regardless of that, I'm fairly comfortable in front of a terminal window. The knowledge I've gained from books and this community has helped me get this far with Ubuntu, and I hope to eventually contribute to these boards myself, in time!

Beans

Re: Using Ubuntu for Virtualization host

Hi everyone nelson new here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Using Ubuntu for Virtualization host

Quote Originally Posted by johny122 View Post
    Hi everyone nelson new here.
    Post moved... welcome to the forum.

Welcome to you all.

Beans

Hello all. I am new here and pretty new to Ubuntu. I keep trying to get involved and convert my family off of apple and microsoft products to make my house completely open source but keep getting pulled back to the dark side. This is my third attempt to convert my wife and kids to open source to get them off of the corporate teet.

I was recently on TDY and dropped by a buddys house. He introduced me to media center in Win7. He ripped all of his DVDs onto 3 2Tb drives and put the machine into his entertainment center with wireless keyboard/mouse. He runs HD across HDMI to his 42" plasma and the sound through 5.1 Dolby surround on his theater system. Looked and sounded awesome!

Before I left he donated me a broke SR1750NX to build my media center. In my time of troubleshooting I finally discovered the 320G SATA drive had some indexing issues and caused the machine to run super slow if at all. It took me two days to get Ubuntu 11.10 to load on it and it was super sluggish. Last night I picked up a 250G SATA and had Ubuntu 11.10 up and running in about 15 mins!

I love how fast the machine is with the low overhead OS. I can literally perform a "sudo shutdown -r now" command and have the machine awaiting my login in less then a mintute. I was going to drop Win7 on top of the Ubuntu 11.10 but now am having second thoughts as I read how efficient with low processor Ubuntu is at replaying DVD/BlueRay movies. Now I want to keep it as a Ubuntu box and configure it as my media center behind my entertainment center and put alll my dvds in storage to clean up the place a bit.

My current issues are:
    no network. Currently I have a WPA enabled Cable modem through a Zoom router on Comcast. I probably need to run a hard line to the cable modem but when I piggy backed on another machine last night I noticed Ubuntu didn't even recognize my onboard ethernet. I think the onboard is a RelTek so I need to sort through driver issues as I have read so far. First order is get inet network working.

setup wireless. I do have a WG311v2 card in the machine that is also not recognized by the system. Once I get the hardline to be recognized then I can download the drivers to get the wireless working, but am finding more and more posts that Ubuntu doesn't do WPA/WPA2? Whats up with that? I may have to enable the WEP just for my Ubuntu box until I can find a better solution.

Next order after internet is solved is to load XBMC for playback and verify the HDMI in on the back forwards the sound to the TV and stereo. The SR1750 also has the 5.1 Dolby connector on the back so I need to verify that is sending sound to the receiver. there are a couple ways I can go about getting video and sound to the entertainment center.

Then I need to find a DVD ripper to load the system. Earlier this week I ordered 2 2Tb drives for the movies to be loaded onto. For now I can rip my collection onto the 250G until the 4Tb shows up. I think I will need another SATA controller though because this SR1750 only has two SATA controllers and I will need more. With any luck I can get some more of these 2Tb drives and create a RAID5 to protect from loosing my movies.

Once I get this thing running correctly I can start upgrading with the extra SATA controller and more drives. I also want to upgrade to a BlueRay player to rip blue rays into the system. I have a Plasma capable of 1080P so I may as well use it!

Meanwhile I will be surfing and searching the boards to find the answers to all of these questions to build this machine. Otherwise if you know how to fix some of my issues please feel free to drop me a pm or Email with the solutions. I am a sponge for data on the fastest and most efficient way to get this media center going.

Thanks in advance for all your support and the great community of support for Ubuntu systems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi and welcome.

To get support for your issues post in a support forum - here's a direct link to start a thread in ABT http://ubuntuforums.org/newthread.ph...ewthread&f=326

Have a look at the Help people help you link in my sig before you start support threads.

Good luck rrtobin

Beans

Hey

As my uni course covers setting up headless Ubuntu servers I thought it was fair time to give linux another shot.

Its going ok so far except I don't think my hardware is being utilized very efficiently going off fan noise, and I cant get my USB to serial adapter to work with the supplied Linux drivers

Beans

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!
    I'm an Italian boy interested in Ubuntu (and its development).
    But I'm now here looking for someone who can help me improving (or, just learning ) my bad English...
    Maybe just with some chat (irc or whatever) or some e-mails...

If you are interested in loosing some time with me , or if you want to learn Italian language, just pm me.

Thanks a lot!
    Bye!
    David

Page 118 of 325 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast